Sign in to follow this  

Shortened season

I’ve been off the site for a bit so apologies if this is common knowledge.

Why would the owners agree to foregoing the rest of the regular season with us so close to the playoffs and a good chance of getting in with form and the remaining fixtures?

The news says all 24 clubs voted in favour, including us.

Was it just a case of being responsible with safety precautions  and our situation is just not worth putting that at risk? and we would perhaps look pretty bad if we objected alone anyway I suppose.

Maybe I’ve answered my own question, but have I?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, 1 said:

Why would the owners agree to foregoing the rest of the regular season with us so close to the playoffs and a good chance of getting in with form and the remaining fixtures?

Was it just a case of being responsible with safety precautions  and our situation is just not worth putting that at risk? and we would perhaps look pretty bad if we objected alone anyway I suppose.

Not a Vale supporter then 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680382

I know , its shocking , was really looking forward to going down to London and have a cracking Monday afternoon  watching Vale at Wembley with me mates !!…………..oh hang on a minute ?

It was pointless carrying on the season in our case. The top two leagues needed to do so for TV money. 

We get next to nothing in league 2 from TV. As a result every match held, except the playoffs which are televised, would be being played at a loss. 

1. It was the right thing to do for the game as a whole.

2. We had one vote against 21 who would never vote for it and 3 who would vote with us.

So it was a choice of either accept it and put the club in good standing or kick up a fuss and will, but end up losing the vote ala Peterborough

• Like 1

It was a gamble of 500k in costs to play on for the possibility of gaining promotion where we would have an extra 500k a year in payments plus an increased wage bill. So even if we had won promotion we would not have been in a financial position to get the quality players we would need to make a go of it. Plus there was no way the other clubs would of said yes so we have come out of it looking good in the eyes of the football world

• Like 1