onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vote: Do you support Port Vale's attempt to change the alcohol ban?

robf

Do you support Port Vale's attempt to change football's alcohol rules?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Port Vale's attempt to change football's alcohol rules?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

TalkSPORT are reporting that Port Vale are one of a number of clubs aiming to overturn the "no alcohol in seats" ban at football stadia and bring football in line with the likes of rugby and cricket who allow drinking in stands. Currently fans are only allowed to drink away from their seats and 15 minutes either side of a game.

One suggestion is that a trial period with the law change could take place amid social distancing. A top-flight chairman told The Times: "The ban actually encourages binge drinking, because you have fans trying to down three or four pints in an hour or less. A law change could promote more responsible drinking and behaviour."

The Police are thought to be the biggest opponents of a change. TalkSPORT suggest Sunderland, Ipswich Town, Doncaster Rovers, Accrington Stanley, Port Vale, Forest Green Rovers, Lincoln City, Tranmere Rovers and Northampton Town are in favour of a pilot scheme.

What do you think? Place your vote now...

Advert

The old bill are a waste of space!! Non league footballs always allowed drinking even around the pitch with very few problems  cricket and rugby league and Union the same so why should the majority suffer for the minority? Ridiculous

Given the queues for the beer in the Lorne Street concourse, you’d be lucky to buy a pint’s worth over 90 mins. 

I think for most games it would work but I can foresee someone throwing a plastic pint at opposition players very easily. 

I’d like it to happen, but know in my heart you’d get prats who would mess it up for the club. 

Personally I have no problem with it.

If you actually want to watch the game the most you'll have is three pints, I'd imagine.  You also need about fifteen pints of football beer to get drunk anyway I reckon so it shouldn't make much difference to the overall crowd intoxication level!!

I think you have to see it as the experience, American sports have the all day attitude, BBQ's and the like. I am sure if done correctly it would encourage families. The local drunk would find a way to over consume anyway. For me its a positive, but is alchohol a good thing that is another subject.

It would need a lot of thought and perhaps setting aside drinking areas in the ground, away from  families and children.

One of the things that has very often annoyed me at test matches and to a lesser degree at big rugby games has been the fact that too may anti-social braggarts drink far too much and can ruin the occasion for others. Full pints often get knocked over and you can find yourself swimming in stale beer. Folk are forever getting up and down to go for a drink and can't wait for half time or after the game is over.

I'm not a kill joy. I like a pint or two myself but I think on the concourse or before or after a game is best for football. Leave well alone.

14 minutes ago, TheSage said:

It would need a lot of thought and perhaps setting aside drinking areas in the ground, away from  families and children.

One of the things that has very often annoyed me at test matches and to a lesser degree at big rugby games has been the fact that too may anti-social braggarts drink far too much and can ruin the occasion for others. Full pints often get knocked over and you can find yourself swimming in stale beer. Folk are forever getting up and down to go for a drink and can't wait for half time or after the game is over.

I'm not a kill joy. I like a pint or two myself but I think on the concourse or before or after a game is best for football. Leave well alone.

At some of the cricket Tests they have designated "fun" stands for things like fancy dress (and by default singing and so on) and more "sober" (pardon the pun) stands elsewhere.

I suspect that if Vale make the "new" half of the Lorne St a family stand it would probably be an area where alcohol isn't allowed in the seats but just in the concourse. 

However, I suspect the key to the whole drinking in seats will be the standard of the stewarding. Good stewards will listen to complaints and have a quiet word to calm things down.

With Rugby and cricket you can expect high scoring games. You dont have the instantaneous mentals like at football which could ensue with a non drinker wearing a wet one on a cold day. I love a pint more than most, anyone who knows me can testify to that, but I think it would only work with people sitting in quieter areas. 

The idea sounds great, but you only have to see videos of crowds watching the cup. A goal is scored and beer goes everywhere. 

The reason I voted in favour was because Garlick thought it a good idea, so probably earning the club a few extra quid.

i love a drink pre match as a regular on Charlie s fun bus, but rarely drink in the ground  for 2 reasons,1, it’s crap over priced beer, 2, I’ve usually had enough by the time I get to the ground.

Archived