onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New signing Zac Mills

Doha

1 hour ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Would Oyeleke playing the holding midfield role spare the hamstrings and save on injuries perhaps and is Hurst a left wing back or a left winger and along with Cambell-Gordon will be 20 this season and so can they be considered as squad players

Trickett-Smith has anyone seen the lad play once highly rated now 24 an attacking midfielder.

Maybe, but I don't think that is Manny's game. 

I've seen Tricket-Smith play. For Vale and Leek. Not seen anything to make me think he was anything other than a Smurf punt.

Hope I'm wrong.

Advert

1 hour ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Brown/GK

Gibbons/Mills

Smith/Legge/Brisley/Crookes

Montano/Cambell-Gordon

Oyeleke/Burgess/Joyce/Conlon/Trickett-Smith/MF

Amoo/Browne/Worrall/Hurst

Pope/Cullen/Rodney/ST

21 players signed up still needing a keeper/midfielder/striker and even then if Clark and Taylor become available on loan then the likes of Cambell-Gordon and Hurst could go out on loan maybe.....and is Trickett-Smith in the managers plans at all.

Would Oyeleke playing the holding midfield role spare the hamstrings and save on injuries perhaps and is Hurst a left wing back or a left winger and along with Cambell-Gordon will be 20 this season and so can they be considered as squad players and expect to get games or do they need another year out on loan.....finally Trickett-Smith has anyone seen the lad play once highly rated now 24 an attacking midfielder.

Trickett-Smith played in the Newcastle game. Played more as a right winger. Unlucky not to score with a header which resulted in a fabulous save. Played the ball through for the Browne goal which wasn't given. Showed some ability but also drfted out of the game at times 

7 minutes ago, JRC said:

Trickett-Smith played in the Newcastle game. Played more as a right winger. Unlucky not to score with a header which resulted in a fabulous save. Played the ball through for the Browne goal which wasn't given. Showed some ability but also drfted out of the game at times 

He looked pretty light weight when he played for us in the tin pot trophy. Plus he has done nothing much when out on loan.

Hope it works out with him, but looks a long shot to me.

Thanks for the comments on Trickett-Smith and another Smurf signing that neither Aspin or Askey seem to rate and it wouldn't surprise if the lad simply goes out on a season long loan to Leek or somesuch till the contract runs down never to be seen at Vale Park again.

Whereas Hurst is highly rated and signed by Askey turns 21 this season and could make the squad and get some games this season...could be a good prospect and an understudy for Worrall maybe or is the lad more of a wing back.

Cambell-Gordon has just done first year professional and is 19 and probably would benefit from a loan spell particularly if Clark did come on loan and perhaps the season after next is a more realistic timeline for the youth to break into the first team squad.

All in all decent goalkeeper cover another midfielder and striker would complete the squad and to be greedy loan deals for Taylor and Clark would be to infinity and beyond.

Thoughts on the striker with Pope not really able to play two in a week and perhaps not a regular 90 minutes and Cullen with that injury record then as Rodney is something of a development project a possibly first choice goalscorer rather than a fourth choice option is probably needed.

The midfielder question is also problematic because if say Taylor were to sign then the consideration really is defensive holding midfield as competition for Joyce but if Taylor does go to a higher level and most seem to want goals from midfield the squad could be short of genuine cover  for Joyce who is not getting any younger.

One proven League Two forward and another midfielder (Manny can't be relied upon) along with a left back (Clark?) and we'll be good to go, that's not taking into consideration any loans.

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Clarke(?)

Conlon Joyce Burgess

Worrall Cullen Amoo

Subs: 

???, Brisley, Mills, Oyeleke, Brown, Rodney, Pope

I've seen Tricket-Smith play. For Vale and Leek. Not seen anything to make me think he was anything other than a Smurf punt.
Hope I'm wrong.
Wasn't that his role at aldershot when he won player of the year? I've said for ages now he's perfect for that role. A more mobile and skillful Joyce. Just my opinion

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:
8 hours ago, toyahw said:
Hope I'm wrong.

Wasn't that his role at aldershot when he won player of the year? I've said for ages now he's perfect for that role. A more mobile and skillful Joyce. Just my opinion

I agree, that’s who I’m hoping will fill Joyce’s boots eventually (injuries permitting). I don’t think we need another DM for that reason. I think we need to concentrate on Taylor type players who will contribute goals. Trickett -Smith will just get sent out on loan, so at the moment that only leaves us with 4 out and out midfield players (Wozza and Mills can fill in).

I think he’ll complete the permanent signings in the next 3 weeks (GK, CM, ST) and then leave a bit of the budget for a couple of loans players (hopefully Clark and Taylor)

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

One proven League Two forward and another midfielder (Manny can't be relied upon) along with a left back (Clark?) and we'll be good to go, that's not taking into consideration any loans.

Brown

Gibbons Smith Legge Clarke(?)

