onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

4 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:
Actual white supremacists will be rubbing their hands together right about now.

I think this is fair point. They already are. And the conversation has shifted from societal inequality and institutional racism to fawlty towers. On the flip side though, the decision about these tv programs are not made by protestors, or blm, they are made by tv executives. 

44 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

no... neither BLM.

just a old guy who believes its up to my discretion  what I can look at, what I can read, what I can say, and what I can listen to, as long as I don't break the law of the land...

You still can. It’s not illegal to watch those things. But let’s not lose sight of the bigger picture. You might find it harder to access bo selecta, someone else is being discriminated to by the police or the jobs market. 

7 minutes ago, geosname said:

That's what they call themselves..... but who or even what are they? 

Football hooligans/EDL type group.

Advert

More on Fawlty Towers.

Its one episode that has been removed due to the use of the N word.

The BBC edited out the use of the N word in 2013 and have been showing the edited version ever since. (No one seemed to have a breakdown then about how their history and comedy was being taken away from them!)

Cleese approved of that change and supported it.

The streaming service from which it was just removed was using the unedited version.

It will no doubt replace it with the edited version.

So all this woe is me has been a little over the top.

10 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

I think this is fair point. They already are. And the conversation has shifted from societal inequality and institutional racism to fawlty towers. On the flip side though, the decision about these tv programs are not made by protestors, or blm, they are made by tv executives. 

You still can. It’s not illegal to watch those things. But let’s not lose sight of the bigger picture. You might find it harder to access bo selecta, someone else is being discriminated to by the police or the jobs market. 

Football hooligans/EDL type group.

Getting the tin hat out again... they are, but jf they stop protesters damaging monuments so be it. The police dare not or else they will be called racists, did you see their response to the "person" climb onto the cenotaph and try to burn the union flag, what did the police do "come down sir, you might hurt yourself", if you don't believe that watch the video... now ask yourself if he had been a football supporter would they have asked him to come down, or would he have been dragged off it.

3 hours ago, TheSage said:

You can disagree all you like but you are wrong.

It has nothing at all to do with party politics but the law of the land. It's the judiciary that rightly should be the arbiter of these things.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean any extremist can be allowed to peddle their disgusting views. It comes with responsibilities.

That's why we have laws of slander and libel and defamation. Ever heard of them and what they are for

The judiciary is there to interpret and to apply the law Sage, not to invent it. Democracy would be in chaos if we didn't vote for the lawmakers (who then form a Government), and we do not elect the judiciary.

I think Libel/Slander law proves my point too, with all due respect.

1. They are civil laws not criminal laws - the state does not tell people what they can and can't say, but the court will hear a case if someone feels they've been harmed by an untruthful statement.

2. there is an absolute defence to accusations of libel/slander - The Truth! - if you can demonstrate that what you say is true, you are free to say it. If you are ruled to have caused someone damage with a statement that is untrue, then you are responsible for compensating that person.

We already have protections in place to punish criminals and to protect society.

Another massive issue which you didn't address in your post is...who should decide what speech is illegal? The judiciary can't decide that, they can interpret things but they can't write a brand new law...

Law is created by Parliament in our system. As it stands the Conservatives have a huge majority, are you happy for them to control what language you can use for the next 4 years at least?

29 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

More on Fawlty Towers.

Its one episode that has been removed due to the use of the N word.

The BBC edited out the use of the N word in 2013 and have been showing the edited version ever since. (No one seemed to have a breakdown then about how their history and comedy was being taken away from them!)

Cleese approved of that change and supported it.

The streaming service from which it was just removed was using the unedited version.

It will no doubt replace it with the edited version.

So all this woe is me has been a little over the top.

I think that's reasonable if they're bleeping it out.

20 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

Getting the tin hat out again... they are, but jf they stop protesters damaging monuments so be it. The police dare not or else they will be called racists, did you see their response to the "person" climb onto the cenotaph and try to burn the union flag, what did the police do "come down sir, you might hurt yourself", if you don't believe that watch the video... now ask yourself if he had been a football supporter would they have asked him to come down, or would he have been dragged off it.

“Yeah lads, if any of them suffragettes go anywhere near that racecourse me and the  naughty forty lads will show em what for... I’m not having them doing anything criminal”

Football Lads Alliance, 1913

Winston Churchill’s statue has been vandalised in protests for years.

May day protests

Anti Capitalism Riots

Student protests.

Where were the football lads then to protect it... no where... wonder why this protest is different. 

*cough cough... race issue... cough cough*

15 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

“Yeah lads, if any of them suffragettes go anywhere near that racecourse me and the  naughty forty lads will show em what for... I’m not having them doing anything criminal”

Football Lads Alliance, 1913

the naughty forty lads, have you let slip your lardy allegiance?...

A good thing that I hope comes out of recent events is the crackdown on modern day slavery which is quite a problem in some of the large cities, some eastern european immigrants take advantage of their fellow country men and women, so I hope with slavery being on the front pages I hope something can be done to help the plight of those abused.

2 hours ago, Davebrad said:

You’ve managed to be more critical on this thread to Jeremy Corbyn for not responding to accusations of racism, than imperialism, mein kampf and Racist football hooligans.

is it illegal to burn the union flag? Not condoning it, but shouldn’t the police use reasonable actions concerning the crime being committed. We wouldn’t want policing the way they do in the US. 

54 minutes ago, Mario said:

A good thing that I hope comes out of recent events is the crackdown on modern day slavery which is quite a problem in some of the large cities, some eastern european immigrants take advantage of their fellow country men and women, so I hope with slavery being on the front pages I hope something can be done to help the plight of those abused.

Agreed.

Archived