Just managed to catch up with the Carlisle review. Thought you were pretty much spot on with your assessments. I was more inclined to agree with Stu's assessment of the first half than Johnny and Bezza's to be honest, but it should have been obvious that the midfield was testing overrun, and things should have changed at half time. Having said that, as poor as we were, we should have been 2-0 up before they scored, and had we have taken those chances we would have won the game inspire of the poor managerial decisions.
Thought you were generous to both Legge and Pope. Two senior pros who.were abysmal.on Saturday.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Episode 7 is out now!   Bezza's played a blinder and managed to get Carol Shanahan, Port Vale Chairwoman to come on for an extended chat! We cover many topics including:   - How sh

Hi Doha, we've talked to at least two players from that time (Including Carl) about coming on. All about finding a good time to sit down with them and have a chat! We've got one booked in and I think

We've reviewed the Crawley game! Kudos to Bez for saying Crawley were poor, he was spot on! Was it a pen/red card for the Smith incident? Stu, Bezza and Jonny discuss the incidents and the game, befor

On 12/10/2020 at 00:33, The Hov said:

Another good couple of pods - cheers! Only Brown, Clark, Monty and Worrall and Crookes to an extent had OK games.

We played like when you turn on a match halfway through, think one team are struggling a bit and then realise that team has a man sent off and are playing with 10.

Yes I think that is fair on reflection. I too thought Monty had a decent game. But it was hard for anyone to come out with much credit from the 2nd half!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 04:33, Smallthorne Dog said:

Just managed to catch up with the Carlisle review. Thought you were pretty much spot on with your assessments. I was more inclined to agree with Stu's assessment of the first half than Johnny and Bezza's to be honest, but it should have been obvious that the midfield was testing overrun, and things should have changed at half time. Having said that, as poor as we were, we should have been 2-0 up before they scored, and had we have taken those chances we would have won the game inspire of the poor managerial decisions.
Thought you were generous to both Legge and Pope. Two senior pros who.were abysmal.on Saturday.

I didn't think Legge had a good game. 2nd time this season I've said that (Exeter). I think hopefully they'll switch back to what they know in 4-3-3 Saturday and we push on from there.

Unsure how Salford changing manager will affect the game. Although I don't believe Alexander was doing a good job, so it could possibly only be an improvement.

I thought you were all a bit more restrained than I expected in your criticism of the game (apart from the 3 for Theo). The formation was madness on reflection and some of the individual performances were terrible, especially in that second half where we should have been pushing to win or get ourselves back in the game. Maybe the lack of home crowd is a factor? 

I think the first half was ok, not great. We played to a level where should be able to push on at half time. But the penalty miss and I think the formation played a part. When you go a goal down, you can faith that the 4-3-3 has worked before when they've been losing, so they could get back into it. Did they have the same faith in the 4-4-2 system? Who knows, but I definitely think the formation was a big factor in why we lost. My 'go-to' would be that the players are to blame if they don't play well, but I think they were put in a tough situation on Saturday. 

I think the crowd is a factor at VP. I never felt like it is, but the fans can really get behind the players and I think they have an influence on refereeing decisions. Too many managers in recent years have cited it as a factor for it not to be.

The Salford Preview is up!

We first talk about 'Project Big Picture' and how it would have affected Vale. Then Dan Trickett-Smith's departure on loan and the new revenue stream at Vale Park. After that, it's a Salford preview. They are managerless but have plenty of quality. How do you think the game will go?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Just Jonny and Bez for a Cambridge review! A 3-1 defeat. Did you see good signs from the performance? Trevor Kettle was his usual self with some baffling decisions throughout the match as ever! Did Askey leave it late for subs? The lads stay honest but positive!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

11 hours ago, stupers said:

Just Jonny and Bez for a Cambridge review! A 3-1 defeat. Did you see good signs from the performance? Trevor Kettle was his usual self with some baffling decisions throughout the match as ever! Did Askey leave it late for subs? The lads stay honest but positive!

Spot on with the review, gents. I think some people on this forum should give it a listen because the overreaction has been pathetic.

I'm not one for over reaction and cant be doing with hysteria, but feel you are being overly kind in your assessments lads. I think it might be down to the Carol factor, and that nobody wants to be critical when we had such a feel good factor around the club in pre season. But for me serious questions are going to have to be asked if things don't improve quickly.

Yes we have got injuries, but a lot of has been made of our squad depth, and as such we should be in a position to cover those injuries, so its not really an excuse this season. 

too many players are under performing, and for a team with four (supposed) quality strikers we should be scoring a lot more goals than we are. Worrall's end product hasn't been good enough, from what I've seen so far Whitehead hasn't got the quality required. Burgess has got that quality but he isn't showing it for whatever reason. we don't look incisive enough and for all our hustle and bustle we aren't creating the chances we should be. 

