onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sport with no fans. Has it a future ?

RailwayRowdy

As sport, in some guise, finally returns to stadia and TV screens I wonder can it survive with no spectators ? Can we all still get excited whilst watching alone on some sort of device ? 

Tentative steps in to re-introducing sport have now been taken, but without the atmosphere created by a paying public, will it work ?

What do people think ?

Advert

No, I don't think it will work.

Too clinical and quiet.

Sport feeds off the atmosphere created by crowds.

We've got to find a way of getting spectators back into grounds. It's feasible at the lower end with smaller gates and fewer people in attendance. And as we know, even 2-3000 fans can create a bit of background noise and make a difference.

Watching at home is not the same at all. 

Big football clubs with big names and bigger money will in football, manu, liverpool etc have more fans in the east than the UK. 

Horse racing probably because of the gambling. Etc etc.

It will all come down to money, if the event is dependent on paying customers it will probably decline and die.

I think VALE may be in a good position because of the size of the ground, plenty of room to accommodate it's usual crowd with social distancing plus a number of away fans so fans may travel to see their team in larger numbers.... but it would depend on the ability of the traveling oppositions survival.

It may never be the same again.

With no fans present at all it will simply fade away at the lower end of the sport spectrum 

It's simply dreadful. The ridiculous out of sync crowd noises are poor too. 

Was a very close call as to whether to watch the Antiques roadshow after the puerile first half last night. Sadly I gave the game the benefit of the doubt. 

You could argue that it's a poor game even if 38'000 were there but it's not for me. 

I am a snooker fan and thought that it would be one sport where a lack of spectators would not make too much difference.

However, last weeks tournament at MK showed that even a docile sport like snooker is better with an appreciative audience.

Indeed some of the players commented that they found it difficult to get “up for it”. Some players need that excitement and pressure to perform.

Even snooker would appear to be no different. 

I’m fascinated by the concept that many pros have said in podcasts that there are some players who are brilliant in training but they fall apart in front of a crowd on match day.

Crazy to think there will be some players loving a lack of a crowd and performing way better than we are used to!

1 hour ago, RailwayRowdy said:

As sport, in some guise, finally returns to stadia and TV screens I wonder can it survive with no spectators ? Can we all still get excited whilst watching alone on some sort of device ? 

Tentative steps in to re-introducing sport have now been taken, but without the atmosphere created by a paying public, will it work ?

What do people think ?

Vale are very confident they will be playing in September with a 5000 plus capacity, so it isn't something likely to last too long. I believe most of the squad are now getting involved in socially distanced group training, so they must be reasonably confident a return isn't too far away. I believe the Lorne Street seating has been completed to achieve this.

I think the online experience is different when it's your team. I'm overseas for nearly all the season but its still the highlight of my week watching a Vale match online. By contrast I barely watch Premier League football despite the ease of access.

Next season could be very much to Vale's advantage with:

A large ground relative to the fan base

Lack of away days might mean some casuals who do a lot of away games might attend all the home games

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think that the lack of crowd was good for Everton, as one of the pundits at the Liverpool derby said beforehand. Without the crowd there wasn't the same pressure to attack which made the game dull but harder for Liverpool to break them down. I fell asleep!

The pundit probably was Carragher getting his excuses in beforehand !! 

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I’m fascinated by the concept that many pros have said in podcasts that there are some players who are brilliant in training but they fall apart in front of a crowd on match day.

Crazy to think there will be some players loving a lack of a crowd and performing way better than we are used to!

A mate of mine is a Lardie ( sorry ) he made that point about Tom Ince and said he could shine with no crowds , apparently he was atrocious at Reading and taken off. 

Archived