onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

On 18/01/2021 at 04:32, Houston Valiant said:

Rob, I was listening to the podcast while driving from Houston to Tulsa today. A very entertaining 45 minutes, which shortened the road a bit. 
I’d like to point out something , if the lads don’t mind. I don’t know what you were speaking into , a regular mic , or pc mic etc, but it sounded great , very warm sounding , just like radio . The other mics sounded very shrill and tin like. Just wondering what the lads speak into. A good mic can make a huge difference to a broadcast. I love the podcasts, and I look forward to them every week. If I can be of any help in the mic Dept. , I’d be glad to help. Thanks to all. 

It's surely just my natural warmth and radio voice :cry: 😉

Actually, it's a headset and mic I also use for video calls at work. It's nothing special but I'm glad it sounded OK.

I must have chanced on the ideal distance between mic and my mouth or perhaps it was because I was up in the OVF Towers attic where's there's no background noise 👍

• Like 1

Advert

6 hours ago, vale victory said:

Hi guys when are the Jake Taylor and John boom boom Mccombe interviews appearing on the pod ???

The Jake Taylor pod has been delayed, we're just confirming when we can get him on. I think we're looking at the 2nd Feb for Boom Boom.

• Like 1

We'll certainly give it some time on the next podcast mate. I remember him well, one of the first proper wingers down at Vale Park from when I started going in 1992 as the conveyor belt of top wingers really kicked in. 

Bad week for deaths in the Vale family, we'll make sure it's all covered. 

Edited by stupers

Hi Lads,
Maybe a point worth mentioning this week. I bought a 10 game flexI ticket back in the summer, this week I’ve received an e-mail from the club stating that I’ll be able to get the final 11 home games, starting with Walsall on Saturday,free via iFollow codes. Not sure how well this has been communicated by the club other than directly messaging supporters, in case some out there haven’t checked their inboxes.
UTV! Dave.

Have they mentioned anything about ST holders?

Have they mentioned anything about ST holders?

I wrote to the club about the 10 game ticket holders months ago but didn’t hear back which was disappointing but glad it’s now been resolved.

Although doesn’t cover what we’ve paid likewise with the ST holders I believe it’s positive and I can maybe lose the £70 for the good of the club whereas couldn’t the £180 after doing the same last season with 5-6 stubs left to us.

Get a program too. Must say whilst didn’t get a reply on that how far the rest of the club has come customer service wise, notably the club shop! Replied to an email over Xmas on a Sunday night did Josh... and the service after the made an error with my order last week was outstanding.

Come a long way there so the ticket office not replying is the exception not the rule which wasn’t the case a couple of years ago!

3 hours ago, Walter said:

They surely cant be giving the 10 gamers all the games for 180 and not acknowledging ST holders that would have paid a minimum of £295.

I read it that the 10 gamers get to watch the last 11 games for free, whereas STs got all 23 games. Seems reasonable to me.

The Walsall preview is up!

We first pay tribute to a big Vale fan, and then a popular ex-player by talking to people who remember them well (Thanks to Tom and Steve for their contributions). We then head into the weeks news as COVID hits the Vale again, and we talk stats! Then into a Walsall preview, our schoolboy defending was the final straw for some Valiants in the reverse fixture, can we beat these this time around? 

Rest In Peace Charlie Holland and Jinking Jonny Jeffers

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Another entertaining podcast. 7 for Mills ?? Have a word with yourself @stupers 🤣 The more I watch Mills play the more I notice he just seems to want to run forward at every opportunity. He has a tendency to make that gentle trot to the corner of the opposition box and seems to be out of position a lot as a result. He offers little variation in the type of runs that he makes and his crossing is usually coming from less dangerous areas I think. How many times have we seen him linking with our winger to get behind the opposition fullback or into the box to get himself or our winger into a much more dangerous position? This has been one of the missing factors for us all season - Link up play and that ball before the final ball that you often talk about.

There were 2 things that you didn’t mention in your review when Gibbo came on, (maybe you were too busy shedding a tear over Mills going off 😂 ). First of all we saw him link with Worrall and feed a great ball inside their left back to set Worrall free into their box to put a cross in. Secondly we saw a nice triangle of play between him, Worrall and Cullen and with a good bit of movement Gibbo got in behind and he dinked a cross to the back post. Granted nothing came of them in the end, but it was 2 passages of play that did something that not one of our other wingers or full backs managed to do all game - getting in behind the opposition and into the penalty box and causing them problems. In ten minutes he showed the different types of runs and options he offers when he links up with our winger. I don’t feel we’ve seen this all season from our fullbacks and wingers, last season that was a big asset to us and brought us goals and assists. 