The squad has been heavily invested in, and it was widely anticipated we would be a top 6 side this season. Currently we look a lower mid table team, and it needs sorting quickly.

Taking your point about the dark arts on board lads and rewatching their penalty I'm 100% convinced if Conlon spins around, holds his ankle and squeals when he makes contact with Hannat we would have been talking about a red card for Luke instead of a Cambridge penalty. That's what would other teams would have done.

5 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

I'm not one for over reaction and cant be doing with hysteria, but feel you are being overly kind in your assessments lads. I think it might be down to the Carol factor, and that nobody wants to be critical when we had such a feel good factor around the club in pre season. But for me serious questions are going to have to be asked if things don't improve quickly.

Yes we have got injuries, but a lot of has been made of our squad depth, and as such we should be in a position to cover those injuries, so its not really an excuse this season. 

too many players are under performing, and for a team with four (supposed) quality strikers we should be scoring a lot more goals than we are. Worrall's end product hasn't been good enough, from what I've seen so far Whitehead hasn't got the quality required. Burgess has got that quality but he isn't showing it for whatever reason. we don't look incisive enough and for all our hustle and bustle we aren't creating the chances we should be. 

The squad has been heavily invested in, and it was widely anticipated we would be a top 6 side this season. Currently we look a lower mid table team, and it needs sorting quickly.

I don't think that's the case if I'm honest. The Harrogate/Morecambe/Carlisle review pods are a clear indicator that we will be constructively critical where necessary, and sometimes overly harsh. Nowt to do with Carol, we have no affiliation with the club beyond being supporters. I tend to be more patient around things, the other two not so much as it turns out. Perhaps they toned it down as I wasn't there last night.

I don't think injuries are an excuse. Yep, got some players missing but the players are fit enough to win matches. Cambridge are doing well this season, I wasn't surprised we lost (I predicted 2-0 so I at least got the margin right).

I saw earlier that all the sides we've played so far are in the top half, of which 5 are in the top 7. I wouldn't have predicted that those teams would have done so well at the start of the season, so maybe we've played teams when they're on the up as opposed to where they'll eventually finish. We're not playing great at the moment, not enough chances created and by that I mean, the ball that goes to the player who creates the chance isn't good enough. I think that comes with confidence, and we don't have a lot of it right now.

I think we need a couple of games against teams not doing so well, build confidence back up and get back on track. I think we need to inject some pace in to the forward line and play fast. I do think the Carlisle game knocked us a lot. The switch to 4-4-2 was a mess, we should have stuck to our system. I'm confident we're a top 7 team as I was at the start of the season. Teams go through rough patches and come out better. The fact ours is early is a surprise, but the season is long and we can get back into it.

1 hour ago, Surrey Vale Fan 82 said:

Taking your point about the dark arts on board lads and rewatching their penalty I'm 100% convinced if Conlon spins around, holds his ankle and squeals when he makes contact with Hannat we would have been talking about a red card for Luke instead of a Cambridge penalty. That's what would other teams would have done.

Possibly true. We're not good at that. Askey has us playing hard but honest. It seems unlikely we have the players to change tack.

Thanks for listening by the way!

Still enjoying it lads, so keep up the good work. Might be an idea to mix it up a bit and have a "mystery" third person who might have a different take? Could get a bit "samey" otherwise.

Edited by toyahw

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Still enjoying it lads, so keep up the good work. Might be an idea to mix it up a bit and have a "mystery" third person who might have a different take? Could get a bit "samey" otherwise.

I think so too. I'll discuss it with the lads and see what we can do. Appreciate the feedback!

Hi Stu, I wasn't trying to suggest that you guys were not laying into the Cambridge performance because you'd had Carol on as a guest. More that the fans in general are giving Askey a bit more slack than they normally would because they don't want to be seen to be overly critical due to the massive effort Carol and her team have put in.
Given that huge effort from the owners I think we all deserve a bit better from the team than we are currently getting. It's not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely below expectations.

9 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Hi Stu, I wasn't trying to suggest that you guys were not laying into the Cambridge performance because you'd had Carol on as a guest. More that the fans in general are giving Askey a bit more slack than they normally would because they don't want to be seen to be overly critical due to the massive effort Carol and her team have put in.
Given that huge effort from the owners I think we all deserve a bit better from the team than we are currently getting. It's not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely below expectations.

I totally agree we should be getting more out of them. I think we're a playoff team and aren't playing like it currently. I'd like to get us to the end of October and see where we are after that. 10 games is usually a good marker as to how we're doing.