onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

Northampton Preview available!

We're joined by sponsor Tom (Home Choose Carpets!) to talk through the weeks news, with season ticket numbers, Carol and the SVA initiative on the menu. We do some side bets between ourselves on how we think Vale will do this season, offer our acca of the week before going into the Northampton preview. Plenty of churn at Sixfields since they were relegated from L1, will they get a quick bounce or can Vale get an early win, 17 years unbeaten on opening day!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

17 minutes ago, stupers said:

Northampton Preview available!

We're joined by sponsor Tom (Home Choose Carpets!) to talk through the weeks news, with season ticket numbers, Carol and the SVA initiative on the menu. We do some side bets between ourselves on how we think Vale will do this season, offer our acca of the week before going into the Northampton preview. Plenty of churn at Sixfields since they were relegated from L1, will they get a quick bounce or can Vale get an early win, 17 years unbeaten on opening day!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

The season has officially started now!

On 24/07/2021 at 01:42, stupers said:

We're back with our way too early League 2 Preview Extravaganza!!!!!!

We're joined by Daily Star reporter and avid Valiant Alex Wood to look at the weeks news, including Tom Pope staying local, a new kit and interesting interviews with David Flitcroft and Darrell Clarke.

Then we try to go around League Two in 48 minutes (ish - More like 66!) We've doing our 1-24 predictions, combined them and count down from our predicted 24th place team all the way down to our champions! Including some players to watch, manager ratings and our 'surprise packages'! Alex's national football knowledge certainly helps!

To join in the comp, simply send us your top 7 (in order) and your bottom 2 (in order) predictions for League 2 this season either on here, Twitter or Facebook. Scoring works as follows, if you get the team's predicted league finish spot on, you get 0 points, if you are 3 places out, you get 3 penalty points. The person with the lowest penalty points wins! We'll keep track over the season!

1. Mansfield

2. Bradford

3. Newport

4. Port Vale

5. Forest Green

6. Salford

7. Leyton Orient

23. Scunthorpe

24. Hartlepool

Northampton Review!

A disappointing afternoon at Sixfields as we fall 1-0 on the opening day and lose our 16-year opening day record. We quickly recap the game and Jonny gives his ratings (be prepared!). That hit some main talking points that arose from the game. Let us know what you think of the new format!

Enjoyed the return to proper episodes. Great to hear Jonno back to form knocking points off players for not getting the ball quickly enough for a free kick or for not having their hair style combed correctly or whatever it was that upset him over Conlon. I couldnt make my mind up what he meant about Wilson, wants him to do more running but then thinks he shouldnt do so much work outside the box. I also thought Smith was better than what jonno rated him, he was positionally than Johnson yesterday IMO, Johnson was too narrow when the ball went behind Jones, he needed to come wider quicker and that side was a bigger problem than down the worrall/smith side. Was smith knocked off points for something that wasn’t given as a foul when they scored? 

I agree with the comment above about doing just key points of the game and I also liked you getting into the big talking points early doors like you did with worrall and Wilson. 

The Worrall debate is a good one, I get that he isn’t as good a defender as Gibbo but I agree with @stupers that despite yesterdays performance he played well for us in that role last season. The problem with wingbacks is that if you put Gibbo there that you probably won’t get the same quality as worrall when he is higher up the pitch because he isn’t a natural winger. But he will add energy, drive and be better defensively. I think the only way in a wingback system to get worrall further forward is go 3-4-3, which then presents an issue of who does he choose for the 2 central midfield roles out of Conlon, pett and Walker. But I’m convinced that this seasons recruitment policy has been based on us playing wing backs and those will be a choice between worrall, Gibbo, Benning and Jones. 

Edited by PV1973

All opinions. Thought your Smith/Worrall bashing was way off. All our rubbish defending was down our left. Where Jonson had a 'mare and poor old Jones didn't know what to do,  his job or cover Johnson's balls ups. Three times we screwed up there in the first half. Could have been three, luckily they only scored one.

So I agree with Baggers, Smith was the best of the three.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the positive comments on the new format. We all said we enjoyed it more than talking through each incident in the game. We'll see how it goes, but so far so good.

I too was surprised with the Smith knocking from Jonny. Although he was daft for their goal (easily a penalty if they hadn't scored) I didn't think he was awful, and certainly no worse than Johnson the other side. With Wilson, I didn't think he was awful, but just didn't get involved enough although it's possible the setup was to play over the top to Rodney to run on to rather than in to Wilson's feet. When he did get on the ball, Wilson had some nice touches. Like toyahw says, all opinions. 

It'll certainly be interesting to see what side we put out tonight. I'd like to see Benning play. Does that move Jones inside to play CB instead of Johnson. Maybe Cass gets a run out? I'm not a big fan of these early cup games, and I always hope we treat them as an extra friendly-plus to try a couple of other things out before we head back to league action. 

• Like 3

Some good talking points on the latest review, in particular the wing back debate. I always remember Benning as a left back when he’s played against us, yet Johnny thought he wasn’t a full back. Bez was hinting at something else going on with Jake Taylor, from what I’ve seen he (along with Gibbo) are doing extra sessions to build up their fitness in addition to the regular training sessions with the rest of the squad. Looking forward to getting them both back to give us some different options. 

Edited by PV1973