onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Come on then - lets have the pics `n` stories ...

cwright75

Good day to my fellow port vale folk, Been a while since i left trentham Gardens.

Anyway im chris , oldest son of bernie `the bolt` wright 

im here to grab your memories stories pics etc 

i also have some things i can share past n present , from walsall and everton 

maybe things from the present 

so come on load up with what weve got .

b1.jpg

FB_IMG_1593116763195.jpg

b9.jpg

b6.jpg

b5.jpg

• 4 months later...

Advert

Hello Chris. Great to see the recent photos of  your Dad. He looks well, which is great. I was just a young lad and only truly getting into The Vale and even understanding the ins and outs of football. So its true to say that Bernie was/is one of my first heroes. He was a fearsome man, (for opposing defenders that is), and would run through barn doors for the team. I think your Dad was a bit concerned about the reception that he was going to get, having arrived from near rivals, Walsall. He needn't have worried. We took him to our hearts. Gave it all. My favourite game was an away match at neighbours Crewe Alex. Vale won 5:1 and your Dad scored a hat trick. He was unplayable. I live in Norfolk now but still visit Vale Park 3 or 4 times a year. Say hello to Bernie for me and thank him for the memories. Cheers, Chris Adderley 

Bernie, I remember for the size of his square shoulders and that game at Crewe. Due to the number of Vale fans, we watched the game from the paddock and at the end of the game, being thrown at by Vale fans!

Bernie blitzed the Crewe team that night, and if I remember rightly, one of my other favourite players at the time scored........ Ken Beamish who later was transferred for £30K.

At 23 then and that I had watched the Vale since 1967, Bernie was the first bustling centre forward that I can remember.

A legend for me, even though he only stayed for a short time. Stay safe and well Bernie!

Woh......Bernie Wright.....fearsome. My favourite memory is also at that Crewe game when Vale totally bullied them. Towards the end of teh game Crewe had a throw in right in front of us and as the lad was trying to throw it in Bernie stood right in front of him laughing at him.....almost daring him to throw it at him.....he completely overshadowed this young lad who must have bricked himself especially as we were laughing so much behind him as well. Eeee....happy days!

Wish him well from me, Chris! Does he still follow Vale's results and form?

Great to see him looking so well. I think the beard and unkempt hair was part of the reason for his fierce reputation. 

I can add little to the above as the only distinctive memories I have are also of that Crewe away game. Unplayable that night. 

Fans love fighters and lads who give their all and that was why Bernie was loved by Vale fans, even though he wasn't here for long.

He was playing in a poor team at the time which didn't help but his physicality and decent left peg made up for what we lacked elsewhere.

Lovely memories of Bernie. 

Archived