• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think on the football side I’m fairly neutral if I’m honest. Smith is a very good player don’t get me wrong, better suited to L1 than L2 if you ask me. Look at Brisley’s performances and our results

But if we get into Europe and play 60 games a season he'll do it sooner than that??

Great post.  Our previous chairman once said, whilst drunk on Twitter, that 'football is a village'. One of the few correct things he ever said. Word gets round. Agents talk. Players talk.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Ah the life of fickle football fans Is a predicate lot ...... last week he was replaceable, league one standard at best and was trying to put one over on the club. Today that’s all forgotten and we’re all happy again 😀

Great news. It’s also a good sign that we’ve managed to keep and re-sign all those players that were consistent for us last season. 

Its possible for him to be a replaceable, League 1 standard defender, whilst also being pleased that a 24 year old League 1 standard defender has committed two years to us.

• Like 1

I honestly don’t think I’ve been this pleased to see a player re-sign in years! 

What Nathan brings to the team is invaluable and I’m so pleased we will have him for at least another two years. Who knows where we will he in two years... 

To re-sign all of the out of contract players is a big statement. We are three or four more additions off having a really competitive squad.

Edited by Portvale4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

UNBELIEVABLY good news.....brilliant Smiffy! Another bottle of red wifey....!

More so Bon'Ami in light of RobF's comment in his other topic..."It means that every player offered a new contract this summer has agreed a deal."

Is this a first - I wonder?

• Like 2

A reminder of my post on Thursday - Goodbye Smithy 

Surely any footballer must have the ambition to play in as high a league as they possibly can. Smithy has stated that it is a difficult decision, Vale have looked after him since his teens and he has given Vale 110% commitment. He has not rejected the offer because he would gladly stay if that career move did not materialise during the difficult months ahead. All clubs will be carefully looking at their finances at the moment as I am sure there is another Wigan / Bury waiting to happen. If he can achieve a Championship move then no Vale fan can decry him of that chance. Best wishes Smithy, wherever you may be next season.

Glad to see he proved some people wrong, as he has said he has unfinished business - 200 appearances and a promotion. If he does maintain his progress over the next two years and a big move beckons, Vale will benefit financially. 

Football at lower levels is a horrible place for players. Port Vale is now run by sensible people and its in a good phase potentially. I think he has made a good decision and he is a player that has striven to improve. Very visible last season. So extremely pleasing signing. Can he beat Roy S and get a statue!

Edited by Warren

Football at lower levels is a horrible place for players. Port Vale is now run by sensible people and its in a good phase potentially. I think he has made a good decision and he is a player that has striven to improve. Very visible last season. So extremely pleasing signing. Can he beat Roy S and get a statue!
It's an interesting one. He'd have to be lucky with injuries and longevity, he'd likely need to be playing for us untill he is at least 37 to beat Sproson. Hope he gives it a good go!

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I think on the football side I’m fairly neutral if I’m honest. Smith is a very good player don’t get me wrong, better suited to L1 than L2 if you ask me. Look at Brisley’s performances and our results when he came in* (I’m ignoring Swindon because I convinced if we became the new Man City and them bottom of the EFL we’d still lose there). And also, you wonder what the financial cost is and whether that money could have been spent on that striker who really would make a difference...?

HOWEVER..... the message this sends out is immense, both to players and (spit, spit) agents. Port Vale is no longer the two-bob, do everything on the cheap, tin-pot organisation Bratt and Smurthwaite turned us into.

We are becoming a club players WANT to come to rather than being the booby prize. If you want a stable, well-run club who negotiate contracts properly go to Port Vale. If you want to be coached into a better footballer, go to Port Vale. If you want to contribute to and inspire the local community, go to Port Vale. If you want to work towards life after playing, go to Port Vale.

But well done Nathan for believing in us and of course the owners. The way this is playing out, I have a hunch that he’ll knuckle down and get us to the top of the League, we’ll have another big FA Cup away day where we cause a major upset, and he then gets his Championship move in January on the back of this netting us a big fat transfer fee in the process!! You heard it here first.....

Good points made.

You only have to watch the videos with Worrall , Montano, Joyce plus many more. 

Our club is now an attractive proposition rather than a leper. 

The gesture for example when Taylor had his car nicked, brilliant by Vale , word gets around. 

Smith was /is  an integral part of the team and notched quite a few goals too. We all know he is not Maldini but what he is is a wholehearted defender who has done very well in such a short time. He had dips in form and has come back better and stronger, credit to him and credit to JA who has completely galvanised the playing side. 

I'm excited for the season ( as long as we are able to attend). Not presumptuous or assuming anything but surely we start in a very very good place. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I think on the football side I’m fairly neutral if I’m honest. Smith is a very good player don’t get me wrong, better suited to L1 than L2 if you ask me. Look at Brisley’s performances and our results when he came in* (I’m ignoring Swindon because I convinced if we became the new Man City and them bottom of the EFL we’d still lose there). And also, you wonder what the financial cost is and whether that money could have been spent on that striker who really would make a difference...?

HOWEVER..... the message this sends out is immense, both to players and (spit, spit) agents. Port Vale is no longer the two-bob, do everything on the cheap, tin-pot organisation Bratt and Smurthwaite turned us into.

We are becoming a club players WANT to come to rather than being the booby prize. If you want a stable, well-run club who negotiate contracts properly go to Port Vale. If you want to be coached into a better footballer, go to Port Vale. If you want to contribute to and inspire the local community, go to Port Vale. If you want to work towards life after playing, go to Port Vale.

But well done Nathan for believing in us and of course the owners. The way this is playing out, I have a hunch that he’ll knuckle down and get us to the top of the League, we’ll have another big FA Cup away day where we cause a major upset, and he then gets his Championship move in January on the back of this netting us a big fat transfer fee in the process!! You heard it here first.....

Great post. 

Our previous chairman once said, whilst drunk on Twitter, that 'football is a village'.

One of the few correct things he ever said. Word gets round. Agents talk. Players talk.

"My mate X was well looked after at Vale, good manager and sound owners".

We've been the outcast of football for my 20 years as a fan. Finally it feels like people want to sign for the Vale, and we're not the last resort.

• Like 3

Glad he's signed for us and has bought into getting Vale promoted and what our owners are trying to achieve.  

But as all people know players come and go, so can be replaced.  Hoped a higher up club would not offer the ambition our owners have for the club and he would leave.

Things are looking good at Vale.  A few key additions and promotions look possible.

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
2 hours ago, Warren said:

It's an interesting one. He'd have to be lucky with injuries and longevity, he'd likely need to be playing for us untill he is at least 37 to beat Sproson. Hope he gives it a good go!

But if we get into Europe and play 60 games a season he'll do it sooner than that??

• Like 3