onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

Our preview for Carlisle is up!

We help Bezza through the difficult decision to let Manny Oyeleke depart for Chesterfield, tears and laughter and debate! We then talk about Hurst's new deal before getting in to the Carlisle preview. They're on a 5-match unbeaten run, but can we bag 7 wins in a row? We also clear up a confusing moment for a listener with one of our sponsors!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

On 13/04/2021 at 16:04, stupers said:

Our interview with Super Jon McCarthy is out!

It was truly amazing to spend some time with Vale's record signing Jon McCarthy who gave up his evening to go through some great memories. His unusual route in to professional football and how he ended up at Vale were the starting points. Then his time at Vale which included an amazing cup run, and a promotion charge that almost ended up with Vale in the Premier League!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated! The sound quality isn't great for 20 mins but we do get it fixed!

Enjoyed the Super John pod. An intelligent guy and a modest one who actually, got the most out of his career.

Seems to enjoy his current role and was interesting to hear about his reluctance to come on!

I sat with John and his wife at a friends wedding and tried not to talk to much about the Vale.

To coin a phrase, Top Man!

Well done Ale and the Vale for another experience.

• Like 1

Another good one. It wouldnt surprise me if the first names on the team sheet  were players with the mentality of a smith or a Legge, players who will give their all for the side.I think Clarke likes that side of the game. Jonny spoke some sense on Gibbo too, he’s going to take a few games to get going given his stop start season and the same applies for any of the players coming back in from injury. Loved the McCarthey interview too, great to relive those memories from a players perspective. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Carlisle Review/Barrow Preview

One for the purists as Vale's 6-game winning streak is brought to an end with a goalless draw at Brunton Park. Not much to take from the game with few decent chances for either side, but saw the return to the bench for McKirdy and Pope! 

We then tackle the Barrow game, with Clarke saying he's going to rotate, who comes in to the lineup to prove themselves in the last 4 games? Barrow lost to Leyton Orient, but were unbeaten in the previous 4. Can Vale win on the peninsula with a few changes?

Good listen again with the Carlisle review. Surprised to hear Monty get a 6 and only a 5 for Rodney Robinson and Gibbo and even smith scoring the same as Monty too with a 6.

Totally agree that first half our formation didn’t work and we couldn’t get going throughout the team. It looked like a new formation that we hadn’t had much time to work on. However I felt we looked much better second half when Monty went off and the formation was changed, in fact I thought our only threat was coming from Gibbo and Rodney in that second half, much more so than the combination of worrall and Amoo provided on the other side. If Gibbo was marked down for giving the ball away that lead to them getting a decent cross in first half then that’s harsh. Does that end up totally negating the couple of crosses he got in himself second half, the couple of half chances he created for us with those, the areas he found himself in at the back post and the fact he was part of a solid defensive display?

As for Rodney we also looked a lot weaker once he went off and that handed the initiative to them towards the end of the game as we had no strength or pace on the pitch. He looked the only player capable of beating a man today. His link up play with Gibbo in the second half was a lot better as well. I thought it looked a good combination at times. 

Robinson a 5 too, I thought he had a decent game, ran the channels, held it up  well and maybe had our only shot on target too. Again him going off for Cullen weakened us and their centre halves had a much easier last part of the game. 

I certainly struggle to see what Monty offered us or did today to score higher than those 3.

Smith scored the same as Monty as a 6, smith was solid defensively and even created himself a half decent chance too.

Some harsh marking IMO and maybe too much focus on what a player does wrong in a game rather than an equal focus on a the good things they offered too. To my way of thinking a 5 out of 10 is indicative of really bad individual performance of Mills-esque proportions with players offering very little, being out of position and generally looking out of their depth. 

Edited by PV1973

Bradford Preview!

We have a quick chat on the weeks news! Season ticket offers, Conlon, clean sheets all on the menu. Then the Bradford preview, they were going well but they've lost their last 3. We're all going for another clean sheet, but how many will we score?!

4 hours ago, dishydave said:

What did you think of clarkey when you spoke to him because I had a chat with him last week and found quite easy to talk to although I will say this Mrs. B. Won't like him he does a lot of F'in & Geofin

Just seen Mrs B on the pod recording! Didn't stay long enough to be interviewed!

On 17/04/2021 at 11:42, PV1973 said:

Good listen again with the Carlisle review. Surprised to hear Monty get a 6 and only a 5 for Rodney Robinson and Gibbo and even smith scoring the same as Monty too with a 6.

