onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sentinel: Tranmere proposal would put Port Vale and Crewe in expanded League Two play-offs

News Feed

Advert

I can see what he is trying to do.... but its madness to just play around with things until you get the answer you want. Its one mathematical approach vs another 

His main argument is if you took last season and did the PPG suggestion as the same point as we finished this year, 3 of the 4 teams who were relegated from league 1 would not have gone down. 

He is building in the fact that teams don't follow the same form throughout the season and has done the up and down margin of error. Only if you don't get caught in either scenario do you get auto promoted.... or relegated if you cant get safe in either scenario. Those that could get caught and those that could catch them go into an extended playoff.

Its mathematically quite fair and an elegant solution... but before anyone yells at me, I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD USE IT!

Leave it as it it.... If we are going to let maths decide, which I think we should, then the simplest version of that is the best.

Would his system correctly predict last seasons relegation spots? Is it actually more accurate that the current one? If so, then it should be switched as surely the most accurate system is the fairest?

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

And I just mean for relegation here, not for promotion (although an extended playoffs sounds lovely)

All his system would do is say that 3 teams last year shouldn't be relegated be relegated because based on the scenarios there were times when they wouldn't have been relegated. His model says you should only be relegated if in every scenario you cannot reach safety (Ie you gaining the extra points and your rivals not gaining any extra points).

Its a bit like those diagrams they do on a Saturday morning showing where every team could finish at the end of the day based on all the results. ie. By the end of today Vale could be as low at 11th but as high at 6th.

Only if you always finish in the relegation zone in every scenario do you go down.

What I'm saying is if he can create a more accurate prediction than the current suggestion of PPG then it makes sense to use that instead. 

But, that would need to be checked vs the last couple of seasons to see which comes out as more accurate. If it can have a higher accuracy then PPG then why not. Seems like a more fair way of doing things 

I used to like Mark Palios when he was at the FA, it was a shame when they threw him under the bus.

Now I've come to the conclusion he must be off his rocker.

So Tranmere would stay up, Wimbledon would go down, Vale get two draws and a defeat in the play offs but still end up getting promoted, while Crewe end up at Mornington Crescent. Have I got that right?

Archived