onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

Advert

13 hours ago, Andyregs said:

The holocaust ‘has a few faults’? But at least they built the autobahn hey!

No one had ever argued they don’t. 

Craig David? 

"David was frequently caricatured by comedian Leigh Francis on the British TV comedy show Bo' Selecta!; the show's title itself being a reference to his song "Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)". Although many other celebrities lampooned in the series appreciated the jokes and even appeared in the series themselves, David—the series' most prominently mocked target—did not enjoy the attention, remarking that the public were no longer taking him seriously.[49] Speaking to The Sunday Times in 2007, David confessed that "The whole Bo' Selecta! thing was killing me for a while because this idiot had a cult following and I was the main caricature".

21 minutes ago, Warren said:

"David was frequently caricatured by comedian Leigh Francis on the British TV comedy show Bo' Selecta!; the show's title itself being a reference to his song "Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)". Although many other celebrities lampooned in the series appreciated the jokes and even appeared in the series themselves, David—the series' most prominently mocked target—did not enjoy the attention, remarking that the public were no longer taking him seriously.[49] Speaking to The Sunday Times in 2007, David confessed that "The whole Bo' Selecta! thing was killing me for a while because this idiot had a cult following and I was the main caricature".

I read the wiki, as I wasn’t aware. I linked his apology. The rest of the wiki says that he denied leaving the country because of it, but he could well be playing things down to move on. Who knows. 
little Britain has been taken off air now. 

8 hours ago, Andyregs said:

I read the wiki, as I wasn’t aware. I linked his apology. The rest of the wiki says that he denied leaving the country because of it, but he could well be playing things down to move on. Who knows. 
little Britain has been taken off air now. 

Little Britain was great.

Nearly 20 years old now mind

8 hours ago, Warren said:

I might be totally wrong, he wasn't actually being offensive because Craig David was black though. As i say he wore masks of numerous celebrity types whether A list or Z list .Elton John , The Osbournes, David Blaine. 

Craig David was one of his wind ups because of the lyrics in his song as Warren quotes. He had a kestrel on his shoulder which was quite bizarre. There was no send up or mimicking of David being black to my knowledge. Elton John got absolute pelters on there, far worse than David and it hasn't affected his career.

craig-david-in-bo-selecta.jpg

11 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I might be totally wrong, he wasn't actually being offensive because Craig David was black though. As i say he wore masks of numerous celebrity types whether A list or Z list .Elton John , The Osbournes, David Blaine. 

Craig David was one of his wind ups because of the lyrics in his song as Warren quotes. He had a kestrel on his shoulder which was quite bizarre. There was no send up or mimicking of David being black to my knowledge. Elton John got absolute pelters on there, far worse than David and it hasn't affected his career.

craig-david-in-bo-selecta.jpg

And guess what?

It was funny. All of it.

15 hours ago, Joe B said:

Really fascinated by the sudden appearance of a subset of British society who think that statues are primarily educational, and the ONLY way of educating people about the past.

Apart from home/parents what education of racial intolerance,slave trading,police brutality is given in our schools?

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

And guess what?

It was funny. All of it.

Mr David certainly doesn't look unhappy to be in the photograph despite his remarks about it ruining his career. 

In a 2015 interview with the Daily Mirror, David stated that he had no hard feelings towards Francis, explaining how he had seen him at a wedding and given him a hug, assuring him they were "cool". He further explained in the interview that it was his PR team who suggested that he "play hurt" by the caricature.[54] He reiterated this stance on The Jonathan Ross Show in 2016 and explained that, contrary to popular belief, he had not fled the UK to escape negative attention brought about from the show.[55]

19 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Mr David certainly doesn't look unhappy to be in the photograph despite his remarks about it ruining his career. 

In a 2015 interview with the Daily Mirror, David stated that he had no hard feelings towards Francis, explaining how he had seen him at a wedding and given him a hug, assuring him they were "cool". He further explained in the interview that it was his PR team who suggested that he "play hurt" by the caricature.[54] He reiterated this stance on The Jonathan Ross Show in 2016 and explained that, contrary to popular belief, he had not fled the UK to escape negative attention brought about from the show.[55]

There isn't, and has never been, much comedy that doesn't mock any section of society at all.  Someone, somewhere, will be the butt of the joke.

Your Jim Davidsons, Bernard Mannings etc are absolute relics. The fact that that stuff just isn't even funny anymore shows that things have simply moved on and there is no place for it anymore.

Bo Selecta did not go for Craig David from a racial angle.  It mocked that song, one of pretty much only two hits he had.  And, as you say, David wasn't the only one.

Never seen the Trisha stuff before. Hasn’t aged well though. The butt of the jokes - the accent, body, words used, food, etc - are about her being black. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lnWUwm90k

Matt Lucas has said he wouldn’t do a lot of the little Britain stuff now. Have people heard ‘I’m a lady’ used to ridicule trans people, or called Asian people ‘ting tong’ . Probably. 

