Advert

Advert

Black Lives Matter

Joe B

Advert

5 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

But...but...the mobos! 

😂😂😂

Imagine how hard it is to be tarred with a brush that says your entire community is full of criminals, Abandoning fathers and drug dealers... and as you try and stimulate younger generations to focus on the arts and music to channel their message... that same community tarring you with that brush suddenly shout “NO, NOT LIKE THAT, YOU CANT HAVE YOUR OWN MUSIC AWARD SHOWS THATS WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE”

The MOBOs is for music of black origins not just by black artists. That's why Lady Gaga was nominated last year and countless other white and asian artists in previous years. Not sure what Darren's problem is with that? 

I saw a lot of people criticising Anthony Joshua for his comments today, labelling his plea for people to spend their money in black businesses as 'racist', often coupled with the line 'imagine if I said that about white businesses'.

What I think Joshua wanted to say, albeit in a clumsy fashion, is that rioting and looting was not the way forward; the best way to make sustainable, long-lasting change to black people in the UK is to support them financially, allow them to obtain property that can be passed down the generations, and to give families financial stability.

He's spot on, too; businesses run by ethnic minorities have, on average, less start-up capital, less existing business network connections, and less freedom to pursue the enterprises they desire. Certain ethnicities focus solely on certain industries, as that's the only industry they have connection/experience in. 

A final note from me; any white person who claims to 'not see race' and 'I just judge people on their character' is one, focusing entirely on individual, personal racism as opposed to systemic/socio-economic barriers, and two, has never actually asked a minority how they feel about the issue.

Ethnicity and race is a fundamental part of minorities life; as a majority, we don't need to conscious that we're white. To a black or asian person, it exists a lot, in terms of their identity, how they are perceived, and how they view the world.

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

A final note from me; any white person who claims to 'not see race' and 'I just judge people on their character' is one, focusing entirely on individual, personal racism as opposed to systemic/socio-economic barriers, and two, has never actually asked a minority how they feel about the issue.

Ethnicity and race is a fundamental part of minorities life; as a majority, we don't need to conscious that we're white. To a black or asian person, it exists a lot, in terms of their identity, how they are perceived, and how they view the world.

I agree with the last paragraph to some extent.

I am told I am white and therefore I have privilege but nobody wants to tell me what that privilege is.

I live with discrimination every day because of my race yet apparently I don't know what it is.

The solution I would suggest is to make everyone equal under the law.... sounds simple but is impossible to impliment. It would mean no more special groups, old boys network, complimentary tickets and a whole lot more inbetween...... it would also get rid of positive discrimination, which is also wrong in my opinion 

It wouldn't work of course because a lot of people seem to think they are more equal than others.

The incident in America isn't a single issue, in my opinion. A man died and the police totally abusing their power are two issues connected by the event.

6 hours ago, geosname said:

I am told I am white and therefore I have privilege but nobody wants to tell me what that privilege is.

How many times have you been stopped for a random search by the police?

How many times have you had to justify that you are not a peadophile? The vast majority of cases of peadophilia in this country are committed by white people. Yet it’s not known as a white crime. 

And yet we are perfectly happy to label drugs and knife crime as a black crime. Boom just like that it’s a brush they are all tatted with. This is an excellent clip from GMB where Akala discusses knife crime 

Your Privilege is that you are not instantly tarred with a negative brush.  

18 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Expect a pointless one line response that has no relevance. 

Lets give Geo the benefit of the doubt here... the whole point here is that it is really hard to understand how deep this issue runs and how its difficult to see from our bubbles. Arguing wont solve anything and wont educate.

Geo can either watch that clip and we can have a proper interesting discussion, or he may not ... Im 100% sure Geo has all the right feelings towards people of a BAME background. He isn't a racist and he believes in equality.

The next level of really digging into why young black boys feel the need to get into crime, and the levels of bias society puts on them is super complex.

Its the same as saying "Why dont people of hard working coal mining villages, with high levels of unemployment just be better".... Lets use Swansea as an example and its Steel industry... Drug use is rife, Heroin, theft, prostitution... All by white people but thats not the point.... Why dont they just stop it and go and get Jobs in the city of London, It would only take one generation, send their kids to good schools and then get them Investment Banking jobs, Marketing Jobs for big brands, Consulting jobs... they stuff where you can earn £200,000 a year before bonus.

Search "a Swansea love story" on youtube... BUT WARNING.. It has some awful awful scenes  of drug taking and isnt suitable for young viewers.

Why don't they just stop being downtrodden, get over it, don't break any laws and just be better.

Because its not that easy is it.

27 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

How many times have you been stopped for a random search by the police?

How many times have you had to justify that you are not a peadophile? The vast majority of cases of peadophilia in this country are committed by white people. Yet it’s not known as a white crime. 

And yet we are perfectly happy to label drugs and knife crime as a black crime. Boom just like that it’s a brush they are all tatted with. This is an excellent clip from GMB where Akala discusses knife crime 

Your Privilege is that you are not instantly tarred with a negative brush.  

More than enough. Not so much stop and search but stop and question.

Never, but no one should have to justify they are not. It should be classified as a crime.

Who is the "we" you talk about. I see the crime, the colour of the perpetrators skin is immaterial. Because some hierarchical ass or a newspaper label it doesn't make it so..... if I were to label knife crime I would lean more towards youth than black..... but even that wouldn't be accurate.

I’ve always said education or lack of it has been the main issue re discrimination.I’m convinced the very young kids of today  will be the torchbearers for change.Are they now teaching about racism and how bad it is in schools?If not why not?Having been brought up in the 50s and 60s I witnessed horrendous scenes in the USA and shockingly bad attitudes towards black people.I actually thought it was fear driven in Britain. A lot of our parents would have tried to guard their kids against the unknown. The amount of black people in Stoke was only a few and mainly lived in Cobridge..I didn’t and couldn’t see the problem personally and had a lot of mates who were black.

I met my son’s mum ,who is black, in 1975 and still ,although we are not together,we keep in touch.

Fast forward to now.The kids of today don’t give a s**t about colour,race,creed etc. My grandson(white) goes to cricket ,football,has sleepovers with his best mate who is black.

Unfortuneatly protests normally end in violence,as has been the case.Calm heads are needed .I’ll leave it to the kids.The Kids Are Alright.

Without black people we wouldn’t have The Blues.What a s**t world that would be .

Archived