Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

9 hours ago, stupers said:

Oldham Review/Walsall Preview

Dreadful defending the theme as we lose to 2nd bottom Oldham with a performance that was not consistent with the rest of the season. Jonny and Stu go through the game, work out which players can come out with any credit and how we go forward from here. We also quickly preview the Walsall game on Tuesday with the Saddlers fans fired up for once to come to Vale Park!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Can’t argue with a lot of the player ratings. I can’t see a couple of those lads surviving for the Walsall game. Namely Martin and Rodney. 

For my sins I watched the extended highlights on the EFL site this morning. Gibbos spell in the second half makes me think that he plays like any of us would play like if we ever got the shirt, basically running through a brick wall for the team. The goals against are a horror show that were preventable.

You mentioned Gibbos contract, I’m not sure what anyone else thinks but can it really be resolved in January because I’m sure other clubs will be watching him currently. Which also ties in with Bezs fears that he’s previously voiced about Conlon come January too. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Advert:

On 20/11/2021 at 17:01, toyahw said:

Give it a rest with this teams out of position crap. After 16 games no one "is out of position".  Mansfield are poor. Are Oldham " out of position". Lazy excuse for us being  piss poor against poo teams.

I thought we were terrible that night. I also thought Mansfield were decent, and probably the best side we've played against this season.

On 21/11/2021 at 07:51, Vale1995 said:

Really not sure how you can criticise amoo yesterday ahahah really strange take. He was second best player on the pitch. And had a really good game playing upfront 

I'll pass it on to Jonny! I thought he was good myself.

Advert:

On 20/11/2021 at 23:28, PV1973 said:

Can’t argue with a lot of the player ratings. I can’t see a couple of those lads surviving for the Walsall game. Namely Martin and Rodney. 

For my sins I watched the extended highlights on the EFL site this morning. Gibbos spell in the second half makes me think that he plays like any of us would play like if we ever got the shirt, basically running through a brick wall for the team. The goals against are a horror show that were preventable.

You mentioned Gibbos contract, I’m not sure what anyone else thinks but can it really be resolved in January because I’m sure other clubs will be watching him currently. Which also ties in with Bezs fears that he’s previously voiced about Conlon come January too. 

It is tough with the contract situation. But if you want to keep him, there must be an offer we make now that would tie him down. I'm guessing he would become either the top, or one of the top earners.

22 minutes ago, stupers said:

I thought we were terrible that night. I also thought Mansfield were decent, and probably the best side we've played against this season.

To be fair, we were.  Never turned up, paid them far too much  respect and made them look good. Best team we've played I'd have down as Rochdale.

No doubt Gibbo is the best player we have on current form and needs signing up pronto. Great thing is Gibbo 2.0, post hammy, looks a significant upgrade. Rather than going backwards after that kind of injury. Which often happens. Touch wood.

One thing said on the pod was that he looks better on the left. But Gibbo 2.0 has hardly played RB/RWB. Probably he can just do both equally well. Which is a major asset.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, toyahw said:

To be fair, we were.  Never turned up, paid them far too much  respect and made them look good. Best team we've played I'd have down as Rochdale.

No doubt Gibbo is the best player we have on current form and needs signing up pronto. Great thing is Gibbo 2.0, post hammy, looks a significant upgrade. Rather than going backwards after that kind of injury. Which often happens. Touch wood.

One thing said on the pod was that he looks better on the left. But Gibbo 2.0 has hardly played RB/RWB. Probably he can just do both equally well. Which is a major asset.

That's fair, Rochdale were decent too. As I said on the pod, I'm not worried by anyone at this level. We gave Forest Green a good going over, and if they're the best team in the league then we've got every right to be up there too.

With Gibbo, totally agree on the RWB. Would be interested to see if there was any difference if Worrall/Gibbo switched for a game! He's an unbelievable player

• Like 1

Advert:

20 minutes ago, vale victory said:

Absolutely no one should be above a 4 maybe smith a 5 perhaps , who voted gibbo motm btw ????

Easily man of the match. Defended well one on one and at least he was showing passion and desire to try and make things happen for us down the right with his movement, link up play and runs. Granted not everything was coming off for him and he didn’t always get the ball back when he’d made a run, but you can’t fault what he was trying do. We can’t rely on one player trying to drag us through games because no one else was stepping up and showing the desire in wearing in the shirt, and that’s the first time I’ve thought that this season. 

Edited by PV1973

I thought that was one of Gibbo's worst performances for a long while. But he was one of the better ones, tells you something. Who else deserves above a 0? Cov, Smithy, Garrity and Amoo at a push. And maybe, just maybe, Rodders is worth a 1. At least we looked better (not hard) with him up top.

Edited by toyahw

4 hours ago, toyahw said:

I thought that was one of Gibbo's worst performances for a long while. But he was one of the better ones, tells you something. Who else deserves above a 0? Cov, Smithy, Garrity and Amoo at a push. And maybe, just maybe, Rodders is worth a 1. At least we looked better (not hard) with him up top.

No doubt it was. But it’s an impossible task when on the face of it only one player was looking to drive at the opposition, attempt any semblance of link up play or energy to get us going or to get at that them. Whilst every player was making mistakes the worst thing about the game was players looking like they were constantly on the back foot, like they were reacting to everything second best, not even attempting to get on the ball, not making the movements we’ve been used to this season or just waiting for someone else to do something. Hiding probably sums up some players performances actually. I’m in the Lorne st so seeing gibbos game close up on that side all night for a change made it (to me) more visible about what he was trying to do to drive the team. It didn’t always come off for him, but I think he tried to make it work which is more than I can say for most and we need everyone firing not just one trying to. Smith was in the same boat for me too but he’s a centre half and can’t have the same impact on a game. I’ll listen to the pod on the way to work later but it’ll be interesting to see if just those 2 get picked out as the only ones at least trying to make something happen. They should do for my money. 

Edited by PV1973

Easily man of the match. Defended well one on one and at least he was showing passion and desire to try and make things happen for us down the right with his movement, link up play and runs. Granted not everything was coming off for him and he didn’t always get the ball back when he’d made a run, but you can’t fault what he was trying do. We can’t rely on one player trying to drag us through games because no one else was stepping up and showing the desire in wearing in the shirt, and that’s the first time I’ve thought that this season. 

That was as bad as I’ve seen gibbo play ever
Kept giving the ball away time after time
Can’t fault his effort but he had zero quality last night I’m afraid
  • Like 1

Advert:

Good honest Pod lads... Personally I think Bez went a little too far when he used the phrase "I don't like the lad" when talking about Garrity. But I think/hope that was a slip of the tongue and was meant to be a reference to his technical footballing ability rather than a view on the an himself. I may have also misheard so apologies if that's what's happened,

The pod also raises a very interesting view of Sproson... personally I think he is conflicted and shouldn't be used on Radio Stoke to further his own business and self serving interests.

Thankfully Flickers and DC are weening Port Vale off his toxic bosom.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Good honest Pod lads... Personally I think Bez went a little too far when he used the phrase "I don't like the lad" when talking about Garrity. But I think/hope that was a slip of the tongue and was meant to be a reference to his technical footballing ability rather than a view on the an himself. I may have also misheard so apologies if that's what's happened,

"don't like the bloke", not lad. But I'm sure Bez means he doesn't like him as a player as there is no reason to dislike him as a person. Poorly phrased.