onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Willie Thorne RIP

Snooker star and TV commentator Willie Thorne has sadly passed away after a short battle against Leukemia.

Classed as one of the games great break builders, he reached a career high of 7 in the world rankings.

His  playing career was probably at its height in the 80’s as part of Barry Hearns’ Matchroom team, but his well documented gambling addiction led to bankruptcy in 2016. 

RIP Willie and thanks for the memories. 

Advert

Well said, RR.

A well known and popular snooker player from my era, as well as a commentator alongside Ted Lowe.

Sadly, his gambling problems seemed to re-occur and ruin his life but he was a larger than life character and always good to watch.

Sad news.

I usually go to the televised tournament in Llandudno and also the qualifying events at Pontin’s Prestatyn, but both events cancelled this year due to the pandemic.

Around 2006 I went to the World Championship qualifiers in Prestatyn to watch local players Dave Harold and Jamie Cope. 

Harold won a turgid affair with Journeyman Mike Dunn, but Cope lost in a fantastic match to some scruffy, skinny lad I had never heard of who looked about 14.

It turned out to be Judd Trump !

Many years ago, as a little lad, I remember going on holiday to Pontins, Prestatyn, and watching some snooker greats, marvelling at their trick shots and sense of humour.

The star of the week was John Spencer. 

Happy memories. 

As with a lot of sportsmen, it seems as if many of them had more enthusiastic and open personalities than they do today. A lot of grey characters about now.

They were wonderful ambassadors for their sport, stayed behind and chatted and signed autographs and posed for photos.

I remember Prestatyn with great affection.

Thanks for the reminder, RR.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Many years ago, as a little lad, I remember going on holiday to Pontins, Prestatyn, and watching some snooker greats

My first holiday without my parents was at Pontin’s Heysham in around 1974.

That week, the pro snooker player who would play the camp champion was the great John Pullman. 

Pulman, who had won 8 world championships, wore these strange glasses which were tilted at a slight angle so as he had a clear view when down on the shot.

In his frame against the camper, his 1st shot was to smash open the pack and then when the holiday maker missed, he scored around 80 odd to win !

Great memories !

Archived