onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Doesn’t reflect very well on Askey, that he supposedly lied to TP about Carol not wanting him to be captain. Carol knew nothing about it. Sounds like that was the start of TP’s mindset going downhill. 
Or did she but then told him that she didn't. Why would she want him as captain after he disgraced himself and the club

Advert

4 minutes ago, dishydave said:
18 minutes ago, Doha said:
Doesn’t reflect very well on Askey, that he supposedly lied to TP about Carol not wanting him to be captain. Carol knew nothing about it. Sounds like that was the start of TP’s mindset going downhill. 

Or did she but then told him that she didn't. Why would she want him as captain after he disgraced himself and the club

If I had to choose someone lying out of Askey or Carol it’d be Askey I’m afraid. I think Carol would be honest with him about the reasons why. 

• Like 1

If I had to choose someone lying out of Askey or Carol it’d be Askey I’m afraid. I think Carol would be honest with him about the reasons why. 
If I had to choose someone lying or being mistaken out of Carol, JA or TP, it'd be TP. Just because TP has said it doesn't mean it's true. I swear if TP came out and said the earth was flat, some of you would be calling your travel agents for a trip to the edge
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr Delgado said:

I really do think that the Ale and the Vale podcast crew need to take a hard look at what they have produced here. I doubt whether any Stoke or Crewe fan could have undermined the current regime as much as Tom Pope has done and they have provided the platform for him to do it. Why would Darrell Clarke play an unfit Tom Pope who was out of contract and worth nothing to the club in terms of a sell on, over Theo Robinson who he had probably earmarked as surplus but had a year on his contract? I suggest a few on here should now become Congleton Town fans and follow Tom wherever he goes, even into Scrimmies. I personally have nothing but disdain for his undignified vitriol. Are we Vale fans or what? 

I agree with your sentiments regarding Pope, however I wouldn’t blame Stu, Jonny or Bezza. It’s Pope who is at fault.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Delgado said:

I really do think that the Ale and the Vale podcast crew need to take a hard look at what they have produced here. I doubt whether any Stoke or Crewe fan could have undermined the current regime as much as Tom Pope has done and they have provided the platform for him to do it. Why would Darrell Clarke play an unfit Tom Pope who was out of contract and worth nothing to the club in terms of a sell on, over Theo Robinson who he had probably earmarked as surplus but had a year on his contract? I suggest a few on here should now become Congleton Town fans and follow Tom wherever he goes, even into Scrimmies. I personally have nothing but disdain for his undignified vitriol. Are we Vale fans or what? 

So a fan podcast is supposed to turn down the chance to talk to a club legend? It's not like Pope was drunk or something. He's honestly telling the truth as he sees it.

What are they supposed to do? Say "excuse me we will not entertain criticism of the current/former manager or director of football on this podcast, please keep your opinions to yourself Tom"?

People complain that modern footballers are robots that come out with clichés rather than speak the honest truth or say anything interesting or controversial. People bemoan that we don't see 'characters' in modern football. Well here's Pope, speaking his mind. I'm all for it. I think he makes himself seem silly at times but it was a fascinating listen either way. Thank you to the lads for putting this episode together.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Santa said:

I think the comment about Monty was just a clumsy choice of words. CM has been upfront about his mental health and the general point that Tom was making, about him wanting to move away for the sake of his own well-being, wasn't intended to be disrespectful. Or at least that's how it came across to me.

Correct

53 minutes ago, philmpv said:

If I had to choose someone lying or being mistaken out of Carol, JA or TP, it'd be TP. Just because TP has said it doesn't mean it's true. I swear if TP came out and said the earth was flat, some of you would be calling your travel agents for a trip to the edge

Ah okay, so for the record you're claiming that Pope made up a story about Askey telling him Carol had ordered him to take the captaincy off him? That conversation never took place and Pope just decided to lie on record for .... sorry I can't think of a reason, because he likes telling lies?

2 hours ago, Dr Delgado said:

I can see where you are coming from but then at the same time we can take some of what he said with a pinch of salt without it undermining anything 

Ah okay, so for the record you're claiming that Pope made up a story about Askey telling him Carol had ordered him to take the captaincy off him? That conversation never took place and Pope just decided to lie on record for .... sorry I can't think of a reason, because he likes telling lies?

Ah okay, so for the record TP is claiming that JA made up a story that Carol had ordered him to take the captaincy off him? That conversation never took place and JA just decided to lie to TP face for .... sorry I can't think of a reason, because he likes telling lies?

See what I did there? Point is nobody but at least 1 of the 3 involved know the truth. I'm certain both Carol and JA would tell it completely differently to TP and given TPS current state of mind I'm not convinced. No evidence that JA has lied in the past so what have we got?