Ive always thought comedy should have more freedom than other areas, especially when you consider satire, but I’ve never been able to put into words why. In the past ‘life of Brian’ was controversial and called blasphemous. I liked a lot of Ricky gervais stuff but found his last stand up hard to watch. Many say Alf garnet was ridiculing racist, but research has shown a lot who watch agreed with him. 
But where would that leave satire like Chris Morris? 

3 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

Never seen the Trisha stuff before. Hasn’t aged well though. The butt of the jokes - the accent, body, words used, food, etc - are about her being black. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lnWUwm90k

Matt Lucas has said he wouldn’t do a lot of the little Britain stuff now. Have people heard ‘I’m a lady’ used to ridicule trans people, or called Asian people ‘ting tong’ . Probably. 

Ive always thought comedy should have more freedom than other areas, especially when you consider satire, but I’ve never been able to put into words why. In the past ‘life of Brian’ was controversial and called blasphemous. I liked a lot of Ricky gervais stuff but found his last stand up hard to watch. Many say Alf garnet was ridiculing racist, but research has shown a lot who watch agreed with him. 
But where would that leave satire like Chris Morris? 

Vicky Pollard possibly offended "chavs."

Life of Brian is certainly offensive to the church, possibly organised religion of all kinds.  But, I have to say, I find it hilarious. What does that say about me? I'm not sure.  Possibly gives away my views on religion but does that matter?  There's plenty of pro religion stuff about for those interested.  I dont go telling anyone its wrong to have faith, just because I dont have the same.

I feel the same with comedy and I guess the best way to put it, for me, would be that simply would not be funny to its audience. Not everyone finds the same thing funny.

Not heard of chris Morris I dont think.

I'll have a look.

The answer certainly is not to ban potentially offensive comedy. Probably just don't go and watch live comedy without trigger warnings if you are overly sensitive to jokes about these things

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46541002

There are trans/non-binary/disabled comedians out there, some do the most extreme jokes about their situations, some offer a completely progressive comedy experience. I would personally not be interested in that, so i choose not to go and see them. I would hope that the people who are not interested in potentially offensive comedians would choose not to see them, instead of trying to ban or cancel them.

17 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

The answer certainly is not to ban potentially offensive comedy. Probably just don't go and watch live comedy without trigger warnings if you are overly sensitive to jokes about these things

There are trans/non-binary/disabled comedians out there, some do the most extreme jokes about their situations, some offer a completely progressive comedy experience. I would personally not be interested in that, so i choose not to go and see them. I would hope that the people who are not interested in potentially offensive comedians would choose not to see them, instead of trying to ban or cancel them.

Very good post Beagle.

Myself i have a sense of humour some won't get at all. I love Milton Jones who couldn't be more inoffensive, i have also seen Frankie Boyle live and winced at some of his jokes including really offensive ones about The Queen of all people. 

With comedy it is a fine line and people should realise it may offend, that sometimes is the whole point of it. 

You had the No voice guy i think it was who won Britains Got talent, now i don't follow that programme but he certainly pokes fun at himself in a big way when i have seen snippets. Does he offend disabled people i wonder ? 

The days of Jim Davidson and his Chalky jokes and Bernard Manning are long long gone, surely to goodness people are not still doing that type of comedy or maybe they are ?

With all the censorship now and pulling of numerous programmes i am waiting to see if the film White Chicks is also removed as the same applies to that film as with many already removed. 

56 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Vicky Pollard possibly offended "chavs."

Life of Brian is certainly offensive to the church, possibly organised religion of all kinds.  But, I have to say, I find it hilarious. What does that say about me? I'm not sure.  Possibly gives away my views on religion but does that matter?  There's plenty of pro religion stuff about for those interested.  I dont go telling anyone its wrong to have faith, just because I dont have the same.

I feel the same with comedy and I guess the best way to put it, for me, would be that simply would not be funny to its audience. Not everyone finds the same thing funny.

Not heard of chris Morris I dont think.

I'll have a look.

Chris Morris was very controversial when it came out. And it covered topics such as pedophilia. The important point was that it didn’t pick fun at victims, It punched up. I was at school when it was on so as with a lot of these, I may not have noticed some things. I suppose the problem with bo selecta (which didn’t receive any of the controversy Chris Morris brass eye did) is that it wasn’t an impression of Trisha. So who what is the target of the joke? 

47 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

What about comedy on the tv though? Do they have a responsibility not to show some things. They wouldn’t for example show Bernard manning anymore. 

there is also the woman on the last leg, and the girl in the malteasers advert. It been accepted that you pick fun at your own though I think? Do you punch up or down with comedy (or sideways?). 

Archived