onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

1 hour ago, Andyregs said:

What about comedy on the tv though? Do they have a responsibility not to show some things. They wouldn’t for example show Bernard manning anymore. 

there is also the woman on the last leg, and the girl in the malteasers advert. It been accepted that you pick fun at your own though I think? Do you punch up or down with comedy (or sideways?). 

My politics is very much based on the freedom to do what you want - so I'm not going to demand that broadcasters must ban certain comedians or that they must give air time to comedians that would hurt their brand, so I'm kind of ok with the BBC removing things from iPlayer that they do not want on there, that's there choice.

That being said, I do have an issue when people impinge on the rights of others. Lets say a website wanted to stream a Bernard Manning set - and I wanted to pay for and watch it (I don't want to watch Manning by the way), I have a real issue with someone demanding that I shouldn't watch it and they shouldn't show it. I'm a bit torn with cancel culture in general, I think it's damaging to society but also I think people should be free to partake in it.

I think poking fun at your own community is accepted on the whole, as is the idea of punching up in comedy.

The punching down debate is interesting - I think there are comedians that can do it, and do it very well. I saw a clip of Gervais talking about this when he deliberately got a groan from his audience and then berated them by saying he was rich and didn't care - the joke was actually on him rather than the audience.

Bill Burr is another one - a massive US comedian, not as famous in the UK as he should be in my honest opinion - one of his most famous clips is him listing reasons when it is justifiable to hit a woman. It sounds horrendous written down on OVF but having watched it I found it very funny.

Frankie Boyle - He has told jokes which many would agree, cross a line. I've never particularly liked him as I felt his offensiveness was too contrived. Not that I'm offended by him, just not a massive fan either.

I do think it's possible to punch down and still be funny but you have to be a truly excellent comedian to do it well, I saw this discussed on a podcast recently (from the guy whose story I posted earlier - Konstantin Kisin) where his guest, a cancelled comedian, said that the payoff for successfully telling an offensive joke is greater - because the audience knows the risk you are taking.

Bit of an essay sorry.

Advert

Maybe people can put their pitch forks down. Seems like hbo are doing exactly what some here have suggested should be done with such things. Don’t just read the headline.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/10/media/gone-with-the-wind-hbo-max/index.html

"These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible," the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson added that when the film returns to HBO Max, it "will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions," and will be presented "as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

11 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

My politics is very much based on the freedom to do what you want - so I'm not going to demand that broadcasters must ban certain comedians or that they must give air time to comedians that would hurt their brand, so I'm kind of ok with the BBC removing things from iPlayer that they do not want on there, that's there choice.

That being said, I do have an issue when people impinge on the rights of others. Lets say a website wanted to stream a Bernard Manning set - and I wanted to pay for and watch it (I don't want to watch Manning by the way), I have a real issue with someone demanding that I shouldn't watch it and they shouldn't show it. I'm a bit torn with cancel culture in general, I think it's damaging to society but also I think people should be free to partake in it.

I think poking fun at your own community is accepted on the whole, as is the idea of punching up in comedy.

The punching down debate is interesting - I think there are comedians that can do it, and do it very well. I saw a clip of Gervais talking about this when he deliberately got a groan from his audience and then berated them by saying he was rich and didn't care - the joke was actually on him rather than the audience.

Bill Burr is another one - a massive US comedian, not as famous in the UK as he should be in my honest opinion - one of his most famous clips is him listing reasons when it is justifiable to hit a woman. It sounds horrendous written down on OVF but having watched it I found it very funny.

Frankie Boyle - He has told jokes which many would agree, cross a line. I've never particularly liked him as I felt his offensiveness was too contrived. Not that I'm offended by him, just not a massive fan either.

I do think it's possible to punch down and still be funny but you have to be a truly excellent comedian to do it well, I saw this discussed on a podcast recently (from the guy whose story I posted earlier - Konstantin Kisin) where his guest, a cancelled comedian, said that the payoff for successfully telling an offensive joke is greater - because the audience knows the risk you are taking.

Bit of an essay sorry.

with censorship it has to be agreed and adhered to by all, a official body, ie UK films overseen by the British Board of Film Classification, the film industries censors, the industry has to adhere to a set of rules agreed to by them, councils, etc, and films are graded, and the choice is then ours. In the present BLM marches/demostrations pressure is being made on more or less all our lives by groups of protesters, and our right of choice has gone...one mans choice is another mans denial.

16 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Maybe people can put their pitch forks down. Seems like hbo are doing exactly what some here have suggested should be done with such things. Don’t just read the headline.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/10/media/gone-with-the-wind-hbo-max/index.html

"These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible," the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson added that when the film returns to HBO Max, it "will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions," and will be presented "as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

this is being done to a lesser degree on old films on tv, a qualifying header is shown saying "this film shows distressing scenes and outdated language that some viewers may find offensive", which is fair enough, if you carry on watching you've been warned...

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

The Inbetweeners has now been pulled.

Stop world , I want to get off . 

Yeah how dare they take it down because of a rights issue, the leftwaffe scum. Depriving the world of genius moments of comedy such as "bus w*nkers!" and "football friend!". How will we survive?

regarding Lord Baden Powell, and calls for his statue to be removed, I saw this on another site-

Today the statue of Lord Baden Powell (founder and first chief scout of the scout movement) is being removed because activists have alleged that he was racist, homophobic and a supporter of Hitler. It seems not to matter that the scout movement has vastly improved the lives of youngsters the world over, youngster of all nations both black and white have gained a great deal from the scout movement.

Scout Law
The Scout Law

1. A Scout is to be trusted.
  2. A Scout is loyal.
  3. A Scout is friendly and considerate.
  4. A Scout belongs to the world-wide family of Scouts.
  5. A Scout has courage in all difficulties.
  6. A Scout makes good use of time and is careful of possessions and property.
  7. A Scout has self-respect and respect for others.

makes you think...

from a lapsed scout.

6 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

regarding Lord Baden Powell, and calls for his statue to be removed, I saw this on another site-

Today the statue of Lord Baden Powell (founder and first chief scout of the scout movement) is being removed because activists have alleged that he was racist, homophobic and a supporter of Hitler. It seems not to matter that the scout movement has vastly improved the lives of youngsters the world over, youngster of all nations both black and white have gained a great deal from the scout movement.

Scout Law
The Scout Law

2. A Scout is loyal.

makes you think...

from a lapsed scout.

We are on a slippery slope Dave, I can't help wondering how many black people are actually bothered and it's activists trying the old tactic of divide and rule.

7 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

Scout Law
The Scout Law

2. A Scout is loyal.

makes you think...

from a lapsed scout.

Removed by the council to a safe place, I would expect it to be restored one day. He was not a profiteer from slavery.  Fought in a few African wars,  thought well of Fascists, but so did the Mail and a few royals/gentry.

7 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

Scout Law
The Scout Law

2. A Scout is loyal.

makes you think...

from a lapsed scout.

Alleged? 

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/christopher-hitchens-on-the-mildly-fascist-founder-of-the-boy-scouts/272683/

If you want to argue that the statues are a good thing because if certain things they have done, I don’t think it does your argument much good to try and pretend these people didn’t believe horrendous things. Churchill was racist. Baden Powell was homophobic and looked up to fascists. You can’t argue that we need to preserve these things for educational purposes and then pretend half of their lives aren’t relevant. 

Archived