Totally agree that first half our formation didn’t work and we couldn’t get going throughout the team. It looked like a new formation that we hadn’t had much time to work on. However I felt we looked much better second half when Monty went off and the formation was changed, in fact I thought our only threat was coming from Gibbo and Rodney in that second half, much more so than the combination of worrall and Amoo provided on the other side. If Gibbo was marked down for giving the ball away that lead to them getting a decent cross in first half then that’s harsh. Does that end up totally negating the couple of crosses he got in himself second half, the couple of half chances he created for us with those, the areas he found himself in at the back post and the fact he was part of a solid defensive display?

As for Rodney we also looked a lot weaker once he went off and that handed the initiative to them towards the end of the game as we had no strength or pace on the pitch. He looked the only player capable of beating a man today. His link up play with Gibbo in the second half was a lot better as well. I thought it looked a good combination at times. 

Robinson a 5 too, I thought he had a decent game, ran the channels, held it up  well and maybe had our only shot on target too. Again him going off for Cullen weakened us and their centre halves had a much easier last part of the game. 

I certainly struggle to see what Monty offered us or did today to score higher than those 3.

Smith scored the same as Monty as a 6, smith was solid defensively and even created himself a half decent chance too.

Some harsh marking IMO and maybe too much focus on what a player does wrong in a game rather than an equal focus on a the good things they offered too. To my way of thinking a 5 out of 10 is indicative of really bad individual performance of Mills-esque proportions with players offering very little, being out of position and generally looking out of their depth. 

I think we've been more positive today!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stupers said:

I think we've been more positive today!

For that first 20 mins as I was watching the game I thought that it was very similar to last week at Carlisle in that our formation (mainly the wing backs) were getting overloaded at times and Bradford were playing in the space behind them. Clearly when worrall or Gibbo had the ball in the opposition half then the opposite wing back must have been told to push high, but when the ball broke down they hit that space theyd left behind them. But after their goal I felt the tide turned in our favour and both Worrall and Gibbo grew into the game a lot more. Both were defensively good and both were good on the ball. Any threat they'd posed in that first 20 was gone, so credit to both of them and in particular worrall who has shown his versatility by looking decent defensively. 

I felt gibbos only difference to last week is that he didn’t fluff a clearance down the line which gifted them a cross in to the box, which suits your narrative of him being responsible for giving goals away through conceding possession  (I’m still not completely convinced by that claim) and I think that influenced Jonnys bad score for him. Equally up the other end of the pitch I thought that Robinson worked his balls off just as much as last week, held it up well again, was a handful for their centre halves and I thought his only difference to last week was that he got a well deserved goal.

I disagreed a touch with I think Bezs assessment of joyce, in that first 20 when Bradford were using the channels well, I felt that joyce was the one who should have been sitting deeper when the wing backs pushed on. But no doubt other that opening spell he had a great game. 

I’m convinced though that next season we will line up with 4 at the back, I can’t shake the feeling that we only went 5 at the back to shore things up. There’s no denying either that wing back does not get the best out of Monty, worrall or Gibbo attacking wise. 

One observation in this episode that’s stood out to me was the mention of robinsons workrate. I think that’s been evident across the whole team and we’ve gone back to that pressing game, with multiple players closing down and working hard for each other. But that workrate begins with the forwards, once they set the press and the tempo then I think that sets the whole team on the way. In fact I’d say that once we got back into the game I never thought we’d lose it. 

Another enjoyable episode anyway.

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Thanks, it's just enjoyable to get back to talking about winning and trying to be positive. Can't disagree with what you're saying above. There is evidence for judging the Bradford game in many ways. As I said on the pod, we had gone too long without giving away a clear cut chance, and Bradford took it. 

I see what you're saying about 5 or 4 at the back, but I really don't like the idea of us playing 4-4-2 next year with Clarke saying he prefers two up top. And that's essentially what we're committing to in one form or another. With teams coming to Vale Park and it being a big pitch (And Clarke saying he may expand the pitch), I think it would be a mistake to commit to 2 central midfielders when most teams will come and play 3 in midfield. I like the idea of Gibbons and Monty at wingbacks, but I agree Worrall would be out of shape there. I still think 4-3-3 should be considered, with Rodney and Worrall on either wing and a new striker up top. 

• Like 2