onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New striker signing - Devante Rodney

Doha

Slightly off-topic perhaps but given that 5 subs allowed seems to be the norm at the moment then perhaps this will become the norm when the new season starts.

That will really give teams options on the subs bench and players sat on the bench will have a pretty good idea that they will be used at some point.

This may have a bearing on the type of players (particularly up front) we are looking at, of course we all realise that the Pontiff is nearing the end of his career and again that will be on Askeys mind.

I have every faith in Mr. Askey and his backroom staff to bring in the right type of player and I'm sure that Devante fits that bill not only for this next season but for a number to come.

Advert

I think some of the comments on here / FB can only be the work of wind up merchants. 

In Askey I feel we may at last found a decent manager who can galvanise the club in a way I think only Rudge and Adams have done in my lifetime (Horton never really did it for me I’m afraid). 

I feel excited about the Rodney signing, this is exactly the sort of player we should be after. A player that has the attributes albeit a bit raw but who Askey will coach to become better. The rewards are, potentially, phenomenal if we get this right as young goal scorers are like gold dust.

For once, I feel very excited for what the rest of the transfer window might bring. I can’t say as I’m bothered about losing Smith, who I thought was better in L1 than in L2 for me.

I’ll say it now...Vale to finish in the playoffs at least next year and Rodney to hit double figures.

20 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I think some of the comments on here / FB can only be the work of wind up merchants. 

In Askey I feel we may at last found a decent manager who can galvanise the club in a way I think only Rudge and Adams have done in my lifetime (Horton never really did it for me I’m afraid). 

I feel excited about the Rodney signing, this is exactly the sort of player we should be after. A player that has the attributes albeit a bit raw but who Askey will coach to become better. The rewards are, potentially, phenomenal if we get this right as young goal scorers are like gold dust.

For once, I feel very excited for what the rest of the transfer window might bring. I can’t say as I’m bothered about losing Smith, who I thought was better in L1 than in L2 for me.

I’ll say it now...Vale to finish in the playoffs at least next year and Rodney to hit double figures.

I feel the same way really. I just listened to the Ale and the Vale podcast (which was great btw) and Carol said Smith wants a new challenge, and suggested it was probably for the best. I wish him all the best, but at least there won’t be the discussion of ‘is he too small’ ‘he was part of a unsuccessful team for 3 years’ etc. It’s a clean break and I look forward to who Askey can entice to Vale Park. 

I certainly wouldn’t lay your bet, Askey knows his stuff, and Rodney has not signed to make up the numbers and sit on the bench. I’m quietly confident he will surprise a few as to how quickly he adapts to league 2, only time will tell, but watch this space. 

21 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I feel the same way really. I just listened to the Ale and the Vale podcast (which was great btw) and Carol said Smith wants a new challenge, and suggested it was probably for the best. I wish him all the best, but at least there won’t be the discussion of ‘is he too small’ ‘he was part of a unsuccessful team for 3 years’ etc. It’s a clean break and I look forward to who Askey can entice to Vale Park. 

I certainly wouldn’t lay your bet, Askey knows his stuff, and Rodney has not signed to make up the numbers and sit on the bench. I’m quietly confident he will surprise a few as to how quickly he adapts to league 2, only time will tell, but watch this space. 

I agree with that, I have watched a few videos of Rodney and I think he will be a scorer next season, with the likes of Pope to learn from. With Smith he is good, but as stated replaceable. The defence at times last season with the amount of wins, turning to draws was the area most need in strengthening. So maybe him leaving will help his career and also give the squad added strength where the replacement is. 

9 hours ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

I agree with that, I have watched a few videos of Rodney and I think he will be a scorer next season, with the likes of Pope to learn from. With Smith he is good, but as stated replaceable. The defence at times last season with the amount of wins, turning to draws was the area most need in strengthening. So maybe him leaving will help his career and also give the squad added strength where the replacement is. 

Losing one of your best players will always make you a little worse. Fortunately we have managed to keep all our other important players. Overall we will be better I feel, with 6 players to come in. Firmly believe Rodney will be an upgrade on Archer. So what we've lost in Smith is already being mitigated elsewhere in the squad.

12 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Someone like Ironside would be OK in the shorter term, providing they were happy to be a squad player. If we assume Cullen to be favourite for the lone striker role then we just need options.  If given a decent run, and barring injury, we can reasonably expect Cullen to score 15+.  I can't see us going out and signing anyone prolific, we'll need a number of players who can chip in, and Ironside, or whoever, needs to score 10+.

I agree that Cullen will get 15-20 over a season as he is a finisher, but relying on him staying fit is a big ask, based on his recent fitness record.

He could be missing for a fair amount of games over the season, so we need someone to come in as the main/lone striker when Cullen is unavailable.

Is Pope still capable of doing that, if its for an extended period and not just the odd game? (I'd say not any more, though he can still be a big impact player coming off the bench). Rodney is a gamble to throw into that role, so I hope that the other striker signing is someone capable of being a regular starter, if required.

I have a mate who is a long term Stockport season ticket holder . I asked him his opinion on Rodney and quote as below.

Rodney only played about a dozen games for us but made a bit of an impact. I would say for us he was a luxury player who can be a world beater for 10 mins and then disappears for the rest of the game. In our league you need players who give 100% for all the game. I think he will do well at a higher level, certainly got the skills.

Then asked him if he played upfront or out wide.

Out wide when he runs at defenders they have no idea what he is going to do. The problem is he didn't know either.

Always interesting to hear fans  opinions  from  a players previous club. Sounds like one for Askey to work on but something there to polish. Askey seems good at doing that.

