onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

1 minute ago, geosname said:

I never said it was...... the pilot seemed to, the airport seemed to, the guy who paid for it seemed to, the company who made it seemed to..... they decided it was ok. They were the ones involved.

Depends how emotional they were I think Geo.

Advert

2 minutes ago, geosname said:

I never said it was...... the pilot seemed to, the airport seemed to, the guy who paid for it seemed to, the company who made it seemed to..... they decided it was ok. They were the ones involved.

And thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of people who saw it think it wasnt.

Including you

2 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Why are you being personal again?

Now I understand that the words themselves can be construed as friendly and supportive however the context in which you use them makes them derogatory...

In your opinion.

It seems you are jumping all over the place calling everyone who doesn't follow your strange way of thinking a racist.

It's not a supportive question, it's more confusion at you trying to tell me what I'm going to say..... seems normal to reply after someone has posted.

5 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

You've actually STILL not given any concrete reason for why the banner is racist. You are just trebling down on this emotion thing. Emotion has nothing to do with it.

I have explained my emotions thing twice... you don’t understand it.

This will be fun... you explain to me your understanding of what I was saying about Robbie being emotional.

You are a clever chap, and you have twice now interpreted it incorrectly, so I’m fascinated as to how you read it?

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

And thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of people who saw it think it wasnt.

Including you

So what? Does everyone need public consensus before they do something they think is right? There wouldn't be many protests if that were the case.

2 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

No.  I am pointing out that to try and argue a technicality like some of you are doing is perpetuating the problem of racism.  Therefore in this incident to ignore the context is a racist act, like it or not.  You probably dont even realise and certainly dont intend it to be that way but like it or not, your argument is part of the reason why racism still exists in 2020.  

Wasted effort I’m afraid.

With a global movement to try and get equality for black people some will tinker around the edges and use semantics to Chip away at the message and greater cause.

They support it though... don’t forget.

1 minute ago, Nofinikea said:

No.  I am pointing out that to try and argue a technicality like some of you are doing is perpetuating the problem of racism.  Therefore in this incident to ignore the context is a racist act, like it or not.  You probably dont even realise and certainly dont intend it to be that way but like it or not, your argument is part of the reason why racism still exists in 2020.  

I haven't said anything that is racist or supports racism in any way.

I asked what was wrong with the banner.... not the intent.

The simple answer would have been people saw it as offensive.... you on the other hand jumped straight to race even though you stated it wasn't racist and you claim it's a fact.... (that's offensive)... it's not a fact it's simply an opinion which you constantly deny others can have if they don't align with your own.

Because one side of an argument/discussion shout louder than the other and make wild accusations doesn't make them right or make any progress.

My opinion is that to get any sort of equality everyone has to be equal under the law.

You have no idea how I have lived, what I have done, what my experience is yet you simply label me because I don't follow you like a sheep. I have never been a sheep.

The solution to the problem of police officers abusing their power against black people is to stop them abusing all people. It's by far the simplest solution.

26 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

To ignore context is a racist act, we're now told.

I don't think you honestly believe that. I think you will be more than happy to ignore context if say, Boris writes an article defending Muslim women's right to wear a veil by making a joke about them looking like letter boxes.

In that case, anyone who argues that context is important is also comitting a racist act.

So if you ignore context, you are racist, if you do not ignore context, you are a racist. Do you not see a problem with that?

Burnley`s stance , copied from the Guardian.

Burnley’s condemnation of the banner on Monday prompted numerous complaints on social media and to the club questioning their stance. Garlick and Hart felt compelled to explain their objection in Tuesday’s statement. It read: “While we naturally consider that all lives matter, let us be clear that the Black Lives Matter movement aims to overcome years of racial inequality against the BAME community and promote a greater fairness for all. We at Burnley therefore stand firmly behind it and oppose anything that may appear to undermine or challenge such a positive message.”

21 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Wasted effort I’m afraid.

With a global movement to try and get equality for black people some will tinker around the edges and use semantics to Chip away at the message and greater cause.

They support it though... don’t forget.

Hang on..... I thought equality wasn't exclusive..... isn't the object to get equality for all..... isn't that the essence of equality.

If you think changing how the law operates is tinkering around the edges you have little idea what a monumental task is involved.

Are you suggesting we put a plaster on the problem when major surgery is needed? Make black people equal now.... then we can make Asians equal and so on then go back to see if everyone is equal, which they probably won't be because laws will have been created to deal with one specific group at a time with amendments for the people who weren't covered.

PFA Equality Director Iffy Onuora:

“The words themselves aren’t offensive, it’s just the context. It’s the rejection of the conversation we’re having at the moment. That’s what it represents.

“I guess people have the right to do it. For me it’s just proof again that these things can lead to positive things because all that’s been said in the 12 hours since the game finished has been, again, a catalyst, another conversation to have.

“I think the good thing is that we are at such a transformative point now in the year and in football, all that’s gone on, that this just expands it again and hopefully leads to more conversations.

“For everyone out there these are uncomfortable conversations and we’ve got to have them. There’s nothing wrong with doing that, being comfortable with being uncomfortable.”

It's ok to be saddened by it.

It's ok to turn it into a positive.

It's ok to recognise the rights of others, even if you disagree with them.

It's ok to call this what it was.

I've said it loads of times recently. What do you think the reaction will be from people who are white, working class, northern, who feel that they're under attack because of their skin colour. Many of the nuanced arguments about privilege simply do not apply to them. They have no voice but for the Tommy Robinson's et al.

"look what happens when you say white lives matter, this is proof that white lives do not matter" - easy recruitment.

We have to try something else.

Archived