onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

4 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Very interesting listen the pope interview. 
I think its a bit of both tom pope knows more than anyone football can be a cruel game- i do think his departure should of been handled better as he is a club legend and i can understand him being upset by that - with the clarke flickers points he makes there are two sides to the story- when they came in he had already stated he had lost his head and was drinking and i had heard rumours he wasnt the best to have around the place from reliable sources at the end of askey era and maybe he was entitled to be like that from how askey treated him. But from clarkes perspective hes coming in to a club that needs results he would of been informed of the pope situation and maybe he thought he needs to make the group to be together and to keep pope happy he told him hed have a part to play to keep him from causing issues. Not saying thats right or wrong and pope being upset by this he has every right to be. But it might of been for the benefit of the team that this was done as pope is a major part of that dressing room and if hes thrown his dummy out it could impact the rest of the players. 

im willing to trust flickers and clarke until proven otherwise as should all vale fans

I have seen, heard and been told enough by different people to not trust Clarke at all. But what do I know?

Advert

Did he actually complain about not being asked his opinion on players? How ridiculous if so.
He’s a player, not a manager, nor coach, nor anyone involved in recruitment. Why does he think he should be involved in that? I’m glad Flitcroft didn’t because tbh that seems a lot more professional.
He's recommended players before, Lainton and Kay being the most notable. They turned out well
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I have seen, heard and been told enough by different people to not trust Clarke at all. But what do I know?

Who’s told you that then? There’s also many others who loved him as a manager, Chris Lines as an example.

Clarke could turn out to be rubbish, but he’s an experienced manager who’s won promotions. 

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I didn't like Askey that much but as a fan no way would i want us to lose games to get him out( I wouldn't with any manager) so to want us lose 6 to 10 games when fans are paying their hard earned money to watch is odd imo and i have to be totally honest i lost a bit of respect when saying he respected smurf 😮 

Didn’t smurf and his mate give pope a ridiculously high wage contract when they took charge 

31 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Did he actually complain about not being asked his opinion on players? How ridiculous if so.

He’s a player, not a manager, nor coach, nor anyone involved in recruitment. Why does he think he should be involved in that? I’m glad Flitcroft didn’t because tbh that seems a lot more professional.

I only listened to little bits last night and am about to do the whole 3 hours now but yes he did. He was complaining they didn’t ask him “what needs doing? Who’s a good player?” when they came in. All due respect to Tom, he isn’t the ultimate authority on how the club should be run footballing wise. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

I think seeing as Pope wanted to throw around the ‘Mentally Unstable’ tag about Montano on the eve of the Lee Collins match then it’s only fair to say (after this interview) that there is way more evidence of himself being ‘Mentally Unstable’.

I’m sorry, I don’t care if he’s a club legend, his reputation is slipping fast because of his outright bitterness . Calling people scumbags on the basis of not asking for his opinion, questioning people’s loyalties to suit his own narrative and we are supposed to sit back and go ‘yeah Tom, we feel really sorry for you’.

League 2/1 footballer, he has lived my childhood dream playing for his boyhood club til he was mid 30’s and now he’s crying about being released (now playing lower than non league for his mates) like an absolute adult baby.

At least Montano was open and honest about his issues, Pope just hides it behind his hard man persona and tweets.

Forget about him, 30 something year old from Sneyd Green who doesn’t want the best for the club, he wants the best for himself and will trash anyone who might say otherwise.

I will probably be told I’m over reacting and people will keep defending him, but we don’t miss this guy in the slightest, the fact that he downed tools and encouraged others to do so whilst I was paying my 22 quid each home game to watch that dross speaks volumes.  Proper annoyed at this.

I’m with DC and Flitcroft, good luck with your sentinel column Tom, that was always your back up to the vale anyway. 

Excellent post JH agree with everything you said , Pope isn’t bothered about the vale all he cares about is Tom Pope 

• Like 1

I think the comment about Monty was just a clumsy choice of words. CM has been upfront about his mental health and the general point that Tom was making, about him wanting to move away for the sake of his own well-being, wasn't intended to be disrespectful. Or at least that's how it came across to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Didn’t smurf and his mate give pope a ridiculously high wage contract when they took charge 

A ridiculously high wage that Bury and other clubs were willing to double. I don't think Smurf would pay anyone more than he absolutely had to.

2 hours ago, Wrex said:

He succeeded at all the clubs he's managed. Kept Barnsley up, got Bury promoted, got poached from Swindon and got Mansfield to the play-offs.

I don't think it'll hurt him that much to be called a scumbag by Pope. Okay Pope's departure might have been handled better. But it was a very difficult situation.

At Bury, he spent the money that ultimately put them in the mire. Again, spent a fortune at Mansfield. I just don't trust the bloke for some reason. Looks like the bloke who sold a hot tub to my Mrs.