onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

10 hours ago, Dangermouse3 said:

Listened and enjoyed the podcast!

As you all debate the situation, I wonder if Flitcroft is preparing his SWOT analysis of the club and getting it ready for the board?

The question of whether  it will work, will depend on the mixture and leadership of the board and the personalities within the club. Trying to embed the strategies across the club will be an interesting but exciting venture.

The sting out of the boundaries / roles and responsibilities is crucial to avoid any underlying upset and it must be both well communicated / visualised without any unnecessary management speak. 

Maybe this is a five year strategy. At least we have one!

A journey to enjoy.......... let’s see. Hopefully so!

VTID

I didn't realise that Flitcroft had business interests outside of football. I guess I find that quite suprising given I thought being a manager was a full-time job! But I believe Askey was also the same. From that perspective, with your question around SWOT analysis having someone in with that business acumen in that role is very enticing and should be able to marry the business side to the football side in terms of budgeting etc. 

I think the key word with it all is 'alignment'. Carol sets out the vision, what she wants the football to look like, how successful we have to be and what expectation there is around home-grown players and developing players. The Director of Football then seeks to implement that, translating what Carol has asked for in to meaningful outcomes and deliverables that managers, coaches and players understand. The Director of Football then seeks to find a manager to delivery those outcomes and achieve what Carol wants. If for whatever reason, people aren't on the same page then that's where problems arise. As we said on the pod, the manager HAS to have final say on players coming in. But the Director of Football sets the parameters for what we look for in players. Otherwise we end up in a situation where we're clearing out deadwood every year.

It's exciting for me, I think I've suggesting this was a direction to go since Martin Foyle got sacked and we got landed with Sinnott. The traditional manager's role is huge nowadays. I like the thinking here, it just hope it works!

• Like 1

Although previously vaguely aware of the podcast, I only found this thread the other day and started listening to them. Already listened to the tranmere one and a few of the player interviews, and just thought I’d say what a good job you guys are doing. 
Anyone reading this I’d highly recommend giving it a listen, I like having it on in the background whilst sorting tea or doing chores.

• Like 2