Im not saying he’s the messiah or the new Gavin Gunning (old OVF joke). I’m saying he offers us a better option in how we want to play in that 4-3-3 system going from back to front and link up play.  I’m actually not even sure we should risk Gibbo for the full 90 at Scunthorpe either, I think we should ease him into the team a bit more gently after his injury. Maybe that’s a debate for your podcast for the Scunthorpe game? 

Here's the Scunthorpe Preview!

We're joined by friend of the show Jord to talk through a few things. We get final thoughts on Walsall at home, talk through the post-match interviews and then have a discussion on a message sent from one of the listeners about the current situation at the club. Before we get into a Scunthorpe preview, we also discuss mental health at this difficult time for lots of people, with Jord who is a local mental health advocate. 

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

17 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Another entertaining podcast. 7 for Mills ?? Have a word with yourself @stupers 🤣 The more I watch Mills play the more I notice he just seems to want to run forward at every opportunity. He has a tendency to make that gentle trot to the corner of the opposition box and seems to be out of position a lot as a result. He offers little variation in the type of runs that he makes and his crossing is usually coming from less dangerous areas I think. How many times have we seen him linking with our winger to get behind the opposition fullback or into the box to get himself or our winger into a much more dangerous position? This has been one of the missing factors for us all season - Link up play and that ball before the final ball that you often talk about.

There were 2 things that you didn’t mention in your review when Gibbo came on, (maybe you were too busy shedding a tear over Mills going off 😂 ). First of all we saw him link with Worrall and feed a great ball inside their left back to set Worrall free into their box to put a cross in. Secondly we saw a nice triangle of play between him, Worrall and Cullen and with a good bit of movement Gibbo got in behind and he dinked a cross to the back post. Granted nothing came of them in the end, but it was 2 passages of play that did something that not one of our other wingers or full backs managed to do all game - getting in behind the opposition and into the penalty box and causing them problems. In ten minutes he showed the different types of runs and options he offers when he links up with our winger. I don’t feel we’ve seen this all season from our fullbacks and wingers, last season that was a big asset to us and brought us goals and assists. 

Im not saying he’s the messiah or the new Gavin Gunning (old OVF joke). I’m saying he offers us a better option in how we want to play in that 4-3-3 system going from back to front and link up play.  I’m actually not even sure we should risk Gibbo for the full 90 at Scunthorpe either, I think we should ease him into the team a bit more gently after his injury. Maybe that’s a debate for your podcast for the Scunthorpe game? 

For Mills, I felt (and still feel) he had a decent game yesterday. He wasn't at fault for any of the goals, I can't really remember a dangerous attack coming down his side either. For a lad that got absolutely rinsed in the reverse fixture, he looked relatively solid. I don't think he's good enough to be starting regularly, and it's a shame he's been forced in to this because the abuse he's got when we haven't really got any other options is a bit wrong. Jonny giving him a 0 annoyed me, because it's just based on previous performances and a dislike for the player than anything else (although Jonny nudged up his mark on reflection as well). His ball retention wasn't great, but he was at least attempting to help going forward. I didn't think he got caught out of position yesterday. 

I certainly wasn't advocating for Mills to start if Gibbo is fit. I like Gibbo, he's got great potential and if he's fit, it's a no-brainer to start him. He offers more, as you say going forward. The full backs have to be able to join the attack when the ball is coming down their side when you play 4-3-3, otherwise you lose a player. That's why for me (and certainly based on Fitzpatrick's performance yesterday) Monty and Gibbo are clearly our best two full-backs. But Mills was unfairly targeted yesterday in my opinion. He ain't good enough usually, but yesterday wasn't an example of that.

Anyway, I've had a fair old bit of stick for my comments on Mills. Some support too on social media so maybe some people thought he was decent as well. I was probably trying to even out Jonny's 0/10. I wasn't feeling great when we started the pod, tough week and watching that performance made it worse. 

We do cover Gibbo on the preview, but found a couple of other issues to discuss as well. Good points from you, all well received!