onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New striker signing - Devante Rodney

Doha

Advert

I'd be more than happy with Rodney although I've never really seen him play. I did watch that Hartlepool game where he scored twice and nearly kept them up a few years ago.

A completely sensible low risk gamble to take.

Burgess was exactly the same last summer and look how that one turned out.

1 hour ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

If it is Rodney, my only concern (having not seen him play) is that he seems to be described mainly as playing out wide/on the wing - point being, with Worrall, Amoo, Browne and Montano all having re-signed, do we need another predominantly "wide" player, as opposed to a more "central" forward? (even with the probable signing of another striker as well, when you consider that 2 of the central striker options, Pope and Cullen, both have dodgy injury records)

Played mainly through the middle in his 2 spells at Halifax. Played mainly as a winger at Stockport. 

Our fourth choice striker last year was Jordan Archer, a lad who had barely scored above the 7th tier, was 25, and couldn't play out wide.
I'd say this lad would be an upgrade, on ability (scored in the 5th tier), potential, and versatility.
I think this is spot on, a young, cheap player with the potential to kick on. Covers a two spots in the team should we need him.

If he takes his opportunity, like Burgess, it will turn out to be a great signing and we will probably be extending his contract in Jan.

If he turns out to be another Jordan Archer or Kennedy, he goes out on loan and out the door at the end of the season. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

In Askey we trust!

Rodney’s highlights show that he isn’t scared to take people on and have a shot.

I have also watched a few interviews and he comes across as very level headed and with a good head on his shoulders.

As a 4th choice striker we can develop it looks a good move to me if it’s him.

14 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Rodney looks a great signing. Still plenty of potential and has a strong pedigree. 

Lad on Twitter informs me he's non-league, we need experienced League 2 players to get promoted, and we can't be wasting money on reserves.

I know its a game of opinions, and the debate is half of the fun, but I proper despair at times...

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Lad on Twitter informs me he's non-league, we need experienced League 2 players to get promoted, and we can't be wasting money on reserves.

I know its a game of opinions, and the debate is half of the fun, but I proper despair at times...

Is not Askey looking for 2 strikers?  As for signing a striker from Halifax, Vardy went on to play for England.

21 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Is not Askey looking for 2 strikers?  As for signing a striker from Halifax, Vardy went on to play for England.

I think he was quoted as saying 2 strikers, so maybe this Rodney fella plus a more conventional central striker.

32 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

He is.

2 Strikers

Backup GK

Fullback

Smith replacement

Midfielder

is I think what's been said, so 6 signings (5 after tomorrow). 3 of them (Smith replacement, 1 forward, and maybe the fullback) to go straight into the first 11.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

This place is much better. I avoid Twitter and Facebook personally. Because their opinions are a bit daft. Of course it is their right to do so. And only my own opinion. 

As an overseas Vale fan I would just like to say we are doing our best for our club. I an sure that you appreciate that.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Last season we had a pretty settled side but with injuries and suspensions we still used 31 players. About 6 didn't play a significant number of games but that still leaves 25 who did. We currently have a squad of 18. Without the option of loans outside the window we do need to spend some money on squad players. Pope and Cullen will be on good money and you'd expect the other forward we are after to be of a similar standard. That's probably 25 to 30% of the budget on 3 players. We can't afford to spend top dollar on a 4th striker and realistically a big name isn't going to come to be 4th choice.  At some point during the season its likely injuries and suspension will mean the 4th choice striker will be the only one on the bench and we will need him to play. Only 11 players scored double figures last season in league 2. Only 2 are out of contract and not from a side promoted, Palmer and Theo Robinson. That's pretty slim pickings to find 2 proven strikers even if we could afford 2.

Who knows if he's good enough to be starting league 2 games. I'm sure you could trawl through twitter and find some supporters convinced he's premiership quality. Top half of The National League and bottom 5 or 6 of this league are pretty interchangeable.  Relegated teams rarely come straight back to league 2 and promoted teams rarely end up back in The National League. If it is Rodney or someone else I'm sure he will have been watched, video analysed and the management have decided there is enough to work with. It's small margins that determine if a player can make it in the next league up but there are an awful lot of league 2 players who have made that transition, including the likes of Legge, Joyce and Oyeleke.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

He is.

2 Strikers

Backup GK

Fullback

Smith replacement

Midfielder

is I think what's been said, so 6 signings (5 after tomorrow). 3 of them (Smith replacement, 1 forward, and maybe the fullback) to go straight into the first 11.

He's after a back up for Gibbons at rightback. In the dream world it would be Clark who would then slot in at leftback but I suspect that's highly unlikely. Gibbons, Legge ?/ Brisley and Montano the most likely back 4. 

In about 6 or 7 weeks time Pope turns 35. 

I'd like to see a young striker brought in not as 4th choice but as equal choice. 

Hell of a lot of detractors for Bennett on here seem to forget that he kept Pope out on merit for possibly 10 or more games. 

We want players chosen on merit and form and Askey to his credit does this as he proved by leaving out both Pope and Smith at times. 

Whoever comes in I hope has a chance to be the main striker based on training not on reputation. 

People have mentioned Archer, absolutely baffling the cries for him last season, based on absolutely nothing. He became a better player on here despite never actually playing !! Rodney if it is him has a far better CV . 

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

He has played in the football league, albeit fleetingly. Even so, that is more experience than Dior Angus, for example had. 

I would like another proven league striker, but with so many key names signing, a gamble or two seems less of a concern than two years or so so ago with a whole squad of gambles. 

Archived