Episode 11 is out now!

The latest news from Vale Park as the new season is less than 6 weeks away and the players return to training! We discuss what Vale Park might be like for fans after Colin Garlick spoke this week, Askey making sure the players know what is expected of them and our final opponents for 2020/21 are confirmed.

Then we get stuck in to the 2nd part of our squad review, this week looking at the midfielders, wingers and strikers with contributions from fans as well! I think we mentioned everyone who replied on here!

Please subscribe and pass on to your friends!

If you have any thoughts on the items we discuss, please reply to us on here and we're happy to debate!

Available as ever on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (And some other platforms as well!). Also you can listen on the Podbean app or on the website at https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Doha, we've talked to at least two players from that time (Including Carl) about coming on. All about finding a good time to sit down with them and have a chat! We've got one booked in and I think

Episode 7 is out now!   Bezza's played a blinder and managed to get Carol Shanahan, Port Vale Chairwoman to come on for an extended chat! We cover many topics including:   - How sh

We've reviewed the Crawley game! Kudos to Bez for saying Crawley were poor, he was spot on! Was it a pen/red card for the Smith incident? Stu, Bezza and Jonny discuss the incidents and the game, befor

Another great Pod lads, enjoyed that.
You lot obviously see something in Amoo that I don't. Maybe I've just missed his good games . I think he flatters to deceive and while I take your point that if he was consistent he wouldn't be in league 2, I would still expect a bit more from him than we are getting. One good game in every 3 or 4 isn't good enough in my honest opinion. Give me Jeno over him anyday of the week.

Talk of Adam Le Fondre at the end there, if Vale are going to splash some big money on a "name" at this level, why not go after Brett Pitman. He's still got a couple of years left, always scores goals wherever he has been and unless the wage demands are ridiculously high, you are pretty much investing in a guaranteed return.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Another great Pod lads, enjoyed that.
You lot obviously see something in Amoo that I don't. Maybe I've just missed his good games emoji4.png. I think he flatters to deceive and while I take your point that if he was consistent he wouldn't be in league 2, I would still expect a bit more from him than we are getting. One good game in every 3 or 4 isn't good enough in my honest opinion. Give me Jeno over him anyday of the week.

Talk of Adam Le Fondre at the end there, if Vale are going to splash some big money on a "name" at this level, why not go after Brett Pitman. He's still got a couple of years left, always scores goals wherever he has been and unless the wage demands are ridiculously high, you are pretty much investing in a guaranteed return.

Jeno is one of my favourite players from the last decade Rob. The production out of him was superb, and I felt he was unfairly treated for someone who did such a good job for us. I've seen production from Amoo, but perhaps not as consistently as Jeno. I think Amoo can get there though, although I think Browne and perhaps Rodney will put him under pressure for a spot this season. Let's see how he copes with increased competition.

As for the strikers, it'll be interesting to see what Vale do there. I think they've gone quite far down the line of making the point that we're interested in a striker, for it to be some kind of Jordan Archer hit or miss prospect. So i think given we haven't made a 'big splash' signing I think we could be doing that with the striker. I like the idea of Pitman for sure, always looked a quality player. But he's never played north of Bristol, so would he make the move to us? I hope he'd be interested! Quite what that means for Pope/Cullen if such a signing was made I have no idea. It would certainly be a tough call for Askey to pick one!

I can't imagine it's gone down well with anyone at the club Rob. I don't think he's guaranteed a starting spot in the lineup, and 6 matches is time for someone to get hold of the starting position and take it away for good. 

Loving the podcast guys, esp the ex player ones, real eye opener of what goes on behind the scenes, dodds one was especially eye opening, I found myself laughing out loud with some of the shananigans. Keep up the great work

• Like 1

I really love the podcast, thank you. It is very well done. I'd love to know what the funny business going on behind the scenes under Aspin was, All very strange.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

I think Miller and Hannant were probably at the centre of it.te

Probably. But Aspin's heart never seemed to be in it either. Not dirt digging here, just curious. Would be great if the lads could bring Aspin in. And Smurthwaite...

Keep up the good work stupers.

Edited by toyahw

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

I really love the podcast, thank you. It is very well done. I'd love to know what the funny business going on behind the scenes under Aspin was, All very strange.

