Sign in to follow this  
robf

Cricket - Summer 2020 games

As you may have noticed, I do like a bit of cricket and I'm looking forward to the Test series against the Windies.

If you're a real nerd, you can watch England's warm-up game (Team Stokes vs Team Buttler) on the ECB website here - https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/1703010/watch-live-england-men-intra-squad-match

At time of writing, James Bracey is doing himself no harm of getting a debut at number 3 or 4...

I'd like see foakes given a chance as wicketkeeper but with butler being named vice captain then that's unlikely to happen. I'd also like see burns and sibley open up and then have either Crawley or Bracey at 3 instead of 34 year old denly. 

I watched the start of the Test match yesterday. 

Prior to the game starting there was typical portentous Sky stuff - weirdly equating cricketers with key workers, dramatic music, one of those "over hyping sport" intros they often do. You know the stuff - "live sport is back, it's REALLY important" was the message...

Then Sky did something I have never seen before.

Before the game started they completely changed focus and talked about Black Lives Matter. It was immensely powerful, moving stuff and made a mockery of the "sport is back, this is important" stuff that had happened before.

The black lives matter segment was two people (Michael Holding and Ebony Rainford-Brent) taking movingly about how racism had affected them. If you haven't seen it, watch it:

And while you're at it - watch this follow-up interview with the truly wonderful Michael Holding, Nasser Hussain and Ebony Rainford-Brent:

I am by no means a Sky Sports fan - but this was one of their finest hours.

If you missed it and even if you don't like cricket, I really urge you to watch these two clips.