Ale and the Vale Podcast

On 28/11/2020 at 23:32, PV1973 said:

The comment about disruptive players was an interesting tidbit of “inside information”. That needs to be quashed as soon as possible. The obvious suspects would be those who have been binned out of the squad entirely. 

One of the names we've heard is mentioned at the end of the pod. Not exactly a surprise.

Advert:

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers for the feedback. A few points here.  1) Can't help my accent I'm afraid. 2) I live in north London and very occasionally watch Arsenal with my father in law. 3) I don't know how

I know some find Clarke a bit outspoken but he's spot on about the weaknesses in the squad. It is unbalanced. We've never had a midfield physical presence since Grant left and are soft centred. No rea

Not quite sure what the point is of coming onto a thread and start sl@gging off a brilliant podcast which gives a fresh and original view on the vale. By all means, stop listening but not sure wh

On the subject of dressing room unrest, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Judging by the team andcsquad that were put out yesterday im assuming that Pope, McKirdy, Robinson, Clark and possibly Cullen are involved.
We know Askey wanted rid of Pope at the end of last season (but that didnt happen)
McKirdy and Robinson were both late additions when we thought our business was done and Clark was an emergency loan due to injuries.
So whose to blame for the unrest? Do we have any sympathy with Askey as on the face of it, he signed the majority of those players and had a chance to get rid of the other. Or is something else going on behind the scenes?
Have the owners had an influence in Pope staying, using the funds on McKirdy and Robinson, and bringing Clark back in because he is popular with the fans? Or is it all Askey's doing?
Either way with those 5 jettisoned yesterday we got back to playing passionate, neat, quick football on the ground, with seemingly little discontent in the camp.
January will be interesting.

Advert:

Who says there's unrest. I'd love to know where this has come from and how we know for a fact that some players are causing trouble considering everyone is moaning about the lack of information coming from the club regarding injuries. The players are now separated from everyone else at the club because of covid so I don't see how unless this has come from a player or management that this is anything other than a load of bull.
As for Askey hasn't signed players so hes not playing them would you play mckirdy & Robinson after their performance the other week. they were brought in late because Robinson was lined up incase Maynard fell through and Mckirdy came in after Browne left and to me both look unfit or uninterested I'm not sure which
The poor run we've been on is down to the fact that we have a mid table budget with mid table players who aren't consistent enough

1 hour ago, dishydave said:

Who says there's unrest. I'd love to know where this has come from and how we know for a fact that some players are causing trouble considering everyone is moaning about the lack of information coming from the club regarding injuries. The players are now separated from everyone else at the club because of covid so I don't see how unless this has come from a player or management that this is anything other than a load of bull.
As for Askey hasn't signed players so hes not playing them would you play mckirdy & Robinson after their performance the other week. they were brought in late because Robinson was lined up incase Maynard fell through and Mckirdy came in after Browne left and to me both look unfit or uninterested I'm not sure which
The poor run we've been on is down to the fact that we have a mid table budget with mid table players who aren't consistent enough

I think that the club's policy of hardly commenting on injuries does not help. I guess the idea is to keep the oppo in the dark. But it does fuel conspiracy theories. Pretty counterproductive in my opinion. If McKirdy Robinson Crookes are out injured or isolating just say so. Not like any are some secret weapon.

22 hours ago, dishydave said:

Across the three of us, we've heard it from too many people now for there not be some truth to it. I can understand your reluctance to believe such 'rumours', but we haven't just randomly had one message and then read it out, we checked in to it after we got given some information. None of us of are interested in being rumourmongers (we'll leave that to Unofficial Vale on Twitter 🙂 ). We do the pod because we like doing it, not to create some sort of controversy. I hope that answers some questions!

On 06/12/2020 at 07:50, Smallthorne Dog said:

On the subject of dressing room unrest, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Judging by the team andcsquad that were put out yesterday im assuming that Pope, McKirdy, Robinson, Clark and possibly Cullen are involved.
We know Askey wanted rid of Pope at the end of last season (but that didnt happen)
McKirdy and Robinson were both late additions when we thought our business was done and Clark was an emergency loan due to injuries.
So whose to blame for the unrest? Do we have any sympathy with Askey as on the face of it, he signed the majority of those players and had a chance to get rid of the other. Or is something else going on behind the scenes?
Have the owners had an influence in Pope staying, using the funds on McKirdy and Robinson, and bringing Clark back in because he is popular with the fans? Or is it all Askey's doing?
Either way with those 5 jettisoned yesterday we got back to playing passionate, neat, quick football on the ground, with seemingly little discontent in the camp.
January will be interesting.

I would blame Askey for signing McKirdy. No club gets rid of a winger who scores 11 goals in a shortened season unless he's such a big problem they need him gone to try and restore some kind of harmony at the club. It was a massive red flag, and we ignored it because he was alright during a trial period. It's not like he's even been decent in a meaningful game! 

I would be very disappointed if there wasn't squad unrest. When you're on a run like we have been on the lads not playing should be banging on the managers door wanting to be given a chance. 

