onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

Advert

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Just so everyone doesn't start running down a rabbit hole of there being no police. (RB... Told you this would happen)

This is NOT what BLM are talking about... Its on their website. They believe that the remit of the police should be reduced only in areas where they are not best trained or placed to help. Like dealing with mentally ill people for example.

They are not suggesting that you just get rid of police or disband them. 

My original post was a clumsy attempt at sarcasm so Iv'e done a bit of digging.

Your source I am guessing is from the BLM's website. There seems to be two BLM's in the UK.

My source is the UKBLM site.. 

Under the "How we will spend the funds" heading........

- Developing and delivering training, police monitoring and strategies for the abolition of police. Working alongside existing anti-racist organisations to strengthen the wider movement across the UK.

Abolition to me means getting rid of.

Maybe the two groups should make it clear they are separate from each other.

8 minutes ago, Mario said:

My original post was a clumsy attempt at sarcasm so Iv'e done a bit of digging.

Your source I am guessing is from the BLM's website. There seems to be two BLM's in the UK.

My source is the UKBLM site.. 

Under the "How we will spend the funds" heading........

- Developing and delivering training, police monitoring and strategies for the abolition of police. Working alongside existing anti-racist organisations to strengthen the wider movement across the UK.

Abolition to me means getting rid of.

Maybe the two groups should make it clear they are separate from each other.

Have you got a link to the site, I couldn’t find it with a quick google search.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Just so everyone doesn't start running down a rabbit hole of there being no police. (RB... Told you this would happen)

This is NOT what BLM are talking about... Its on their website. They believe that the remit of the police should be reduced only in areas where they are not best trained or placed to help. Like dealing with mentally ill people for example.

They are not suggesting that you just get rid of police or disband them. 

so in the marchs Friday and Saturday, not one of the blm protesters want to get rid of the police?  really?

19 minutes ago, Mario said:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

Roughly half way down under "How we will spend the funds"

Gotcha, thanks.

Really interesting and a poor use of a very strong word.

some good reading here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2020/6/12/21283813/george-floyd-blm-abolish-the-police-8cantwait-minneapolis

I fundamentally believe that They don’t want to get rid of the police completely so there is no law and order... as the main group in the US say, it’s about changing the way the police are used.

The link above talks about them using provocative language to create the discussion.

People will just assume they want no police at all... really? Seriously?

But I agree... bad word to use and that’s a mistake in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

so in the marchs Friday and Saturday, not one of the blm protesters want to get rid of the police?  really?

No more than the far right protesters contained people that just wanted to fight some people because football violence is a bit quiet at the moment.

I do not believe that they want all the police to go away so there is no law and order... do you!? Ignore the extremists... the general consensus of the moment... is that what you believe?

I have a friend who lives in SoCal and runs a business in Los Angeles, he was telling me in an email

" The politicians are using an expression “defund the police”. Though listening to some good politicians over here, (we have a few), its the wrong use of the word “defund” but they believe the police force should be made up of different departments. For example;
1. Domestic Violence
2. Suicide
3. Drug Overdose
4. Homeless violation (there are 44,000 homeless in Los Angeles alone)"

Another point he brought up about life over there that I found interesting was -

" I had to board up my store in Los Angeles with plywood sheeting. The looting was close. A pharmacy/chemist 6 doors from me has been gutted. Melrose Blvd., one block away is like the aftermath of a war! So very sad. These people were not part of the protest demonstrations. They are anarchists and opportunists. The helicopter footage showed a familiar scene. A convoy of vehicles (10) drive up In front of a store( clothes, shoes, bicycles seemed popular).
About 30 would “attack” the store using crowbars, metal cutters, hammers etc., smash there way in and loot the store before the police arrived. The first few days the police just allowed them to do it! Once the National Guard arrived these type of crimes diminished."

Quite frightening really and shows just how fortunate we are in this country 

28 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I have a friend who lives in SoCal and runs a business in Los Angeles, he was telling me in an email

" The politicians are using an expression “defund the police”. Though listening to some good politicians over here, (we have a few), its the wrong use of the word “defund” but they believe the police force should be made up of different departments. For example;
1. Domestic Violence
2. Suicide
3. Drug Overdose
4. Homeless violation (there are 44,000 homeless in Los Angeles alone)"

Another point he brought up about life over there that I found interesting was -

" I had to board up my store in Los Angeles with plywood sheeting. The looting was close. A pharmacy/chemist 6 doors from me has been gutted. Melrose Blvd., one block away is like the aftermath of a war! So very sad. These people were not part of the protest demonstrations. They are anarchists and opportunists. The helicopter footage showed a familiar scene. A convoy of vehicles (10) drive up In front of a store( clothes, shoes, bicycles seemed popular).
About 30 would “attack” the store using crowbars, metal cutters, hammers etc., smash there way in and loot the store before the police arrived. The first few days the police just allowed them to do it! Once the National Guard arrived these type of crimes diminished."

Quite frightening really and shows just how fortunate we are in this country 

Thanks for the insight,  I always thought the US  was better off than us, probably based on films and TV. the last few years have been eye openers.

53 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Has anyone actually read the link I quoted about disbanding the police in one city in the US?  It is really interesting to see the dramatic fall in serious crime that resulted.

Yes,  Do  the Met and the rest of the UK police work to the same rules in crowd control? Aggression usually provokes a response, or is it due to London  demos being larger?

23 hours ago, TheSage said:

Racial equality isn't a matter of left or right. It has nothing to do with party politics.

It's a moral imperative.

It's about what is right and what is wrong.

Spot on Sage, that's exactly why we must not let extreme political parties control the narrative on these issues.

23 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Honest question with no angle... have you watched the 13th on Netflix.

I would be genuinely interested in your opinion of it.

Despite you chucking your dummy out every now and again 😉 I actually enjoy debating this stuff with you... as I say, if we all thought the same it would be a very boring world!!! 

No I haven't but I am familiar with some of the subject matter having had a quick google. I'll endeavour to watch it soon.

Archived