Finally got the chance to listen to it. Entertaining listen, was nice listening to him talk about his career. Onto more recent matters, he says he’s not bitter but that’s exactly how it seems to me.

He hates Clarke because Clarke didn’t play him above Robinson after saying he’d give him some game time, but who can blame Clarke after our winning run (and Pope’s poor goal scoring record the last couple of seasons). Then saying he was refusing to come on as a sub until Pugh made him, talk about throwing your toys out the pram.

I struggled not to laugh when he complained about Flitcroft not asking him his opinions on players. That’s the sort of old boys club mentality I’m glad we’ve moved away from. 

Also, going back to the Askey days, he seems incredibly unprofessional. Slating Bennett complaining how he got benched for him, what a great teammate. And to be honest, although I agree Pope was a better player than Bennett, we played far better as a team in the 433 with Bennett than we did Pope so I was also in favour of Bennett starting. If what he said about Askey is true then that is poor on Askey’s part, but it doesn’t excuse his behaviour initially from being dropped.

It basically all seems to me as though he couldn’t deal with being left out and not being the main man anymore, which is summarised by his sudden dislike of Flitcroft just due to him not asking his opinion on things.

I’ll be forever grateful for what Pope did for Vale and look back fondly on it. But I have lost all respect for the man, especially after his twitter escapades. I fear that this could have undermined the club, as many fans think Pope can do no wrong and may now turn quicker against Clarke than they otherwise would. 

P.S. Who refers to themselves in the third person??

• Like 4

His sudden dislike of Flitcroft is bizarre in view of what he said in his Sentinel page when Flitcroft arrived:

”Our new director of football David Flitcroft has plenty going for him – hard working, intelligent and a brilliant motivator.

I got to see all that when he was my manager at Bury so I’m really pleased he’s going to be working at Vale Park.”

• Like 3

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

Ah okay, so for the record TP is claiming that JA made up a story that Carol had ordered him to take the captaincy off him? That conversation never took place and JA just decided to lie to TP face for .... sorry I can't think of a reason, because he likes telling lies?

See what I did there? Point is nobody but at least 1 of the 3 involved know the truth. I'm certain both Carol and JA would tell it completely differently to TP and given TPS current state of mind I'm not convinced. No evidence that JA has lied in the past so what have we got?

Askey would want a different captain for any number of valid reasons. Perhaps he did discuss it with Carol beforehand. That part is very believable. Fact is Pope was replaced as captain in October so something was very probably rumbling on before then.

So let's say it's likely that conversation did take place in pre-season. Well clearly Askey made a balls of it because Pope remained as captain for ten weeks into the season before it was taken off him. Askey may well have hoped that by saying "this order comes from the top" would stop any arguement, not counting on Pope storming off and ringing up the chair woman.

We notice a pattern of behaviour people have for dealing with Pope. That is basically "just say something to keep this mad idiot from kicking off and starting a shouting match". I can understand why Askey would tell him it was Carol's decision, but it still is poor on his part as he should stand by his own decisions.

Pope goes on for three hours, saying a lot of things that make himself look bad. Why would he lie about this one incident to make Askey look slightly worse? If he's lying why not make up something that makes Askey look awful or himself really great?

• Like 1

Just now, Jacko51 said:

His sudden dislike of Flitcroft is bizarre in view of what he said in his Sentinel page when Flitcroft arrived:

”Our new director of football David Flitcroft has plenty going for him – hard working, intelligent and a brilliant motivator.

I got to see all that when he was my manager at Bury so I’m really pleased he’s going to be working at Vale Park.”

He mentioned Flitcroft telling the press there was "no room for sentiment" when he arrived, which Pope saw as Flitcroft implying he had decided Pope would be gone in the summer.

11 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Askey would want a different captain for any number of valid reasons. Perhaps he did discuss it with Carol beforehand. That part is very believable. Fact is Pope was replaced as captain in October so something was very probably rumbling on before then.

So let's say it's likely that conversation did take place in pre-season. Well clearly Askey made a balls of it because Pope remained as captain for ten weeks into the season before it was taken off him. Askey may well have hoped that by saying "this order comes from the top" would stop any arguement, not counting on Pope storming off and ringing up the chair woman.

We notice a pattern of behaviour people have for dealing with Pope. That is basically "just say something to keep this mad idiot from kicking off and starting a shouting match". I can understand why Askey would tell him it was Carol's decision, but it still is poor on his part as he should stand by his own decisions.

Pope goes on for three hours, saying a lot of things that make himself look bad. Why would he lie about this one incident to make Askey look slightly worse? If he's lying why not make up something that makes Askey look awful or himself really great?

I don’t know why Pope was so shocked to lose the captaincy either. He wasn’t playing enough and he’d disgraced the club on Twitter. His position was untenable imo. Legge was a far better option to be leader of the club.