onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

unnamed.jpg

It depends on what the argument about blackface is. There is a long history of it that isn’t pleasant that ‘white face’ doesn’t have. It isn’t just the fact that a white person put on black make up. It was the way that was used. 

Advert

2 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Chris Morris was very controversial when it came out. And it covered topics such as pedophilia. The important point was that it didn’t pick fun at victims, It punched up. I was at school when it was on so as with a lot of these, I may not have noticed some things. I suppose the problem with bo selecta (which didn’t receive any of the controversy Chris Morris brass eye did) is that it wasn’t an impression of Trisha. So who what is the target of the joke? 

I remember brass eye and the peadophile episode. I didnt really get it at the time and remember feeling uncomfortable with it. I've seen it since though and formed a totally different view.  

Interesting with TV.  I suppose there are things, manning again being an example, that are now accepted by the vast, vast majority as just awful taste.

I suppose the obvious answer with the Trisha clip is that it does mock the Caribbean community. As you say, given that the victim is mocked maybe that's where it gets iffy.

27 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Well that does seem absolutely ridiculous. 

It isnt clear why yet though. Its still on other streaming services apparently, and it may be a copyright issue with it being on britbox now.

Whatever it is, there isnt any race issues with inbetweeners. Always thought it was the closest portrayal of being a teenage boy on tv.

11 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

It isnt clear why yet though. Its still on other streaming services apparently, and it may be a copyright issue with it being on britbox now.

Whatever it is, there isnt any race issues with inbetweeners. Always thought it was the closest portrayal of being a teenage boy on tv.

Ah ok.  

No, definitely no racial issues in there.  

Indeed it is, and very funny it is.

55 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The Inbetweeners has now been pulled.

Stop world , I want to get off . 

HBO the US service as stopped showing of Gone with the Wind,  will Glory go? or will that one be passed as it portrays the positive struggle of the afro-americans,

Bayden-Powell is now on the hit list, so where will all this go, as if you delve into any person with a statue there will be something someone will object to...

one last thought, censorship, if the government was doing this we'd be protesting on the streets...

1 minute ago, For Us All said:

Apparently,Dads Army,Faulty Towers and Only Fools and Horses are next in line.

Do I need to hide my DVD's?

well Faulty Towers, when the Major tries to describe his visit to the Oval, when Eng played India, may be a deemed that way. His description of the Indians and the West Indies is quite blunt. But that was normal then.

5 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Indeed it is, and very funny it is.

It’s one of the reasons I find It so funny, is because I can relate to it. You’re laughing at them, and at yourself at that age. 

There has been a a lot of talk about education on here. And what is happening is doing that. Yes Churchill was vital to winning the war and defeating the nazis. He was also racist. Baden Powell started the scouts. He also supported fascists. We all have benefited from slavery and murder. Some of these things are not nice to acknowledge about our country. Does it mean we should feel personal guilt, of course not. Though some take these things personally. Does it mean we should do everything in our power to ensure a fair society and we look to celebrate better people. I’d argue yes.

Archived