onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New striker signing - Devante Rodney

Doha

Advert

Askey tends not to sign older players but the lad has done the business for years at League 2 level; wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, mind. Apparently has become more of an 'inside forward' which would offer a bit of flexibility compared to our out and out wingers of Worrall and Amoo (http://argyle.life/analysis/joel-grant-tactical-evolution/).

He would join Vale, but I’m not sure he’s an Askey signing ( I rate him though )

Rodney's record on the face of it isn't fantastic at league level but a lot of those appearances are as a sub so some could be for barely 5-10 minutes.

Goals to actual starts is decent, albeit in the national league mostly. 

As mentioned we need back up upfront and Askey only plays one out and out striker anyway. A bit of pace never went a miss either against lower league defenders. 

54 minutes ago, Joe B said:

22 years old, 7 in 20 in the Conference in 19/20, apparently a hard-worker who can cover the right wing and the forward line, with attributes we've sorely lacked last season? Its not a marquee signing that has tinpot twitter accounts declaring "Port Vale are making MOVES" like they did for Mansfield last summer, but I certainly won't be one to slag the lad off before he joins.

County fans seem adamant he's going there though.

He scored 8 in 20. Odd if he moves to Stockport as he turned them down to go to Halifax for the second half of last season. Stockport then used the funds to sign Bennett. Definitely not staying at Halifax as he turned down playing in the play-offs as he was going to sign elsewhere this week.

My guess is one of Arthur Gnahoua, Rodney or outside chance it's Joel Grant. As The Sentinel article says young striker who is different to what we've got I'd have thought Rodney is most likely. Personal opinion is he would be a decent option as a 4th forward .... genuinely quick, two footed and can play on both wings. His record at Salford was poor over the last 2 seasons but they only gave him one start. During his 3 loan spells over the same period (all at National League level) he's got 15 in 32 games (29 starts and 3 as a sub) and quite a few assists. That's pretty good, particularly as a fair percent of starts were on the wing. 4th striker will always be a bit of a punt but if it is him I dont think its a bad one. His goals per game would have put him second in the National League leading scorer list and he only just turned 22.

I think so far Askey has done enough to prove himself. Even if t is an unknown player, same could have been said with the likes of Ian Taylor. I feel Askey knows how to get the best out of a player and if Askey and Rudgey see something that is enough for me. 

Here he has potential:

3 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Dunna think there will be any meltdown. In Askey we trust, whoever it is welcome onboard youth.

Me neither. You can look at the stats and think, "well I don't see it myself, but give the guy a go". I think most Vale fans are fair enough to trust the manager (now) and get behind the guy. There were exceptions in the past, players slated and binned before they'd even set foot on the pitch, but most of those doing this seem to have fallen by the wayside on here.

If it is Rodney, he didn't pull up any trees at Salford, but that is the worst kind of club for a young player to be, One that is trying to buy itself success.

I'd be happy with it.

If it is Rodney, my only concern (having not seen him play) is that he seems to be described mainly as playing out wide/on the wing - point being, with Worrall, Amoo, Browne and Montano all having re-signed, do we need another predominantly "wide" player, as opposed to a more "central" forward? (even with the probable signing of another striker as well, when you consider that 2 of the central striker options, Pope and Cullen, both have dodgy injury records)

5 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

If it is Rodney, my only concern (having not seen him play) is that he seems to be described mainly as playing out wide/on the wing - point being, with Worrall, Amoo, Browne and Montano all having re-signed, do we need another predominantly "wide" player, as opposed to a more "central" forward? (even with the probable signing of another striker as well, when you consider that 2 of the central striker options, Pope and Cullen, both have dodgy injury records)

I think that's actually an advantage. He's versatile. And players can be coached into new positions.... Robin VDL was a striker before moving into midfield, Monty a winger before LB... perhaps Askey sees him more of a central player than other clubs? He certainly seems to have the pace and eye for a goal to suit a central position.

7 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I think he'd be seen as 4th choice - Askey has said he wishes to sign two strikers.

If that is the case, you've got a young lad with a different skillset than Pope and Cullen, who can also cover the right wing (Browne + Monty seem to be left wing players). Versatility, workrate, and age seem to be big for Askey, and he delivers on all three. His record is reasonable in the league below, so I think its a risk worth taking, should he get a run in the event that Pope/Cullen struggle with fitness.

20 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Me neither. You can look at the stats and think, "well I don't see it myself, but give the guy a go". I think most Vale fans are fair enough to trust the manager (now) and get behind the guy. There were exceptions in the past, players slated and binned before they'd even set foot on the pitch, but most of those doing this seem to have fallen by the wayside on here.

If it is Rodney, he didn't pull up any trees at Salford, but that is the worst kind of club for a young player to be, One that is trying to buy itself success.

I'd be happy with it.

Hope so.

There's one notorious moaner on Twitter already who kicked off at the mere suggestion we were looking at Rodney a week ago, so many he clouds my perspective.

Its funny to think now but when we signed Burgess and Taylor, I didn't envisage seeing much of either of them.

Our midfield, on paper, looked set; Joyce, Conlon, Manny.

Next thing you know, Conlon struggles for form, and Manny's hamstring explodes at a slight jog, and you have two young lads thrown in at the deep end who, by the end of the season, had become key players. Burgess was on the verge of being shipped out on loan, iirc.

All it takes is an injury to Amoo, Cullen struggling etc and Rodney (should it be him) will be getting his chance, which is a given across a 50 game season.

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

The only thing that matters, will the squad be stronger after he has settled in? 

Our fourth choice striker last year was Jordan Archer, a lad who had barely scored above the 7th tier, was 25, and couldn't play out wide.

I'd say this lad would be an upgrade, on ability (scored in the 5th tier), potential, and versatility.

Archived