onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

We've done a 'No Game Saturday' pod!

As there's no game this weekend, we've used our Saturday afternoon to catch up with the weeks news. We talk about the end of salary caps in their current form, football's response to social media abuse of footballers and finally, the managerial situation! 

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Emergency Pod - Darrell Clarke is the new Vale Manager!

Hopefully the last emergency pod for a while! Darrell Clarke has been appointed as the new manager at Port Vale, on a 3 and a half year deal. We run through his background and how that matches the criteria set out by Carol at the start of the search. Is this an impressive hire? Let us know what you think below!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

• Like 1

Have to say I'm really impressed. I was holding off my judgement of Flitcroft as director of football until the new head coach/manager was announced.

Talk of bringing in a rookie manager, well Darrell has managed a lot more games than Flitcroft, albeit maybe half of them in the Conference. Ever since he took Rovers from the Conference to League One I had him down as a talented manager, though as he was already in a job with a club higher in the league I didn't consider him as a possible candidate.

Just going through the two men's Wikipedia pages and we can see that together Clarke and Flitcroft have 791 games in management behind them, five promotions, six Manager of the Month awards from the Conference to League One and the only prior link to the club is one game on loan in September 2005! I think we can safely say they tick all the boxes and together they won't come cheap and I'm sure they wouldn't have signed up without assurances of being backed in the transfer market so a big thanks to Carol for spending her kid's inheritance at Vale Park!

• Like 1

On 15/02/2021 at 21:05, Wrex said:

Have to say I'm really impressed. I was holding off my judgement of Flitcroft as director of football until the new head coach/manager was announced.

Talk of bringing in a rookie manager, well Darrell has managed a lot more games than Flitcroft, albeit maybe half of them in the Conference. Ever since he took Rovers from the Conference to League One I had him down as a talented manager, though as he was already in a job with a club higher in the league I didn't consider him as a possible candidate.

Just going through the two men's Wikipedia pages and we can see that together Clarke and Flitcroft have 791 games in management behind them, five promotions, six Manager of the Month awards from the Conference to League One and the only prior link to the club is one game on loan in September 2005! I think we can safely say they tick all the boxes and together they won't come cheap and I'm sure they wouldn't have signed up without assurances of being backed in the transfer market so a big thanks to Carol for spending her kid's inheritance at Vale Park!

Although they've both stated, that we won't do it by spending lots of money on players 😉

On 10/02/2021 at 17:17, stupers said:

Crikey, I'll let him know!

Ay up Stupers

as a new recruit to the podcast my first listen being the recent tranmere preview then all subsequent casts since in these exciting new times,i just want to say i really appreciate the honest outlook on the vale,i no longer have to bother with biased blakeman and listen to 35 mins of tripe about the <ovf censored> down the road on local radio  for fear of missing the latest Vale news,i now watch the manager,player  interviews on you tube,read OVF and listen to you guys,long may it continue!!youre a breath of fresh air lads!! Anyway can you tell me what the problem was with Mckirdy? heard all the rumours about him being a bad egg etc but i had high hopes for him  can you shed any light on why it didn't work out? UTV

• Like 3

20 hours ago, joker1968 said:

Ay up Stupers

as a new recruit to the podcast my first listen being the recent tranmere preview then all subsequent casts since in these exciting new times,i just want to say i really appreciate the honest outlook on the vale,i no longer have to bother with biased blakeman and listen to 35 mins of tripe about the <ovf censored> down the road on local radio  for fear of missing the latest Vale news,i now watch the manager,player  interviews on you tube,read OVF and listen to you guys,long may it continue!!youre a breath of fresh air lads!! Anyway can you tell me what the problem was with Mckirdy? heard all the rumours about him being a bad egg etc but i had high hopes for him  can you shed any light on why it didn't work out? UTV

Hey! Thanks for coming on board!

The McKirdy problems I believe are the same ones that seem to be common knowledge in the main (I'm sure some of the more outlandish ones are not true). We had a few people message us with these claims, so we went and spoke to people we trust and they didn't really push back on the theories. We then felt that it was strong enough to say we believed he was being a bad egg as you say. 

I'm sad it didn't work out with him. But he was the one player I didn't want us to sign in the summer (The episode we did with Phil Bowers will confirm!), so I'm not surprised it ended like it has. Maybe he gets another chance with Clarke arriving, but the fact Pugh never pulled him back into the fray, and the fact he played for Leicester U23s the other night would suggest his time is up at Vale. Character-wise, we can and should do better in my opinion.

• Like 1

The Leyton Orient Preview is available

Firstly, we have more thoughts on the Darrell Clarke appointment, and look at the few days since his appointment with some positive noise from the training ground. Does it mean that everyone has a clean slate? A slight move off-track then to discuss a refereeing incident from midweek! Finally it's the match preview. Orient haven't been in the best form since their win at Vale Park. Can we get a new manager bounce at Brisbane Road?

Are you going to make Jonnys “scouting for the opposition” a regular feature 😀

To be fair, what Clarke was doing in training with the 11 v 11 is no different to what Askey was doing before, swapping players in and out of positions and looking at different options during the training game. It’s just that he did that and still stuck at 4-3-3 anyway. 

• Like 1

Good podcast again. I thought hurst was industrious and needs to work on his end product. Clearly players like Conlon and Joyce were told to sit and play to a gameplan, which as a result will mean they don’t necessarily get on the ball as often. I thought 5 for Gibbo was harsh too, despite his positional mistake for the goal, a 5 indicates a performance of Mills proportions which it was nowhere near that bad. He made a hash of header that he recovered from and didn’t compound that by diving it to concede a peno. Other than that I thought he was fine and we look a lot better with him in. Worrall going off made us weaker out on the right because their left backs runs weren’t being tracked by worralls replacements. To criticise a player for looking tired after not playing a full 90 for 4 months is a tad harsh too. But it’s a game of opinions. Keep up the good work lads. 

Edited by PV1973