7 hours ago, maccapvfc said:

With the Bruno era I think we could all see from the start of the season that it was going to eventually come crashing down at some point. We picked up results but I’m not sure how, as we were truly awful in most games and getting overran on most occasions. I imagine scouting us for the start of the season would also have played a part - as we were a pure unknown.

I'm with you. I've said pretty much from the start of the pod, that I had a bad feeling after the Bradford game. I remember us playing well at home to Scunthorpe, and then I don't remember a whole lot of good after that. Between beating MK Dons at the start of October, we won once between then and the end of December. And it wasn't like we were playing well and losing either! My thought has always been that given the run we were on, relegation was a formality under Bruno by the time we left. I'm not saying Brown did a good job, but he got us closer to staying up than Bruno would, in my opinion. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Doha, we've talked to at least two players from that time (Including Carl) about coming on. All about finding a good time to sit down with them and have a chat! We've got one booked in and I think

Episode 7 is out now!   Bezza's played a blinder and managed to get Carol Shanahan, Port Vale Chairwoman to come on for an extended chat! We cover many topics including:   - How sh

We've reviewed the Crawley game! Kudos to Bez for saying Crawley were poor, he was spot on! Was it a pen/red card for the Smith incident? Stu, Bezza and Jonny discuss the incidents and the game, befor

8 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

As well as delving deeper into the Aspin era and the unprofessionalism quoted by Askey at the time he took over, other interesting topics from the past would be...

Sinnott ... Was he deliberately undermined by Glover, was he given enough time? Or was he just out of his depth.

Similarly Bruno.... Why the sudden drop off after a promising start? Was Brown involved in that to further his own opportunities.

Page, Norman and Exeter in the cup. Was he really going to get sacked live on TV? Norman addressing fans on the coach after the game etc. Should Smurf have been sectioned for his own wellbeing?

Billy Bell's biscuit tin. Dodgy attendances at Vale park, and the mystery of the Dave Brammer sale.

Some interesting topics Rob. As part of the plan for the season, we're looking to do maybe a guest interview once a month. Some of the names we have in mind would be able to help us out a bit with some of the questions you have there.

• Like 1

Just watched the underthecosh interview with Carl Dickinson. Changed my opinion on Dan Jones a little. If you guys could get some more players from that era on, like Doddsy was, that'd be brilliant.

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1

Hi Doha, we've talked to at least two players from that time (Including Carl) about coming on. All about finding a good time to sit down with them and have a chat! We've got one booked in and I think that will release in the next few weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plenty of ex-players to go for Stupers if you can get them. I'd love to hear how Simon Simon Mills ended up as a drayman, and how he felt about the "no hair" chant. When he had plenty of hair. Just not necessarily in the right places.

Keep up the good work. It is nice to see that your efforts are being appreciated.

Now, if you could find Keith Ryder - that would be a blockbuster.

29 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Plenty of ex-players to go for Stupers if you can get them. I'd love to hear how Simon Simon Mills ended up as a drayman, and how he felt about the "no hair" chant. When he had plenty of hair. Just not necessarily in the right places.

Keep up the good work. It is nice to see that your efforts are being appreciated.

Now, if you could find Keith Ryder - that would be a blockbuster.

I'd like to be in a room with him for a Keith Ryder one, perhaps a live podcast with an audience and no escape! I'm interested in the business side of things, so we weigh that up with the other two who want a bit more of the playing side looked at. Simon Mills! Just before/about the time I started going. Bradley Sandeman replaced him for the 92/93 season didn't he? 

We really appreciate the nice words. I don't think we'd have kept at it if people were telling us it was rubbish, so to basically just getting good feedback is giving us a nice, warm glow. I keep an eye on the listening numbers, and to be fair it turns out people will listen to anything we put out! Turns out even Talksport have found us, as Jonny was on there talking about the kit with Hawksby & Jacobs earlier! 

If people want things, we'll do our best to get it done. We're having a scheduling catchup this week to try and plan ahead for a bit. I'll put your ideas in, I can't promise Keith Ryder though. Would Perry Deakin do instead?!

He was, replaced by Andy Hill when we really got good, but still a good player.

Me and the lads have just been having a chat about an upcoming pod idea that we've got. I feel sad for Jonny, he started watching in the LDV season. A couple of seasons apart, it's been a pretty bad 20 years!

Last bit of arse licking mate before I start slagging your podcast off. I think the fact that it is well done, and not ranting stuff, you will have much more chance of getting people on. I initially thought you would soon run out of material. But thinking about it, nah. Plenty to go at.

• Like 2

Another good topic to try and get the inside story on, would be the whole Paul Wildes episode. Him and Norman seemed such an odd couple, how did it come about, what was the relationship dynamic, where did it all go wrong, and was Wildes departure the beginning of Norma's descent into madness?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Similarly Bruno.... Why the sudden drop off after a promising start? Was Brown involved in that to further his own opportunities.

At the time I was hearing credible stories that Brown was kept on by smurf for continuity from the Page era. But Brown as a decision maker was ostracised by Bruno and his assistants and so he had no real say in team affairs. I also heard that Brown was the go to man for the players when the coaching methods and tactics started to be questioned and that Brown was then feeding the dressing issues back to the chairman. 

12 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Not a good time to become a Vale fan emoji1.png. I was lucky enough to start going in the early 80's so got all the glory years in my teens and early 20's.

you should have been around in the 50s 60s great times were had home and away

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 15:05, toyahw said:

Last bit of arse licking mate before I start slagging your podcast off. I think the fact that it is well done, and not ranting stuff, you will have much more chance of getting people on. I initially thought you would soon run out of material. But thinking about it, nah. Plenty to go at.

Well the issue with some media is that they purposely look to create conflict within the studio in order to make it 'entertaining'. We're definitely not going to do that. I won't say which of the three each one is, but one of us is more likely to have knee-jerk reactions, one is very level-headed and one errs on the side of patience (Perhaps for too long). So naturally, we're going to have some disagreements. The fact we've known each other 10+ years and respect that each other has a different but valid viewpoint will hopefully show across, even when the games start!

I too thought we would run out of things to talk about during this time. But having guests on, and things happening externally in football help to fill the void. Desperately looking forward to some actual football to talk about though. 1 month today!

On 11/08/2020 at 08:28, PV1973 said:

At the time I was hearing credible stories that Brown was kept on by smurf for continuity from the Page era. But Brown as a decision maker was ostracised by Bruno and his assistants and so he had no real say in team affairs. I also heard that Brown was the go to man for the players when the coaching methods and tactics started to be questioned and that Brown was then feeding the dressing issues back to the chairman. 

i liked brown, he had good  contacts and given time, would have bought some good players to the club. what i didnt like was the constant bickering with the linesmen and line ref. after all he was a great professional and competitive player. im suprised some team hanst picked him up, and given him a chance, as for bruno and company, the mind boggles! at least it came good with askey,

15 hours ago, geoff1 said:

im suprised some team hanst picked him up, and given him a chance

34 games, 6 wins, 19 losses, 1 relegation, clubs records for poor performance, 17th in League One to bottom of League Two.

I'd have thought it would have been nothing short of miraculous if Michael Brown ever got given a management job at a professional football club.

Bruno Ribeiro is ten times the manager Brown was, and he's awful!

5 hours ago, Wrex said:

34 games, 6 wins, 19 losses, 1 relegation, clubs records for poor performance, 17th in League One to bottom of League Two.

I'd have thought it would have been nothing short of miraculous if Michael Brown ever got given a management job at a professional football club.

Bruno Ribeiro is ten times the manager Brown was, and he's awful!

fair dos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1