I expect a few to leave in the transfer window. If I was a player in the squad I would be thinking what's the point of me being there? It's OK not getting a game when the team is winning which but not getting a game or 2 to show what you can do when the team is struggling shows I will never get a fair chance. You could argue those that came in didn't stake a claim but you need to be given more that 45 minutes here and there to find your feet.

Advert:

3 hours ago, stupers said:

It's not like he's even been decent in a meaningful game! 

McKirdy was played out of position for 45 minutes and subbed, when quite frankly all of the 11 players on the pitch deserved to be benched.

• Like 4

The thing is Stupers, rumours are rumours. Unless someone sticks their head up and says X from the club (named)  said Y (named) did Z (described). Otherwise it is rather unhelpful speculation. It is rife that McKirdy and Theo are trouble makers. But without solid evidence I prefer to hold fire.

• Like 1

Players knocking on a managers door wondering why they aren’t playing isn’t unrest, that’s part and parcel of professional football. If someone else isn’t playing well or a player believes he should be getting a chance then it’s normal for them to be knocking on the managers door.

I’ve heard very credible stories from first hand sources of Mckirdys conduct during training, including getting into a spat with the manager on the training ground. 

With regards to McKirdy he played 26 starts and 12 subs appearances last season for Carlisle , scoring 11 goals of which 5 were in the FA Cup. 

The comments by Beech suggest he wasn't particularly happy in the Carlisle area ( i wouldn't be myself !!! ) and he is a bit of a maverick. Not really any suggestions of him being a troublemaker.

Why if he was such a bad influence was he not put out to pasture instead of playing 38 times?

I just think he has been an easy target on here, because he's different, socks rolled down , a bit of a pleb etc etc.

Was he absolutely awful at Stevenage? Too right , but so was every other single player bar Rodney.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vales-rivals-defend-decision-4149574

Also Askey comments on Theo don't suggest a trouble maker, granted that it was the first game of the season.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/always-dangerous-john-askeys-verdict-4489139

I love how Clark is also thrust into the bracket of troublemaker now too having been a virtual ever present. Anyone just thought maybe despite the freak scoreline that Askey just set out more cautiously at Bolton as Clark gets exposed sometimes because he is so attack minded?

Although Mills was ran ragged until he finally settled into the game.

One thing we can be sure of is McKirdy hasn't been frequenting pubs or Bookies !!!

Losing by the odd goal often to a last minute sucker punch does not reek of bad individuals at the club, it reeks of poor game management from those on the pitch .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darren1810 said:

With regards to McKirdy he played 26 starts and 12 subs appearances last season for Carlisle , scoring 11 goals of which 5 were in the FA Cup. 

The comments by Beech suggest he wasn't particularly happy in the Carlisle area ( i wouldn't be myself !!! ) and he is a bit of a maverick. Not really any suggestions of him being a troublemaker.

Why if he was such a bad influence was he not put out to pasture instead of playing 38 times?

I just think he has been an easy target on here, because he's different, socks rolled down , a bit of a pleb etc etc.

Was he absolutely awful at Stevenage? Too right , but so was every other single player bar Rodney.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vales-rivals-defend-decision-4149574

Also Askey comments on Theo don't suggest a trouble maker, granted that it was the first game of the season.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/always-dangerous-john-askeys-verdict-4489139

I love how Clark is also thrust into the bracket of troublemaker now too having been a virtual ever present. Anyone just thought maybe despite the freak scoreline that Askey just set out more cautiously at Bolton as Clark gets exposed sometimes because he is so attack minded?

Although Mills was ran ragged until he finally settled into the game.

One thing we can be sure of is McKirdy hasn't been frequenting pubs or Bookies !!!

Losing by the odd goal often to a last minute sucker punch does not reek of bad individuals at the club, it reeks of poor game management from those on the pitch .

When was Clark classed as a troublemaker? he didn't play saturday as he had hardly trained all week..... if its true that Mckirdy has had a spat with askey then that happens in football BUT it depends what over and if it had an effect on other players,in all honesty i will be amazed if McKirdy is still at Vale at the end of January along with a couple of others

Advert:

16 hours ago, toyahw said:

The thing is Stupers, rumours are rumours. Unless someone sticks their head up and says X from the club (named)  said Y (named) did Z (described). Otherwise it is rather unhelpful speculation. It is rife that McKirdy and Theo are trouble makers. But without solid evidence I prefer to hold fire.

That's fair to say. Hopefully people will understand that whilst we're not going to name anyone who has passed us information, we wouldn't talk about it unless we believed it to be true following some extra digging. We have to accept that some people won't like that, which we are comfortable with. 

19 hours ago, MBE said:

McKirdy was played out of position for 45 minutes and subbed, when quite frankly all of the 11 players on the pitch deserved to be benched.

Fair also, I just haven't seen anything from the bench when he's come on and the Stevenage game he was poor, just like you suggested everyone was. I think if he was worth all the mither, he would have stuck out more so far and thrust himself into the team. He hasn't. 

16 hours ago, toyahw said:

McKirdy has been spouting off about his fallout with Askey on his trips to his local golf club.