onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

12 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Not sure what you mean by that?

He's an ex Third Division footballer who has never succeeded as a manager. Now he's a Director of Football. He must have a reputation to keep getting employed, because it's not down to results. Getting called a scumbag by a legend will hurt. 

Edited by johnjeffersfanclub

Advert

2 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I'm not having a go at him about it! Saying I found it a bit of a tragic image is more of a reflection on the <ovf censored> nature of the divorce rather than a criticism of TP.

Point taken mate, sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Getting called a scumbag by a legend will hurt. 

I don’t think it will.

Especially given the dramatic swing in Popes opinion, from Flickers being someone he thoroughly recommended be brought to the club, to “scumbag”.

And the reason… because they has the audacity to not ask Tom his opinion on the players. 

I think it will vindicate Flitcrofts view that  Tom wasn’t someone that would be helpful in the new era… someone who is clinging to the past… someone who wouldn’t embrace the change from “5 pints down the pub and try dead hard” to professionalising the club… someone who has been the king of Burslem and wouldn’t give up his influence easily.

15 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I haven’t listened to the podcast so I won’t comment on what Tom Pope has said. Does he mention that he had dragged the club’s name through the mud with his stupidity on social media?  Did he mention that the club spent a fortune on legal fees supporting him during his last social media issue?  Did he mention that he refused to take the advice of those legal people in his response to the case?  He reckons he has the right to free speech - well so do the rest of us and I reckon that it is a shame in view of everything he did on the pitch for the club he is now behaving like a spoilt kid off it. 

I am also interested in if he mentions the players clearly downing tools to get rid of Askey(which was obvious to most)

Just to add i do and always will support PORT VALE no matter who runs the club,who manages the club and who plays for the club so what TP says about anybody means nowt to me really,they still get my support

Pope will be a legend for what he has done for the club he loves BUT the club will always be bigger than any player

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

He's an ex Third Division footballer who has never succeeded as a manager. Now he's a Director of Football. He must have a reputation to keep getting employed, because it's not down to results. Getting called a scumbag by a legend will hurt. 

He succeeded at all the clubs he's managed. Kept Barnsley up, got Bury promoted, got poached from Swindon and got Mansfield to the play-offs.

I don't think it'll hurt him that much to be called a scumbag by Pope. Okay Pope's departure might have been handled better. But it was a very difficult situation.

I didn't like Askey that much but as a fan no way would i want us to lose games to get him out( I wouldn't with any manager) so to want us lose 6 to 10 games when fans are paying their hard earned money to watch is odd imo and i have to be totally honest i lost a bit of respect when saying he respected smurf 😮 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I didn't like Askey that much but as a fan no way would i want us to lose games to get him out( I wouldn't with any manager) so to want us lose 6 to 10 games when fans are paying their hard earned money to watch is odd imo and i have to be totally honest i lost a bit of respect when saying he respected smurf 😮 

Did he say he respected Smurf or that he liked that he was easy to manipulate- particularly when MA was still there? 

Edited by ginge

Very interesting listen the pope interview. 
I think its a bit of both tom pope knows more than anyone football can be a cruel game- i do think his departure should of been handled better as he is a club legend and i can understand him being upset by that - with the clarke flickers points he makes there are two sides to the story- when they came in he had already stated he had lost his head and was drinking and i had heard rumours he wasnt the best to have around the place from reliable sources at the end of askey era and maybe he was entitled to be like that from how askey treated him. But from clarkes perspective hes coming in to a club that needs results he would of been informed of the pope situation and maybe he thought he needs to make the group to be together and to keep pope happy he told him hed have a part to play to keep him from causing issues. Not saying thats right or wrong and pope being upset by this he has every right to be. But it might of been for the benefit of the team that this was done as pope is a major part of that dressing room and if hes thrown his dummy out it could impact the rest of the players. 

im willing to trust flickers and clarke until proven otherwise as should all vale fans

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I don’t think it will.

Especially given the dramatic swing in Popes opinion, from Flickers being someone he thoroughly recommended be brought to the club, to “scumbag”.

And the reason… because they has the audacity to not ask Tom his opinion on the players. 

I think it will vindicate Flitcrofts view that  Tom wasn’t someone that would be helpful in the new era… someone who is clinging to the past… someone who wouldn’t embrace the change from “5 pints down the pub and try dead hard” to professionalising the club… someone who has been the king of Burslem and wouldn’t give up his influence easily.

Did he actually complain about not being asked his opinion on players? How ridiculous if so.

He’s a player, not a manager, nor coach, nor anyone involved in recruitment. Why does he think he should be involved in that? I’m glad Flitcroft didn’t because tbh that seems a lot more professional.