onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New home kit

Vital Spark

43 minutes ago, Doha said:

I still don’t quite understand the authoritarian obsession from quite a few on OVF with suppressing any kit images.

That's because you have no idea of what I have to deal with. I had to have an awkward conversation with people at the club about a leaked kit image last year and it's something I don't want to do again

Can I repeat:

a) It's bad form to leak kit images whether on here or anywhere else

b) It's very easy to think you can do whatever you darn well like on here because none of you "own" the site and have to deal with the consequences if someone does something stupid. I have nothing but respect for the current owners and I am sure it wouldn't happen with them but over the years of OVF thanks to the stupid actions of others, I've had letters from lawyers, calls from the police (yes, really) and I have been harangued by past owners. I would be annoyed enough if it was something I'd done myself but when I have to act and apologise for the thoughtless behaviour of others who post without thinking then it really gets rather annoying!

c) I think I've mentioned not posting them once this year and once last year. If that's an "obsession" then I do think you need to study a dictionary! You can perhaps look up "over exaggerating" while you're at it.

d) Finally, I know that the club themselves don't want leaked kit images. If you have no respect for an OVF request at least have the courtesy to respect the wishes of the finest owners we have had in years.

So - I repeat - no kit images on here. Thank you.

Advert

6 minutes ago, robf said:

That's because you have no idea of what I have to deal with. I had to have an awkward conversation with people at the club about a leaked kit image last year and it's something I don't want to do again

Can I repeat:

a) It's bad form to leak kit images whether on here or anywhere else

b) It's very easy to think you can do whatever you darn well like on here because none of you "own" the site and have to deal with the consequences if someone does something stupid. I have nothing but respect for the current owners and I am sure it wouldn't happen with them but over the years of OVF thanks to the stupid actions of others, I've had letters from lawyers, calls from the police (yes, really) and I have been harangued by past owners. I would be annoyed enough if it was something I'd done myself but when I have to act and apologise for the thoughtless behaviour of others who post without thinking then it really gets rather annoying!

c) I think I've mentioned not posting them once this year and once last year. If that's an "obsession" then I do think you need to study a dictionary! You can perhaps look up "over exaggerating" while you're at it.

d) Finally, I know that the club themselves don't want leaked kit images. If you have no respect for an OVF request at least have the courtesy to respect the wishes of the finest owners we have had in years.

So - I repeat - no kit images on here. Thank you.

a) There are websites dedicated to it, there are broadsheet news articles posted on a daily basis about it where the leaked designs are praised/criticised 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB860GB860&sxsrf=ALeKk02BwJRbkILD3ekMiobIX1sGHk_Hhg:1595936116380&q=leaked+kits&tbm=nws&source=univ&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMu7Oq7e_qAhWLN8AKHQFHB1oQt8YBKAJ6BAgKEBg&biw=1707&bih=850

It's so common place that I think describing it as bad form is perhaps a little archaic. This happens up and down the country every year to every club.

Is it bad form when people post names on here? When people spot a new signing at the ground and report it? It's not an issue then but the principle is the same. 

b) Fair enough. I do understand your concern for the platform. 

c) It wasn't aimed at you Rob. It was aimed at the pile on that happened last season. It became a bit of a hivemind attack on the guy. 

d) Fair enough. But with several new Errea kits being posted on here in recent weeks, why ours are so long delayed and why they're only being revealed the day before delayed launch is why people are so curious as to want them to leak. If anything, the club should be delighted that as a retailer they have customers who are so keen to buy a product that they don't yet even know what it looks like. And won't until August 7th for some bizarre reason. 

Just because there are websites online means nothing (there are plenty of sites online that are morally wrong). 

I repeat. I know for a fact that Carol does not want leaked images of the kit. Do you want to disrespect/ignore her wishes?

It's not like it's not going to be revealed. There's an official launch date.

Some of us are a) happy to wait for it and b) don't want the "reveal" spoiled ahead of time just because someone else can't show patience and wait a few days.

14 minutes ago, Doha said:

If anything, the club should be delighted that as a retailer they have customers who are so keen to buy a product that they don't yet even know what it looks like. And won't until August 7th for some bizarre reason. 

To answer that point alone, while that may be the case there's also an entirely different viewpoint. The club may want to build excitement for their launch day and not have it spoilt in advance. They may want some dramatic images on launch day to show the fans not some grimy mobile phone images that don't show the kit to its advantage. They may want the fans to go to the official site and see the kit (and perhaps place an order) rather than on some random kit website that has nothing to do with the club. So, yes, while they may be pleased if fans are excited about a kit, it doesn't mean that they want their launch day and PR images to be diluted through someone leaking images before it happens.

I listened to an interview yesterday where Carol remarked surprise at how a twitter account had posted that we were going to 'sign a striker tomorrow'. (Rodney) "How the hell did they know that? How did that leak" she said in obvious displeasure.

Yet, again, it's fine to go straight on here on the transfer rumours thread you yourself started. 

The principle is the same, no?

I know how sound Carol is. I regularly crow about it. But rumour mills and leaks are part and parcel of football at every club in the country. It's the culture. It's how things have always been, and Vale is no exception. Clubs are not normal businesses with normal customers. So my sympathies are limited on that very specific basis in that it was nothing out of the ordinary when that picture got leaked last year. The club didn't want it out there, fine, no problem, but christ the bloke didn't exactly abseil into the Pentagon and steal the launch codes. 

