onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New striker signing - Devante Rodney

Doha

4 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Seems a decent signing to me. Admittedly 3 years is unusual but given his first real season with us I think we’ve got to give Askey credit. He’s now hopefully moved away from ex Macc players and clearly a lot more focussed. 
My only concern is his agent. Is it really Gareth Seddon, him from off those early Salford programmes? 
And well done to those who’ve ditched Facebook. Seriously bad for your health that place can be. 

Just out of interest - why is Seddon being his agent a concern?

I think he comes across as a decent bloke?

Advert

59 minutes ago, robf said:

Askey's looking for four strikers so there's still one place to fill. As he's said he wants to add strikers early as they tend to be snapped up I presume we will know fairly soon.

If it's Palmer then there will be cover for Pope - wheras if it's someone like Shay McCartan then perhaps Askey's going to move away from a targetman in the middle?

What’s the story with Palmer?  I haven’t checked, but isn’t he still under contract?

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

What’s the story with Palmer?  I haven’t checked, but isn’t he still under contract?

Been offered a new contract but not signed. I think he'll end up getting a league 1 contract. His record over the last couple of years means someone will probably take a punt.

30 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Walsall are reported to have offered him a contract.

He'll get a lot of offers. There is a real shortage of goalscorers available. Distinctly average record before Crawley. I'm not overly convinced by his overall play but I'm pretty certain we've got him under consideration.  Despite his size he's more like Cullen than Pope. In terms of leading the line Joe Ironside impressed me last season. Seemed to have a well balanced game and be able to do a bit of everything. I think to get Palmer we'd need to go all in with a wage offer, possibly similar to Doyle at Bolton. I'm not sure he's any better than Cullen, so potentially a lot of money for someone sitting on the bench. Big call for the Askey.

Good to talk about possible signings and whet the appetite.

I wonder if we are now looking at a target man, like Pope, rather than a quicker, nippier lad.

We didn't have the tallest team last year and without Pope (and Bennett) we look short on height.

I'm not a fan of Palmer and doubt he'd come here to be a squad player, unless someone like him starts and it's Pope on the bench more often.

28 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Good to talk about possible signings and whet the appetite.

I wonder if we are now looking at a target man, like Pope, rather than a quicker, nippier lad.

We didn't have the tallest team last year and without Pope (and Bennett) we look short on height.

I'm not a fan of Palmer and doubt he'd come here to be a squad player, unless someone like him starts and it's Pope on the bench more often.

Pope started more games on the bench than as a starter last season and I expect that trend to continue. Agree about the lack of height and it will be interesting to see how and if that is addressed within the new signings. At the moment I'm pretty sure Cullen has the striker shirt. Another striker to come in, so Pope will probably be third choice next season.

There's no doubt we have to start planning for life without Pope but I think Askey used him quite well last year he had no injuries & was top scorer. Although I don't Pope likes sitting on the bench he just wants to play for his club

16 minutes ago, dishydave said:

There's no doubt we have to start planning for life without Pope but I think Askey used him quite well last year he had no injuries & was top scorer. Although I don't Pope likes sitting on the bench he just wants to play for his club

Sure he'll still be used but in the right games and the right time during the other games.

Not getting the Ironside love in whatsoever. 

Just my opinion. He's 26 and a late starter in the game. Put aside the fact he had an okay game against us in possibly our worst performance of the season , he got 6 all season and I might be wrong but that may of included the odd penalty. 

He's not for me, but what do I know. 

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Just my opinion. He's 26 and a late starter in the game. Put aside the fact he had an okay game against us in possibly our worst performance of the season , he got 6 all season and I might be wrong but that may of included the odd penalty. 

There is very little aside from Palmer. Matt got 20 12 months ago but is over 30 and only got 6 or 7 a season outside that. If you want a league 2 target man who is available they are pretty much the alternatives. Nicky Maynard maybe but I suspect he's beyond our pay grade.

13 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Someone like Ironside would be OK in the shorter term, providing they were happy to be a squad player. If we assume Cullen to be favourite for the lone striker role then we just need options.  If given a decent run, and barring injury, we can reasonably expect Cullen to score 15+.  I can't see us going out and signing anyone prolific, we'll need a number of players who can chip in, and Ironside, or whoever, needs to score 10+.  As things stand we also need to replace Taylors goals from midfield and it may be easier to do this than find a ready made 20 goal striker.

Like the Rodney signing. Never seen him play before but love the fact JA is backing himself and his staff judgement with a 3 year deal. Makes it sound like a development signing however it wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a starter if he give us more of a goal threat.

As for Ironside & Palmer I don't get the love for either of them. Don't think either of them have a better all round game than Cullen.

Agree we need another striker though, personally would like to see a statement signing in this position.

Archived