onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

1 minute ago, toyahw said:

The vociferous vaccine denier and conspiracy theorist? Who isn't any more......

Yes, that irks me. But at the time he was a far better choice as captain. Since then Conlon has emerged as a leader and so has taken the job. Not quite sure what point you’re making? 

11 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Yes, that irks me. But at the time he was a far better choice as captain. Since then Conlon has emerged as a leader and so has taken the job. Not quite sure what point you’re making? 

No one is perfect. Least of all footballers. I'm firmly in the Pope is in the past camp. Just that I don't think that this is a good stick to beat Pope with.  My point is if he gets sacked for that comment that he may or may not have meant as anti Semitic. To be replaced by  someone putting bonkers stuff out 24/7 on twitter seems a bit odd.

Neither are now, so a bit accademic.

Edited by toyahw

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

No one is perfect. Least of all footballers. I'm firmly in the Pope is in the past camp. Just that I don't think that this is a good stick to beat Pope with.  My point is if he gets sacked for that comment that he may or may not have meant as anti Semitic. To be replaced by  someone putting bonkers stuff out 24/7 on twitter seems a bit odd.

Neither are now, so a bit accademic.

Legge wasn’t putting that stuff out at the time though. 

Some of the comments on here are a bit precious.

Also a few fans on a forum having an argument  isn’t the definition of a <ovf censored> storm and vale fans need no excuse to turn on each other anyway. 

Pope deserved to lose the captaincy when he got banned because of Twitter, that’s not the image the club wanted to be in the news. The decision to take it off him came from the very top is what I heard from more than one source back when it happened. 

I have no issue with any player backing themselves, no one else is going to, being a footballer is about having a strong mental attitude and self belief. I agree with Pope on the issue of Bennett. We were weak as anything when he played up front, his hold up play and his willingness to put himself about was a liability. I felt that the ball was coming straight back with him in the side.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wrex said:

So a fan podcast is supposed to turn down the chance to talk to a club legend? It's not like Pope was drunk or something. He's honestly telling the truth as he sees it.

What are they supposed to do? Say "excuse me we will not entertain criticism of the current/former manager or director of football on this podcast, please keep your opinions to yourself Tom"?

People complain that modern footballers are robots that come out with clichés rather than speak the honest truth or say anything interesting or controversial. People bemoan that we don't see 'characters' in modern football. Well here's Pope, speaking his mind. I'm all for it. I think he makes himself seem silly at times but it was a fascinating listen either way. Thank you to the lads for putting this episode together.

Not only is Tom Pope a club legend he is also supposed to be a Vale fan and as such should support the club.  To use a cliche, he has washed his dirty linen in public. I just know there is no way anyone at the club will respond to this in any official capacity. Pope has become the Prince Harry of Burslem. The podcast has given him free reign to say what he wants, which is fair enough but he was never challenged on some issues, particularly in relation to his U turn on Flitcroft. Nobody will have fallen off their chair upon listening to what he had to say, we know he is bitter but sadly he now wants us to fail. Tom is waiting in the wings, in order to have a cheap, "I told you so" at some point in the future. I think Clarke should take a leaf out of the Queen's book and release the statement "recollections may vary".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Some of the comments on here are a bit precious.

Also a few fans on a forum having an argument  isn’t the definition of a <ovf censored> storm and vale fans need no excuse to turn on each other anyway. 

Pope deserved to lose the captaincy when he got banned because of Twitter, that’s not the image the club wanted to be in the news. The decision to take it off him came from the very top is what I heard from more than one source back when it happened. 

I have no issue with any player backing themselves, no one else is going to, being a footballer is about having a strong mental attitude and self belief. I agree with Pope on the issue of Bennett. We were weak as anything when he played up front, his hold up play and his willingness to put himself about was a liability. I felt that the ball was coming straight back with him in the side.

It certainly has caused some upset. It’s turning people against Clarke as some people treat Pope as a God and lap up everything he does.

And yes Pope was better than Bennett, but we played worse with Pope. Bennett didn’t need to hold the ball up, we played 433 and pressed. When Pope came into the team it turned into hoofball.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

The podcast has given him free reign to say what he wants, which is fair enough but he was never challenged on some issues, particularly in relation to his U turn on Flitcroft.

With respect to Stu, Baz and Jonny it's safe to say neither of them are Jeremy Paxman, or even Piers Morgan. Besides the episode was already three hours long, if they started challenging Pope on what he was saying they'd probably still be recording now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

It certainly has caused some upset. It’s turning people against Clarke as some people treat Pope as a God and lap up everything he does.

And yes Pope was better than Bennett, but we played worse with Pope. Bennett didn’t need to hold the ball up, we played 433 and pressed. When Pope came into the team it turned into hoofball.

Absolutely. But the Forest Green game early doors I think we won 2-1 and Bennett scored was as good a footballing performance Vale have given in the past 2 or 3 seasons. Bennett rightly kept his place for a few games. He wasn't/ isn't great but certainly at that time merited the shirt. 

Bitter and twisted man Mr Pope is. 

His bad mouthing of Southend when we thrashed them, Bennett and Theo is pathetic 

Incredibly some people I'm sure hanker for the prodigal son to return one day, coaching badge in hand as the new Vale manager.

Do me a favour 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Santa said:

He was also critical of certain players and recruitment at the club but mocking any efforts to turn that around by putting on a Lancashire accent. Several times.

That got really tedious, as did "I'm not going to slag X off, he's one of my best mates, I love him, but X is <ovf censored> and I am better."

Also, slag off players like Theo if you like but at least he was available to play unlike you, Mr I-don't-give-a-<ovf censored>, who was suspended for shooting you mouth off online when we really bodies.

• Like 3

Although it started off as quite an entertaining listen, the longer the Pod went on (and it went on for a bloody long time), little details kept getting added that made it feel a bit like a Greek tragedy unfolding.
This is a man, nearly 36 years old, struggling to come to terms with coming to the end of his football career and not being the same player he was 8 or 9 years ago. But more than that, he seems to be struggling with losing his sense of purpose, he still has unresolved issues about being stripped of the captaincy.
There were a couple of things that stood out for me, one was that he didn't manage to join up the dots with Smurthwaite, admitting his faults but not seeing the bigger picture about how he took the football club backwards over a period of years. He was also critical of certain players and recruitment at the club but mocking any efforts to turn that around by putting on a Lancashire accent. Several times.
Now, DC and DF could well turn out to be a pair of clueless bluffers for all I know, but the club needs dragging into the 21st century and the old school mentality of having a go at anybody who challenges The Way Things Have Always Been Done won’t get us anywhere.
Most of all it just seemed to be a lack of self awareness that made me feel sad. He doesn't appreciate how his personality can rub people up the wrong way, he’s grown up in brutal dressing rooms but doesn’t understand that a lot of people don’t appreciate it.
He admits to starting to act unprofessionally and taking the mick after losing the captaincy but he doesn't see how that could have played a part in him not still being here now. Maybe he also didn't appreciate the wider responsibilities of being a captain besides going and fighting the players’ corner. When he talked about wanting to do his coaching badges but later admitted hating what football has become, I did wonder how we would be able to reconcile the two.
All in all it’s just a really unpleasant way for it all to come to an end. With the indifferent start we’ve had, it has the potential to unsettle the club and the support for some time to come.

Love the pod but that went on too long and was damaging to the club he obviously has demons hope he sorts it out I really do
  • Like 1