Team styles make strikers.

Stick Pope in a team that play balls in behind for him to run onto and he won't score many.

Stick Aguero in a team that fires 100's of far post crosses in and he (probably) won't score many.

This is the reason so many strikers do it at one club and not at others - they often try and shoehorn a square peg into round holes.

It's not as easy as saying "he scored 20 last season at another club, so let's sign him and he'll score 20 with us".

Askey knows his system and will sign players that fit his mould. 

1 hour ago, The man in the pub said:

I have a mate who is a long term Stockport season ticket holder . I asked him his opinion on Rodney and quote as below.

Rodney only played about a dozen games for us but made a bit of an impact. I would say for us he was a luxury player who can be a world beater for 10 mins and then disappears for the rest of the game. In our league you need players who give 100% for all the game. I think he will do well at a higher level, certainly got the skills.

Then asked him if he played upfront or out wide.

Out wide when he runs at defenders they have no idea what he is going to do. The problem is he didn't know either.

Always interesting to hear fans  opinions  from  a players previous club. Sounds like one for Askey to work on but something there to polish. Askey seems good at doing that.

With all due respect to your mate, that’s just one solitary opinion amongst several thousand Stockport County supporters. The beauty of football is exactly that, opinions. We all have them. One end of the spectrum to the other. You’ll never get everybody to agree. Unless you’re asked if David Worrall has iron lungs. That’s pretty hard to dispute, naturally.

I recall Darlington fans wetting themselves with laughter when we took Akpo Sodje from them. He wasn’t even worthy of playing for their reserves, apparently. I think we all know how that one turned out. 

Players can find it hard to adapt in certain environments. It may be the coaching or tactical approach doesn’t suit their game whatsoever. They may have a poor working relationship with the manager. There may be unrest in the dressing room, or it could be down purely to them not enjoying their football there. Then, the same player moves to another club and they fit in perfectly. Some of our players would probably give you that summary from their time here given the philosophies of Aspin and Askey are like chalk and cheese. 

Dressing room harmony, togetherness, a solid unit. All attributes of a team that can sometimes take them up a level, regardless of ability. Accrington Stanley being a prime example of that. One of the lowest budgets ever seen at this level and one of the lowest average home attendances too. Yet they romped to the League Two title, finishing above big spending Luton Town. All because of the unity John Coleman has stamped on that club. A truly fantastic achievement in itself.

I have a lot of faith in John Askey. I think he’s doing a sterling job thus far. I never judge a player until he’s had a fair crack of the whip. Most importantly, in a Port Vale shirt. I wish Devante all the best and hope he turns out to be a diamond.

The greatest square peg is no use in a round hole.

Lets give JA & the player chance to see what they can do together and by the way, give credit to Dave Kevan for his coaching with these young prospects. Nobody was getting excited last year with JA's signings, in fact he was slaughtered by some for signing Macc cast-offs. He has proved he is willing to give youth a chance with Scott Burgess (22) & Jake Taylor (22). 

On 07/07/2020 at 17:01, Chopper Harris said:

To the tune of only fools and horses......

He can play on either wing and scoring is his thing. He’s gonna score another goal right now......... Devante Rodney. Nah nah nah nah nah, Devante Rodney nah nah nah nah nah. Devante Rodney........  

You won't get Rodney in your pocket,

Because no defender can,

We know he's the best,

And without a question, 

Devante, he's our man.

Why he signed for Salford is a mystery,

Like the changing  of the seasons and the tides of the sea. 

La la la la...

3 hours ago, Moz said:

You won't get Rodney in your pocket,

Because no defender can,

We know he's the best,

And without a question, 

Devante, he's our man.

Why he signed for Salford is a mystery,

Like the changing  of the seasons and the tides of the sea. 

La la la la...

Crikey, some of the lads get the steino song wrong, they’ll never remember that one.

On 09/07/2020 at 12:02, Pennywise said:

With all due respect to your mate, that’s just one solitary opinion amongst several thousand Stockport County supporters. The beauty of football is exactly that, opinions. We all have them. One end of the spectrum to the other. You’ll never get everybody to agree. Unless you’re asked if David Worrall has iron lungs. That’s pretty hard to dispute, naturally.

I recall Darlington fans wetting themselves with laughter when we took Akpo Sodje from them. He wasn’t even worthy of playing for their reserves, apparently. I think we all know how that one turned out. 

Players can find it hard to adapt in certain environments. It may be the coaching or tactical approach doesn’t suit their game whatsoever. They may have a poor working relationship with the manager. There may be unrest in the dressing room, or it could be down purely to them not enjoying their football there. Then, the same player moves to another club and they fit in perfectly. Some of our players would probably give you that summary from their time here given the philosophies of Aspin and Askey are like chalk and cheese. 

Dressing room harmony, togetherness, a solid unit. All attributes of a team that can sometimes take them up a level, regardless of ability. Accrington Stanley being a prime example of that. One of the lowest budgets ever seen at this level and one of the lowest average home attendances too. Yet they romped to the League Two title, finishing above big spending Luton Town. All because of the unity John Coleman has stamped on that club. A truly fantastic achievement in itself.

I have a lot of faith in John Askey. I think he’s doing a sterling job thus far. I never judge a player until he’s had a fair crack of the whip. Most importantly, in a Port Vale shirt. I wish Devante all the best and hope he turns out to be a diamond.

Very true Pennywise, it is all about opinions. My mate is a proper football fan whose views I have come to trust. Like on OVF i'm sure we all have posters whose opinions we value more than others. He looks like a project, work in progress. I do have every confidence that Askey is the man to do just that.

Archived