Yeah there is a story to tell there for sure. Don't think we'll ever truly hear it though.

• Like 1

New to these podcasts. Really enjoying them. Nice to see a measured discussion about the current squad players without the knee jerk reaction or criticisms you see sometimes on here and definitely see on social media.

The  Dodds episode is excellent, I love hearing what goes on at a football club. I hear stories now from people in the club and being interested in football I find it fascinating because it’s a whole different world to a normal workplace. If only fans knew what goes on because it’s a lot different than maybe they think. Really interesting stuff. 

Edited by PV1973

On 05/08/2020 at 13:58, toyahw said:

Probably. But Aspin's heart never seemed to be in it either. Not dirt digging here, just curious. Would be great if the lads could bring Aspin in. And Smurthwaite...

Keep up the good work stupers.

On the pod, I said I heard that Aspin was hardly ever there, and it wasn't disputed by Doddsy. We had a chat about how we could delve deeper in to that period and who with, so hopefully we find a way. I certainly would find it interesting too, it was a bizarre time.

Thanks for the good wishes, and I'll pass that on to the other two.

On 06/08/2020 at 09:15, PV1973 said:

New to these podcasts. Really enjoying them. Nice to see a measured discussion about the current squad players without the knee jerk reaction or criticisms you see sometimes on here and definitely see on social media.

The  Dodds episode is excellent, I love hearing what goes on at a football club. I hear stories now from people in the club and being interested in football I find it fascinating because it’s a whole different world to a normal workplace. If only fans knew what goes on because it’s a lot different than maybe they think. Really interesting stuff. 

Thanks for saying you're enjoying them, it does mean a lot! 

We're hopefully having another player on from that era in a few weeks. Not sure if we'll all stay measured when the games start, but we'll see! 

Episode 12 is out now!

Stu, Bez and Jonny are back with the latest news from Vale Park. The new kit is a hot topic, we look at how salary caps affect the Vale and we discuss our new signing, Danny Whitehead. Then it's in to a season review of 2019/2020. We look at August to November this week. A quick pick of significant games in each month, and a run through of progress made.

I know people on here had talked about a theme. We gave one a go this week so let me know what you think! We've got at least one more to try out.

Please subscribe and pass on to your friends!

If you have any thoughts on the items we discuss, please reply to us on here and we're happy to debate!

Available as ever on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (And some other platforms as well!). Also you can listen on the Podbean app or on the website at https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

As well as delving deeper into the Aspin era and the unprofessionalism quoted by Askey at the time he took over, other interesting topics from the past would be...

Sinnott ... Was he deliberately undermined by Glover, was he given enough time? Or was he just out of his depth.

Similarly Bruno.... Why the sudden drop off after a promising start? Was Brown involved in that to further his own opportunities.

Page, Norman and Exeter in the cup. Was he really going to get sacked live on TV? Norman addressing fans on the coach after the game etc. Should Smurf have been sectioned for his own wellbeing?

Billy Bell's biscuit tin. Dodgy attendances at Vale park, and the mystery of the Dave Brammer sale.

With the Bruno era I think we could all see from the start of the season that it was going to eventually come crashing down at some point. We picked up results but I’m not sure how, as we were truly awful in most games and getting overran on most occasions. I imagine scouting us for the start of the season would also have played a part - as we were a pure unknown.

• Like 1

With the Bruno era I think we could all see from the start of the season that it was going to eventually come crashing down at some point. We picked up results but I’m not sure how, as we were truly awful in most games and getting overran on most occasions. I imagine scouting us for the start of the season would also have played a part - as we were a pure unknown.
I remember being behind the goal at the Kids grove Athletic friendly watching the keepers warm up and being staggered that the goalkeeping coach didn't speak a word of English. I remember him trying to communicate entirely by gestures and sign language. With Jak Alnwick visibly frustrated and (I think it was) Ryan Boot looking utterly bemused. The writing was on the wall from early doors, but at times in that early part of the season (Wigan and Scunthorpe if I remember rightly) we looked like we could be unplayable going forward.

1 hour ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Similarly Bruno.... Why the sudden drop off after a promising start? Was Brown involved in that to further his own opportunities.

Going off his management spell after Bruno left maybe there isn't much difference between Brown intentionally sabotaging things and Brown doing his best to help the team.