onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

On 05/10/2021 at 03:35, Vale1995 said:

If anyone is in need of a new drinking game try drinking everytime stu says 'you know' during the pod. Got me absolutely trollied after about 5 minutes 

I thought it would be my 'erms' that would be the focal point of the game!

Sutton United Preview!

We're talking Manager of the Month, other awards and a Rochdale Pizza game this week. Then into Sutton, who have won 4 out of their last 5 and have some dangerous ex-vale players on the books. A full contingent of Vale fans heading to a new ground this weekend. Will it be Vale marching on, or will Sutton get in and stop the charge?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Sutton United Preview!
We're talking Manager of the Month, other awards and a Rochdale Pizza game this week. Then into Sutton, who have won 4 out of their last 5 and have some dangerous ex-vale players on the books. A full contingent of Vale fans heading to a new ground this weekend. Will it be Vale marching on, or will Sutton get in and stop the charge?
Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

'Dangerous ex-vale players'

It was asked how the Manager of the Month curse affected Port Vale managers. Well since 2004 only Micky Adams won it (three times):

September 2010 (followed by a 2-1 loss to Oxford United)

November 2010 (followed by a 1-0 loss to Morecambe)

September 2012 (followed by a 1-1 draw with Dagenham)

Clarke has won five Manager of the Month awards, and immediately followed them with 1 win, 2 draws and 1 defeat.

I must point out I'm just counting the first result of the following month. The award winners are actually announced a few days into the following month if you are want to say the curse only strikes once the award has actually been given

Sutton Review!

An off day for the Vale as karma hits and we fall to a late defeat at Gander Green Lane. Plenty to discuss in the game and some inconsistent performances to go. And what was the referee on?! Apologies for the sound quality from Jonny, who sounds like he was on the Moon when we recorded!

Is it wrong to say I enjoy the pod more when we lose? Not sure I agree with knocking individual performances down because of the team performance though. 

There were some good performances within the game I thought, and at times proctor, Pett and Gibbo were way ahead of everyone. 

Pett had a decent game, but I thought it was him that was slow to close the thrower for the 3rd goal, a small lapse that ended up being costly. I agree that I don’t think there’s any blame that can be attached to Worrall for not winning the header, but when everyone is getting back into their shape it’s hard to suddenly be swapping around so that someone else marks worralls man when he’s coming in defend the back post. 

One thing I noticed with Jones and gibbo was that they were mainly being targeted on that side with long diagonals on to Jones head. I think jones stood up to it well and in the main  I felt that they both linked together well to defend their back post / corner of the box from those long balls in. 

It’s an interesting comment you make about that bit if play from Gibbo where he headed it past the full back and ran on it. You don’t often see play like that in our league, let alone from a full back. I think him and Conlon are currently the 2 main players for us that could be being scouted elsewhere. Conlon may not have been at his best, but you can still tell that’s most of our play goes through him. Take the second goal as an example, that must have been a training ground routine with Conlon being at the heart of it. 

Edited by PV1973

On 09/10/2021 at 15:08, PV1973 said:

Is it wrong to say I enjoy the pod more when we lose? Not sure I agree with knocking individual performances down because of the team performance though. 

There were some good performances within the game I thought, and at times proctor, Pett and Gibbo were way ahead of everyone. 

Pett had a decent game, but I thought it was him that was slow to close the thrower for the 3rd goal, a small lapse that ended up being costly. I agree that I don’t think there’s any blame that can be attached to Worrall for not winning the header, but when everyone is getting back into their shape it’s hard to suddenly be swapping around so that someone else marks worralls man when he’s coming in defend the back post. 

One thing I noticed with Jones and gibbo was that they were mainly being targeted on that side with long diagonals on to Jones head. I think jones stood up to it well and in the main  I felt that they both linked together well to defend their back post / corner of the box from those long balls in. 

It’s an interesting comment you make about that bit if play from Gibbo where he headed it past the full back and ran on it. You don’t often see play like that in our league, let alone from a full back. I think him and Conlon are currently the 2 main players for us that could be being scouted elsewhere. Conlon may not have been at his best, but you can still tell that’s most of our play goes through him. Take the second goal as an example, that must have been a training ground routine with Conlon being at the heart of it. 

I think at the end of the day, individual performances were down as the team didn't quite get it right. I thought like you say, there were some decent performances in there but too many off days that was reflected in the scoreline. Not that I thought we played terribly, but we weren't the same side for some reason after we went 2 up. 

I also had Rodney down as the other main name out the door if things went well. I hope he comes back strong from his recent absence. He really is a quality player that can destroy teams when he's on it.

Only started listening to these over the last few weeks when all was well.
I was concerned that this was going to be all doom and gloom and put me off.
However I was pleasantly surprised with how sensible all your views were. Fingers crossed we go on another good run now.

Keep up the good work lads.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

Only started listening to these over the last few weeks when all was well.
I was concerned that this was going to be all doom and gloom and put me off.
However I was pleasantly surprised with how sensible all your views were. Fingers crossed we go on another good run now.

Keep up the good work lads.

Thanks! Much appreciated!