onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

10 hours ago, TheSage said:

I know some find Clarke a bit outspoken but he's spot on about the weaknesses in the squad. It is unbalanced. We've never had a midfield physical presence since Grant left and are soft centred. No real leader out there. Heads drop - in part because we've got a lot of young lads. Everyone knows we badly needed at least one defender in January but we didn't do owt about it (apart from the young boy on loan). Leaving the managerial appointment too late was another error.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And when confidence plummets it's tough to get it back.

I think our best (only) chance of winning games lies in us getting a tune out of the likes of Pope, Amoo, Oyleke and Worrall. Their experience, trickery and physicality might give us a bit extra and get us across the line.

But it's a poor squad. The spine is badly creaking compared to last year, Askey's signings were appalling generally, and we've got far too many crocks in the squad (at least 4 of them). None of these things are Clarke's fault. I'll judge him after a couple of windows and a pre-season but it's going to be a nail biting finish. We've been far too complacent since last October.

I can't disagree with any of that. I'll bring this one up on the pod tomorrow.

Advert

11 hours ago, TheSage said:

I know some find Clarke a bit outspoken but he's spot on about the weaknesses in the squad. It is unbalanced. We've never had a midfield physical presence since Grant left and are soft centred. No real leader out there. Heads drop - in part because we've got a lot of young lads. Everyone knows we badly needed at least one defender in January but we didn't do owt about it (apart from the young boy on loan). Leaving the managerial appointment too late was another error.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And when confidence plummets it's tough to get it back.

I think our best (only) chance of winning games lies in us getting a tune out of the likes of Pope, Amoo, Oyleke and Worrall. Their experience, trickery and physicality might give us a bit extra and get us across the line.

But it's a poor squad. The spine is badly creaking compared to last year, Askey's signings were appalling generally, and we've got far too many crocks in the squad (at least 4 of them). None of these things are Clarke's fault. I'll judge him after a couple of windows and a pre-season but it's going to be a nail biting finish. We've been far too complacent since last October.

Sage. Ypu are spot on.

• Like 1

The Cheltenham preview is available!

Final thoughts on the Salford game, before talking through a few news items, a OVF post that made a lot of sense and Scott Brown's surprising words at his pre-match press conference today. Then it's on to a Cheltenham preview, another team top of the league when we play them! Not a lot of goals in their games, but we need to get a goal from somewhere. Can we do it?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Thanks lads.

The problems you had selecting a team said it all.

Far too many injuries and sadly no chance at all yet of selecting our strongest line up.

It was very interesting to hear what Brown said wasn't it? Just confirming what we've all thought for several seasons - quantity over quality.

• Like 1

Cheltenham Review available

The two late goals don't paper over the cracks of another terrible afternoon for Vale as they lose 3-2 to Cheltenham. Defensive errors aplenty, bad individual performances. Just not good enough. The three of us dissect the performance, followed by raised voices over whether we should be focusing on the other teams around us!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

5 hours ago, stupers said:

Cheltenham Review available

The two late goals don't paper over the cracks of another terrible afternoon for Vale as they lose 3-2 to Cheltenham. Defensive errors aplenty, bad individual performances. Just not good enough. The three of us dissect the performance, followed by raised voices over whether we should be focusing on the other teams around us!

Good listen. The raised voices is just passion because you boys care like all true Vale fans care. It's a stressful time to be a Vale fan (when isn't it).

Agree we need to focus on ourselves. 15 points now from our previous 23 games. We accumulated more points in our opening 9 matches of the season than we have done in the past 23. An unbelievable stat.

Next 4 games are huge with 3 at home & Colchester away. Could define our season.

I don't know why & I don't know how, but I fancy us for a couple of sneaky wins. We are terrible but it still feels like one win will change things, for me. Ever the optimist!

UTV

Edited by ValeForever.
SPAG

Some interesting points with this week‘s pod

What was meant by press black out was it? What’s gone on there (I may have missed it) also the issue with Brown, was he speaking on behalf of himself or collective and who was behind it?

Re Conlon, a year ago he couldn’t get in the side past Taylor and Burgess and now he’s captain? He’s no leader , which we want , so Leon or Pope for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

Some interesting points with this week‘s pod

What was meant by press black out was it? What’s gone on there (I may have missed it) also the issue with Brown, was he speaking on behalf of himself or collective and who was behind it?

Re Conlon, a year ago he couldn’t get in the side past Taylor and Burgess and now he’s captain? He’s no leader , which we want , so Leon or Pope for me. 

Hi mate. I think since Clarke came in things are a lot tighter media wise. We did have a current player lined up, all agreed to come on, and then he broke off contact. We can’t say for sure, but he was very keen so it seemed strange to us unless someone had told him not to do it. I’m not saying the club are wrong to get involved (if they have!) but I think the message out of the club is being controlled differently. You only have to see the Clarke pre match pressers to see that.

As for Brown, there’s no way for me that he’s just been allowed to go out in a pre match press conference and slag off his teammates. If someone had rung him up at home and he’d gone off on one, then that’s more believable as him on his own. All I’ve seen is him be a top pro for 3 years. So it’s completely out of character. 

• Like 2

The upshot of browns comments is that he’s telling the majority of the players in that dressing who’ve been recruited over the last 12 months or so that they aren’t good enough, (bar maybe a couple of exceptions). So whilst that might be an honest thing to say it’s not great for any kind of team unity that we need. 

45 minutes ago, stupers said:

Hi mate. I think since Clarke came in things are a lot tighter media wise. We did have a current player lined up, all agreed to come on, and then he broke off contact. We can’t say for sure, but he was very keen so it seemed strange to us unless someone had told him not to do it. I’m not saying the club are wrong to get involved (if they have!) but I think the message out of the club is being controlled differently. You only have to see the Clarke pre match pressers to see that.

If I was boss I would close ranks and stop everything until the battle is over. At this time they all need to come together (unlike the Brown interview stating the bloody obvious) don't say anything and develop a siege mentality. PVFC v the rest of the world for the next 2 months.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MBE said:

If I was boss I would close ranks and stop everything until the battle is over. At this time they all need to come together (unlike the Brown interview stating the bloody obvious) don't say anything and develop a siege mentality. PVFC v the rest of the world for the next 2 months.

I would too.