onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Forest Green Preview!

We're back and talking through the main points of the week. Bad news for Leggy, good news for Carol and a bit of mental health discussion after the Lee Collins game. We have an optimistic crack at which striker Vale might try and sign on loan, then go in to the Forest Green preview. We haven't won, they've won all 4 so we're due a win surely?! Plenty of debate on tactics and the road to victory!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Advert

5 minutes ago, mattpvfc said:

Not a prayer sorry

You don't even think top 7?

I know its early days so far but we look solid creating chances, just not finishing them. Captain Conlon to come back in soon I think its only a matter of time before they start going in and we become team that win 1-0. Don't think we will ever blow anybody away - not enough firepower for that.

You don't even think top 7?
I know its early days so far but we look solid creating chances, just not finishing them. Captain Conlon to come back in soon I think its only a matter of time before they start going in and we become team that win 1-0. Don't think we will ever blow anybody away - not enough firepower for that.
No mate mid table for me

9 hours ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

There is so much to pick apart from this I don't know where to start.

I'm not going to repeat what I put earlier in this post, but you my friend are clearly in the pocket of a 35 year old semi-professional footballer who is only guaranteed '15 goals a season' for Congleton (if he doesn't get injured or downs tools on the basis of hearing something he doesn't like).

Maybe if TP actually did legitimately 'trust the process' and made some notable headway into coaching (like he insisted he would love to do) instead of crying, mocking people, putting on accents, doing podcasts, writing newspaper columns and tweeting then maybe he wouldn't be playing 8th tier basement football for his mates and the club would involve him in some way. Seems like he's burnt that bridge, any with many fans.

Not why any young players would want to work with him though, because there is a high chance they will be slagged off in public afterwards if he doesn't like what he see's.

Clarke seems to me like a realist and read this whole situation well, Pope comes across like a spoilt brat who is bemoaning his past 5 years decisions/attitude. 

Agree with this and Gavcradd post. However, I don’t blame the ale and vale lads one bit for doing the interview, I just hope sensible Vale fans can made their own conclusions. 

Its clear Pope has a very high opinion of himself (which you need to be a pro footballer) but I think he lost touch of reality towards the end. An example is his ‘head gone’ comments after losing the captaincy and admitting to proceeding to drink heavily. We all know Pope likes a beer and a fag, but I think his ‘I’ll still try hard’ approach is not suitable in 2021 and we need more professionalism at the club. 

I will always remember Tom Pope fondly, but It was the correct decision to move on, and maybe it was a year too late to be honest. I’m sure If ale and vale interviewed John Askey, there would be a completely different side of the story. 

My only disappointment now is that there seems to be a bit of a divide amongst Vale fans following TP’s comments. I’ve already seen people mocking (in the same way as TP did) ‘trust the process’ ‘attention to detail’ They are waiting for DC and DF to fail, and it’s not helping to form a united fanbase. 

I just hope everyone can draw a line under the past and move forward. We deserve some success after the <ovf censored> we’ve had to deal with over the last 5 years. We can’t turn back time, so regardless of people’s opinions (including TP) let’s back the team, management and owners and see where we end up come May. UTV. 

Edited by Boslem's Brazil
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Tony Rougier said:

OK so on that methodology, if Pope can score against Man City then he should be playing in the Premier League? Do you really think North West counties was the highest level he could get? Regardless of what you say, he was treated badly last season and never got a run in the team. Then he did his shoulder and was given 60 minutes in the last match in a diabolical team. He deserved another contract even if only for 12 months on reduced wages. We will / are already missing him.

Brown - do you not think it was risky releasing a safe pair of hands to be replaced by a 30 year old Brazilian wildcard from non league (already looks very dodgy) and a youngster? He was told he would be getting a new contract but had the rug pulled from under him as well.

Poor treatment of 2 players who had served us very well. If Clarke gets us promotion or even top 7, then please drag this post up at the end of the season and tell me I told you so. I really don't see that happening though, do you?

If no other club in the top seven tiers seems to have been prepared to give Tom a contract why should we?  We are a football club, not a charity. You do not make progress by living in the past. 

• Like 8

Yes
Who's going to score the goals? Who's going to create the clear cut chances for the goals? Everything I've seen so far of the new players screams bang average league 2, top half league 2 at best. We look solid but thats not difficult when we play such a negative formation with experienced players.

For me we are relying on the same players we kept from last season. Conlon will probably be our top scorer (if not then I dread to think where our goals will come from) Jake Taylor to bring his form back from 2 years ago so that we have a bit of creativity (Manager doesn't like him though), and Smith and Legge (Only retained because we were forced to keep him) to keep us solid. How is that great recruitment?

I accept I'm being overly negative too early on but I just don't see it changing that much. It could easily go the other way if the fans turn.

Let's just hope it's down to a tough start to the season and things pick up soon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tony Rougier said:

Who's going to score the goals? Who's going to create the clear cut chances for the goals? Everything I've seen so far of the new players screams bang average league 2, top half league 2 at best. We look solid but thats not difficult when we play such a negative formation with experienced players.

For me we are relying on the same players we kept from last season. Conlon will probably be our top scorer (if not then I dread to think where our goals will come from) Jake Taylor to bring his form back from 2 years ago so that we have a bit of creativity (Manager doesn't like him though), and Smith and Legge (Only retained because we were forced to keep him) to keep us solid. How is that great recruitment?

I accept I'm being overly negative too early on but I just don't see it changing that much. It could easily go the other way if the fans turn.

Let's just hope it's down to a tough start to the season and things pick up soon

Fair enough Tony but I really see similarities for us when Flickers was manager at Mansfield.

Slow start drawing games hard to beat playing 352. Bring in a young forward on loan end of transfer window(Tyler Walker) to fire in the goals . Sounds familiar?

Hopefully we don't collapse at the end of the season like his Mansfield side did.

Its early days 4 league games old our pattern fo play I certainly still developing I'm certain it will pick up soon and you feel more optimistic.

I've weighed in a lot on this post recently because of how mugged off I felt Tom Pope came across on it as a paying Vale fan watching 'his' team play, but I do want to reiterate that I do love the podcast and appreciate the perspective it brings. I was more pissed off at his choice to do it than you guys approaching him, it's your right as freelance/independent fans to get that perspective.

It definitely helps to relate as a fan (as someone also put earlier) when it doesn't have any affiliation with the club officially and can see the lads are massive genuine vale fans themselves. 

Look forward to the Forest Green pod - keep up the grand work.

• Like 2