onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

Search my posts for the phase “Mia culpa” it means “my fault“ and I‘m quite happy  admitting when I’m wrong about something.

This feels like a very high school or primary school argument.

If you don’t like people disagreeing with you then a thread debating difficult topics may not be for you. 

Yet another perfect example!

But you aren’t debating, that’s the whole point. You’re just obsessed with your views and won’t even accept any other views which are probably as equally devoid of facts as yours are.

Advert

11 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

Yet another perfect example!

But you aren’t debating, that’s the whole point. You’re just obsessed with your views and won’t even accept any other views which are probably as equally devoid of facts as yours are.

Give me an example of a view you would like me to accept?

38 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

No I’m afraid the point I was going to make was, if you don’t commit a crime or act aggressively then it’s highly unlikely you will cross paths with the police in the first place, 

Sorry mate that's not true.

It's what people want to think, it's what police want you to think.... you can trust the good old British Bobby etc.

Even if you are known to the police it doesn't excuse them from acting unlawfully

Take something as benign as public photography..... it not illegal to take photos or videos of anything you can see from a public place..... it's the same law that allows CCTV to operate all across the country... yet photographers are often harrassed for taking photos of buildings that are available to view on Google maps in greater detail..... stopped, searched, detained, arrested, assaulted, equipment seized, content deleted etc etc.

Drivers have been stopped for a document check, told they must join the officer in the police vehicle while they do their checks then arrested and assaulted when they decline.... drivers threatened with arrest if they don't have their documents on them ..... I could go on.... and on

18 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

So the answer to the first question is that they want a conversation and a debate about how policing could be better.

Do you actually believe that BLM want no police officers anywhere in America?

And the second answer has the very clear caveat that its a personal opinion.

Listen, this isn't a contract. My OVF posts are not legally binding.

You don't hold anyone else to this standard and it would be a lie if you said that I hold anyone to that standard.

I used the word abolish. BLM talk about abolishing the police. I've posted multiple pictures and sources now of the discussion being had. It wasn't unreasonable. Whatever you are trying to say here...whether I've made up absolishment as part of some anti-blm conspiracy, is quite clearly 100% wrong.

And for the 4th time now....Even if you change that word to defund, my point remains.

Please stop targetting me with this nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Listen, this isn't a contract. My OVF posts are not legally binding.

I didn't say they were.

My point was simply that there is a communications war out there at the moment with different side targeting different groups with real or fake news.

It is therefore important that people realise that BLMs official policy is NOT to abolish or get rid of the police. Are there extremist supporters on the periphery who want that? maybe so... but as everyone have been saying over the last week, the extremists on the edge don't represent the cause.

That's the type of comment that gets taken and swept over Social media, and then people who take all their opinions off facebook or twitter start to believe it. It undermines the importance of their actual message.

I just expected a little better of you, someone who preaches fact and evidence when you came up with a statement that wasn't true and could cause further divide where its not necessary.

This whole debate is about how people view black people from a default negative position. I'm not saying you are doing that. But that statement of yours could very easily have lead to it happening again.

So best to clear it up. 

18 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Do you believe that the police in the US treat white people the same as black people?

No they obviously don't. that's not the issue though. The important question is why?

There are racial differences in all walks of life, they're not automatically racist though.

The left is saying "well they're black, therefore racism" - this may be correct but there are other factors which must be taken into account and investigated thoroughly before we can actually quantify racism in US police forces.

Why are men around 20 times more likely to be killed by police than women? I wouldn't put it down to institutional sexism, I would say that men are far more likely to interact with the police in situations that may lead to lethal force being used.

What doesn't help is automatically labelling every black death at the hands of the police as a racial injustice before the facts are known.

Or the sneering, smearing vile attitude of leftists who are intolerant of other ideas, especially when they themselves are being racist.

16 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

No they obviously don't. that's not the issue though. The important question is why?

There are racial differences in all walks of life, they're not automatically racist though.

The left is saying "well they're black, therefore racism" - this may be correct but there are other factors which must be taken into account and investigated thoroughly before we can actually quantify racism in US police forces.

Why are men around 20 times more likely to be killed by police than women? I wouldn't put it down to institutional sexism, I would say that men are far more likely to interact with the police in situations that may lead to lethal force being used.

What doesn't help is automatically labelling every black death at the hands of the police as a racial injustice before the facts are known.

Or the sneering, smearing vile attitude of leftists who are intolerant of other ideas, especially when they themselves are being racist.

Honest question with no angle... have you watched the 13th on Netflix.

I would be genuinely interested in your opinion of it.

Despite you chucking your dummy out every now and again 😉 I actually enjoy debating this stuff with you... as I say, if we all thought the same it would be a very boring world!!! 

On 14/06/2020 at 11:17, TheSage said:

Yesterday. This idea that both sides are equally to blame is ludicrous.

As far as I was aware the BLM campaign was about racial equality and civil rights. What we saw yesterday was white supremacists, thugs and hooligans targeting the police and deliberately causing mayhem, quite apart from their Nazi salutes and threatening behaviour.

Nothing noble about what their intentions were.

What about the noble intentions the week before Sage when there were no restrictions?

According to the BBC,a total of 27 police officers were hurt in largely peaceful protests by BLM supporters.

6 police officers suffered minor injuries and more than 100 people were arrested after the Met.Police had placed restrictions on several groups intending to protest following violent scenes last weekend.

Archived