Conlon Joyce Burgess

Worrall Cullen Amoo

Subs: 

???, Brisley, Mills, Oyeleke, Brown, Rodney, Pope

I think JA views Monty as his no1 left back. Getting Clark in would be ideal though. 

12 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I think JA views Monty as his no1 left back. Getting Clark in would be ideal though. 

I still think a left back coming in is a must. That area was targeted so often by the opposition last season.

What’s good about Askeys recruitment policy and  with Mills coming in too is that we have players who can (if needed) do a job elsewhere on the pitch. I’m not saying they should play out of position long term but if the situation arises with a suspension or an injury then we can get by. 

gibbons RB LB

mills RB LB

crookes CH LB

Smith CH RB

Worrall RM LM CM

Amoo RM LM

Monty LM LB

Its interesting reading the comments about experience at this level with Mills. He’s now 28 and the majority of his career has been non league, but on the face of it he looks to have made the step up this last 4 years playing for league 2 clubs. But believe it or not looking at the stats Gibbo is very nearly on 100 appearance for us, which is pretty good going at only 22 years old. 

29 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I still think a left back coming in is a must. That area was targeted so often by the opposition last season.

What’s good about Askeys recruitment policy and  with Mills coming in too is that we have players who can (if needed) do a job elsewhere on the pitch. I’m not saying they should play out of position long term but if the situation arises with a suspension or an injury then we can get by. 

gibbons RB LB

mills RB LB

crookes CH LB

Smith CH RB

Worrall RM LM CM

Amoo RM LM

Monty LM LB

Its interesting reading the comments about experience at this level with Mills. He’s now 28 and the majority of his career has been non league, but on the face of it he looks to have made the step up this last 4 years playing for league 2 clubs. But believe it or not looking at the stats Gibbo is very nearly on 100 appearance for us, which is pretty good going at only 22 years old. 

I’d say 4 years is long enough to know league 2. He also got player of the year at this level. 

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I noticed that too. He did it last season to some extent. Callum Evans was RB cover but also played defensive midfield in the FLT. Ryan Lloyd could cover a number of positions. I guess it means he doesn't have to have a massive squad if he has a few who can play in several positions.

I guess the difference this season is he looks to be targeting higher quality "utility" players. Mills certainly seems a step up on Evans.

12 hours ago, Santa said:

I wonder if the club expects a bid to come in for Gibbons at any point during the window?

Luckily under contract, Which is insurance for us. Gibbo still has plenty of improvement to make, discipline is one aspect, some reds ridiculous but he still gets a lot of yellow cards. 

I am of the opinion it's proper genuine competition for him. Askey proved he is loyal to those who have the shirt. So if Mills gets an opportunity for whatever reason he will keep Gibbo out on merit.

No golden boys in the eyes of JA he utilises the squad and as a result it appears a happy camp. 

Interesting comments about Oyekeke who upon signing was described as a midfielder who liked to drive forward and who had also played a lot at right back before moving into midfield.....however Oyeleke has had regular injury problems particularly with hamstring problems and so perhaps a more holding midfield role with less driving forward policing centre midfield as a midfield general might see Oyeleke playing more regularly and seeing the physio less...didn't know that was infact where Oyeleke played at Aldershot won player of the year and a move to Vale.

Also long term Conlon could play as a deep playmaker having the best passing range of the midfielders so perhaps both Oyeleke and Conlon could also play that role because Joyce is not getting any younger.

In the worst case scenario Taylor and Clark do not return on loan Oyeleke and Cullen are again long term absent through injury and Trickett-Smith vanishes to non-league again never to be seen again not to forget Pope cannot be expected to play a full 90 minutes regularly anymore.....so that leaves the midfield with a total reliable personnel of Burgess/Joyce/Conlon although Worrall can play there and Mills can fill in so a new signing midfielder has to be proven quality and reliable....likewise with Pope and Cullen both being somewhat part-time perhaps in terms of full-time ever present availability during a season then apart from Rodney a young development project the striker signing really needs to be a first choice goalscorer.

So we need three signings a very decent keeper as back up but essentially a quality midfielder and quality striker that go straight into the first team.....could be a couple of exciting signings .

Even than if that completes the squad in terms of signings Askey is certain to get a couple of young loan players in at the last minute and even if not Taylor and Clark likely a left back such that Cambell-Gordon can go out on loan to get game time and experience and certainly another midfielder which would certainly spell the end for Trickett-Smith and a one way to non-league on loan....however the enigma in the squad is Hurst a cracking player who could break through this season but left wing back/left midfield/left wing just where does the lad break through.

Thankyou for allowing such indulgence in so much "air thinking" but during this concerning pandemic age of anxiety the pure escapism and the cognitive therapy benefits of positivity and the real and present values that Port Vale hold as self evident under brilliant ownership and the squad spirit and vision of Askey is going in only one direction and that is up.

2 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I’d say 4 years is long enough to know league 2. He also got player of the year at this level. 

I said the same in my post that he looks to have made the step up over the last 4 years.

Archived