There must be a very good commercial reason to delay the images until the day before sales, itself long delayed after lots of other Errea kits have come out. They aren't incompetent dossers like the last lot, they're very good, so there must be a very good reason. I still can't quite rationalise it yet though. 

5 minutes ago, robf said:

The club may want to build excitement for their launch day and not have it spoilt in advance.

I should hope so but delaying launch day until 1 day before they go on sale is rather self defeatist in that regard. 

They may want some dramatic images on launch day to show the fans not some grimy mobile phone images that don't show the kit to its advantage. They may want the fans to go to the official site and see the kit (and perhaps place an order) rather than on some random kit website that has nothing to do with the club. So, yes, while they may be pleased if fans are excited about a kit, it doesn't mean that they want their launch day and PR images to be diluted through someone leaking images before it happens.

I quite agree. I've posted on here before at length about doing this professionally. How when that pink 2012 kit came out it was awkwardly fumbled onto a mannequin and photo taken on a mobile phone camera in front of a dirty wall by an incompetent. 

So why the complete radio silence and wait, instead of already building a buzz? 

21 minutes ago, Doha said:

I listened to an interview yesterday where Carol remarked surprise at how a twitter account had posted that we were going to 'sign a striker tomorrow'. (Rodney) "How the hell did they know that? How did that leak" she said in obvious displeasure.

Yet, again, it's fine to go straight on here on the transfer rumours thread you yourself started. 

I know how sound Carol is. I regularly crow about it. But rumour mills and leaks are part and parcel of football at every club in the country. It's the culture. It's how things have always been, and Vale is no exception. Clubs are not normal businesses with normal customers. So my sympathies are limited on that very specific basis in that it was nothing out of the ordinary when that picture got leaked last year. The club didn't want it out there, fine, no problem, but christ the bloke didn't exactly abseil into the Pentagon and steal the launch codes. 

There must be a very good commercial reason to delay the images until the day before sales, itself long delayed after lots of other Errea kits have come out. They aren't incompetent dossers like the last lot, they're very good, so there must be a very good reason. I still can't quite rationalise it yet though. 

There's a big difference IMO.

I noticed she was referring to Unofficial Vale too and that's because their stuff seems to come directly from the club which a) means it is more likely to be correct info and b) if so it is information that could damage potential deals if revealed too soon.

There's no suggestion (nor should there be) that the OVF rumours thread has inside knowledge of pending deals (and Carol didn't criticise it). Some moves on the thread may happen but not because of any inside knowledge - many are clearly guesses or wrong.

In other words, guesswork doesn't damage the club but an actual leak of a move (or kit) can do.

16 minutes ago, Doha said:

It could be that they are planning the reopening of the club shop to coincide with the kit launch, maybe with a celebrity or a few( socially distanced ) players on hand, which if the kit was leaked would all be a bit pointless.

3 minutes ago, Conrad said:

It could be that they are planning the reopening of the club shop to coincide with the kit launch, maybe with a celebrity or a few( socially distanced ) players on hand, which if the kit was leaked would all be a bit pointless.

Exactly. There's a big difference between "building the buzz" in a managed way and someone just ruining the surprise in advance. A kit leak does nothing to "build the buzz" it's just a huge spoiler.

8 minutes ago, Conrad said:

With just over a week to go, the radio silence means they'd not half be leaving it to the last minute if they want a fan attended event on the Saturday when it goes on sale after a release on the Friday. 

The reason for the impatience here is the delay of information being released. Other clubs are releasing their kit by the same supplier. If ours had come out 4 weeks ago people wouldn't be as upset. I still see no reason we couldnt have done a preorder. 

Fans will always speculate but if we manage get the kits out earlier than expected fans wouldn't need to leak information in the first place. It's the same with transfers. If we announced them all before the end of last season nobody would be speculating about who we are signing now.. 

I personally thought the kit release video last year wasn't a good use of funds. What's wrong with a well photographed player shot like all the other teams do? With a week to go, they could be building interest with teaser shots. It's all about using the excitement as a positive.

Obviously there have been things happening beyond our control this summer, but again, other clubs managed to the theirs out. Why not us? 

I think I'm in a minority who couldn't give a t0ss what the new kit looks like or how it's released. It's what the player's who wear the kit do on the pitch which will matter come the end of the season. If it's a pink flowery number or leather gimp suit, does it really matter in the whole scheme of things?

FFS!!! No wonder the Smurthtwat started using the "cookie jar" saying - some of you are like spoiled brats over the kit launch!! It will launch when the owners want it to, and not before - as is their privilege!

If it launches a couple of days, or even weeks, later than you wanted it to, does that mean you won't buy it? Or, you may have to purchase it a little later than you'd hoped? It shouldn't affect sales in the long term? No matter how you try to justify this, it isn't the same as a transfer rumour and could only be so if the Club announced that new signings will be on a specific date.

Let's just console ourselves with the fact that the launch date is approaching - I hope nobody goes against the owner's wishes and does a leaked image? It seems that would spoil their campaign? Just another thought - maybe Errea have a programme of kit launches, so they can make sure all the publicity is correct, and any last-minute adjustments can be made before the launch?

Archived