onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

I have a feeling Bristol Rovers might find it a bit more difficult than some are predicting, particularly early on in the season. Not saying they won’t be decent, just that nothing is ever straightforward in this league, particularly for a team that’s just come down. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Santa said:

I have a feeling Bristol Rovers might find it a bit more difficult than some are predicting, particularly early on in the season. Not saying they won’t be decent, just that nothing is ever straightforward in this league, particularly for a team that’s just come down. 

I think that’s fair. Certainly from my perspective, I really like Barton as a manager and he should right the ship quickly. I expect them to be a bit like Bolton, without the big early season disaster. 

18 hours ago, stupers said:

I think that’s fair. Certainly from my perspective, I really like Barton as a manager and he should right the ship quickly. I expect them to be a bit like Bolton, without the big early season disaster. 

Taking Barton on is always going to be a gamble and it looks like it could have backfired already. The bloke can’t help but get into trouble. 

23 hours ago, stupers said:

I didn’t mention the Barton factor as it was so self evident it wasn’t worth mentioning but it obviously cuts both ways with him being, let’s say ‘complex’.

Nope, that has backfired on us quickly! I can't see how the club can keep him on, if found guilty. I'm sure Bristol Rovers would claim to be a family club, so probably can't tolerate this.

Yep for sure Barton is a gamble. My thoughts on him are that he's (excluding the current situation) probably made every mistake you could ever make as a footballer, and yet still managed to have a good career because of his commitment and his attitude at the training ground and on the pitch. Dyche always talked highly of him as a player and a person when he was at Burnley. High praise in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Frank Mustard said:

I'd love to know where the goals are going to come from to finish fourth or fifth??

I think Rodney will push on this season. He showed enough potential in a struggling side to show that if he can build on his raw potential then he can grab goals and assist others.

Also, I think James Wilson is a good footballer and it's time for him to get settled somewhere and bang them in. I do think we look light if one of those gets injured however.

They should be well served from Conlon, Pett, Worrall etc. I don't we'll be scoring for fun, but if we can stop them going in the other end, we've got a good chance of finishing in the playoffs. Why not? 

Really enjoyed the latest podcast - keep up the good work lads!

I'm maybe a bit more pessimistic, I think we'll finish between 11th and 14th.

I'm just not sure where the creativity is going to come from.

I can see us being workmanlike, solid and hard to beat, but our Achilles heel will be breaking down teams that put 10 men behind the ball.

I think we lack a JMW type wide player that can create something from nothing personally. But I'd like to think we won't be anywhere near a relegation battle though at any point!

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

We feel well set up in defence and central midfield, and have gambles in goal and up top.

If Covolan and Wilson deliver, we'll be a very strong outfit. 

Pretty much my thoughts as well Joe. Playing 3 at the back will suit us and Vale Park. 

No team in this league is going in to the season 100% sure about every position, I don't think Vale are too far behind the leaders. We just need a few things to go our way. I think we're due a bit of good fortune!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Really enjoyed the latest podcast - keep up the good work lads!

I'm maybe a bit more pessimistic, I think we'll finish between 11th and 14th.

I'm just not sure where the creativity is going to come from.

I can see us being workmanlike, solid and hard to beat, but our Achilles heel will be breaking down teams that put 10 men behind the ball.

I think we lack a JMW type wide player that can create something from nothing personally. But I'd like to think we won't be anywhere near a relegation battle though at any point!

Cheers mate!

I think that's a fair assumption too. Lots of players you are know are going to put a shift in, which has obviously been top of the matrix this summer in terms of requirements. We need either one player to just completely break out and play way above what we've seen before, or everyone to play 15-20% above what we've previously seen. Both of those are possible, but it's also fair to say that this won't happen.

I agree I can't see us playing near the bottom. When we did the pod, we went pretty deep into what the other teams have done and where they are. I feel confident we won't be in a mess come the end of the season. I feel like I think that every year though!

• Like 1