New striker signing - Devante Rodney

14 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Rodney looks a great signing. Still plenty of potential and has a strong pedigree. 

Lad on Twitter informs me he's non-league, we need experienced League 2 players to get promoted, and we can't be wasting money on reserves.

I know its a game of opinions, and the debate is half of the fun, but I proper despair at times...

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heard a few tit-bits about this signing today. The management at Salford didn't want to lose him but were told he had to be let go to finance the signing of Andrade, Elliott and Wilson in January. All

The vast majority of the time, I tend to read social media following on from the arrival of a mew signing,  and I’m absolutely baffled at the negativity that gets thrown around given the fact 99% of V

Also we have a manager in Askey, that against the odds got us pushing for promotion.  Had it not been for the virus and the benevolence of our superb owners, we may well have been putting a league one

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Lad on Twitter informs me he's non-league, we need experienced League 2 players to get promoted, and we can't be wasting money on reserves.

I know its a game of opinions, and the debate is half of the fun, but I proper despair at times...

Is not Askey looking for 2 strikers?  As for signing a striker from Halifax, Vardy went on to play for England.

21 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Is not Askey looking for 2 strikers?  As for signing a striker from Halifax, Vardy went on to play for England.

I think he was quoted as saying 2 strikers, so maybe this Rodney fella plus a more conventional central striker.

32 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

He is.

2 Strikers

Backup GK

Fullback

Smith replacement

Midfielder

is I think what's been said, so 6 signings (5 after tomorrow). 3 of them (Smith replacement, 1 forward, and maybe the fullback) to go straight into the first 11.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

This place is much better. I avoid Twitter and Facebook personally. Because their opinions are a bit daft. Of course it is their right to do so. And only my own opinion. 

As an overseas Vale fan I would just like to say we are doing our best for our club. I an sure that you appreciate that.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Last season we had a pretty settled side but with injuries and suspensions we still used 31 players. About 6 didn't play a significant number of games but that still leaves 25 who did. We currently have a squad of 18. Without the option of loans outside the window we do need to spend some money on squad players. Pope and Cullen will be on good money and you'd expect the other forward we are after to be of a similar standard. That's probably 25 to 30% of the budget on 3 players. We can't afford to spend top dollar on a 4th striker and realistically a big name isn't going to come to be 4th choice.  At some point during the season its likely injuries and suspension will mean the 4th choice striker will be the only one on the bench and we will need him to play. Only 11 players scored double figures last season in league 2. Only 2 are out of contract and not from a side promoted, Palmer and Theo Robinson. That's pretty slim pickings to find 2 proven strikers even if we could afford 2.

Who knows if he's good enough to be starting league 2 games. I'm sure you could trawl through twitter and find some supporters convinced he's premiership quality. Top half of The National League and bottom 5 or 6 of this league are pretty interchangeable.  Relegated teams rarely come straight back to league 2 and promoted teams rarely end up back in The National League. If it is Rodney or someone else I'm sure he will have been watched, video analysed and the management have decided there is enough to work with. It's small margins that determine if a player can make it in the next league up but there are an awful lot of league 2 players who have made that transition, including the likes of Legge, Joyce and Oyeleke.

Edited by JRC

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

He is.

2 Strikers

Backup GK

Fullback

Smith replacement

Midfielder

is I think what's been said, so 6 signings (5 after tomorrow). 3 of them (Smith replacement, 1 forward, and maybe the fullback) to go straight into the first 11.

He's after a back up for Gibbons at rightback. In the dream world it would be Clark who would then slot in at leftback but I suspect that's highly unlikely. Gibbons, Legge ?/ Brisley and Montano the most likely back 4. 

In about 6 or 7 weeks time Pope turns 35. 

I'd like to see a young striker brought in not as 4th choice but as equal choice. 

Hell of a lot of detractors for Bennett on here seem to forget that he kept Pope out on merit for possibly 10 or more games. 

We want players chosen on merit and form and Askey to his credit does this as he proved by leaving out both Pope and Smith at times. 

Whoever comes in I hope has a chance to be the main striker based on training not on reputation. 

People have mentioned Archer, absolutely baffling the cries for him last season, based on absolutely nothing. He became a better player on here despite never actually playing !! Rodney if it is him has a far better CV . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

Can I just throw a few names at you where we signed players without league experience who went on to do pretty well...

Ian Taylor, Andy Jones, Darren Beckford, Robbie Earl... 

Somebody with solid League Two experience has already proven they are not good enough to play higher, otherwise they would have.

We need players that can learn from Pope, do his running and bag a few goals.  That player may also end up with a decent resale value helping to fund the development of the next wave.

Getting in experience, whilst vital in the right quantity is also dead money.

Also we have a manager in Askey, that against the odds got us pushing for promotion.  Had it not been for the virus and the benevolence of our superb owners, we may well have been putting a league one squad together now! 

Let's trust Askey and support whoever he deems worthy of wearing our shirt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

He has played in the football league, albeit fleetingly. Even so, that is more experience than Dior Angus, for example had. 

I would like another proven league striker, but with so many key names signing, a gamble or two seems less of a concern than two years or so so ago with a whole squad of gambles. 

I can't understand some other fans. I think there's always room for the odd "rough diamond" or gamble in the squad. 

Askey says he wants two strikers this summer, presuming the other is a more established name then we have three proven players and a chancer. The chancer may even come good but if he doesn't that's the gamble. 

If last season was an indication then we're not going to be that active in the loan market. If any of the other three get injured or this lad doesn't step up then we've got the option to get someone in that way in January and fill the gap.

You can't have four players who all think they are first choice for the same position - that's just going to bring dressing room discord and squad unity looks to be something Askey is really keen on.  

9 hours ago, toyahw said:

This place is much better. I avoid Twitter and Facebook personally. Because their opinions are a bit daft. Of course it is their right to do so. And only my own opinion. 

As an overseas Vale fan I would just like to say we are doing our best for our club. I an sure that you appreciate that.

What baffles me, and someone on twitter said it yesterday, is that people will berate a signing a being useless on his announcement thread.

There is a high chance that the young lad will read the tweets on his own announcement thread... reading negative things based on the 'opinions' pf armchair pundits isn't going to do the mental health of the lad any good. All it will do is knock his confidence and build the pressure in him.

These comments literally are damaging the the success of port vale, and yet these fans who "Love the Vales so much" feel the need to do it.

I have asked numerous people why they do.... "Because I can" is the only answer I get back.... but whats the point, how does it help the player or the club!!

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Joe B said:

Did that lad on twitter ever see Andy Jones play for the vale he was non league when we signed him the rest is history.