onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

7 hours ago, stupers said:

Forest Green Review!

We're joined by OneValeFan founder Rob Fielding who gives us his thoughts on the game, and how the manager situation lies now after 2 league games under Pugh. Did Vale play well and give a good away performance, or was it a missed opportunity? We go in depth on the game!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Morning Ale&Vale Podcast team.

Sunday morning listening today and will as always enjoy the banter. Credit to you all for keeping it amusing and factual. Bezza’s watch obviously has all the answers!

UTV

• Like 3

Advert

31 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Enjoyed it again . Not sure about Lipa though...

I knew there'd be at least one @CAVALIER😛

I wish there was some 90 mins videos of that season around . Then we could watch the highest paid player in the squad have a rest in the centre circle every time the opposition attacked. 😦

3 hours ago, robf said:

I knew there'd be at least one @CAVALIER😛

I wish there was some 90 mins videos of that season around . Then we could watch the highest paid player in the squad have a rest in the centre circle every time the opposition attacked. 😦

He wasn’t great but having seen Bob Delgardo etc then he was like Steven Gerrard. 
I liked the reference to Andy Jones who we nearly named child number 2 after. He even scored direct from corners!

Thought Johnny was harsh with his marks for Hurst and let Amoo off lightly, didn't think there was much to choose between them yesterday. 

I would add that when Rodney moved to the left, I think that showed how a 433 should be played with the wide men tucking in close to the striker.  I suppose that's what you get by playing a forward in that position not Hurst who is essentially a left midfielder pushed forward. 

39 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

He wasn’t great but having seen Bob Delgardo etc then he was like Steven Gerrard. 
I liked the reference to Andy Jones who we nearly named child number 2 after. He even scored direct from corners!

As I said I didn't start going to Vale till the likes of Delgado were gone (my first regular season was 82/3) so I couldn't choose a player I hadn't seen. 😉

I'd need a couple of hard drives to list all the dross I've seen wearing a Vale shirt since the early sixties!

Andy Jones was a phenomenal player for us - so strong, powerful and direct. But I always thought his career dipped after he left us. Well, I'm sure it did.

I think it's difficult to play 433 at our level. For a time we did ok under Askey but we hardly ever created loads of chances and hardly ever won games by more than an odd single goal. I can't recall many occasions when we scored 3,4 or 5 but an awful lot of times when we were hanging on grimly at 90 minutes.

The problem chiefly is that the lone striker gets isolated. Unless, as said above, both wingers get close to him sometimes and/or we have a couple of lads able to support him from midfield. Fingers crossed that Taylor can do that. Otherwise it becomes a thankless task and the centre forward is isolated and battling on his own against two centre backs. It happens a lot with us when the gap between him and our midfield is too wide. We never get enough players in the box.

I much prefer two up there and I felt sure that Pope-Rodney would have worked a treat. it's a shame that hasn't happened but maybe Guthrie can step up.

• Like 4

Rob, I was listening to the podcast while driving from Houston to Tulsa today. A very entertaining 45 minutes, which shortened the road a bit. 
I’d like to point out something , if the lads don’t mind. I don’t know what you were speaking into , a regular mic , or pc mic etc, but it sounded great , very warm sounding , just like radio . The other mics sounded very shrill and tin like. Just wondering what the lads speak into. A good mic can make a huge difference to a broadcast. I love the podcasts, and I look forward to them every week. If I can be of any help in the mic Dept. , I’d be glad to help. Thanks to all. 

Edited by Houston Valiant
  • Like 1

Hi Lads,
Maybe a point worth mentioning this week. I bought a 10 game flexI ticket back in the summer, this week I’ve received an e-mail from the club stating that I’ll be able to get the final 11 home games, starting with Walsall on Saturday,free via iFollow codes. Not sure how well this has been communicated by the club other than directly messaging supporters, in case some out there haven’t checked their inboxes.
UTV! Dave.

On 17/01/2021 at 00:44, Dangermouse3 said:

Morning Ale&Vale Podcast team.

Sunday morning listening today and will as always enjoy the banter. Credit to you all for keeping it amusing and factual. Bezza’s watch obviously has all the answers!

UTV

Ha! That watch needs its own podcast!

On 17/01/2021 at 04:57, Surrey Vale Fan 82 said:

Thought Johnny was harsh with his marks for Hurst and let Amoo off lightly, didn't think there was much to choose between them yesterday. 

I would add that when Rodney moved to the left, I think that showed how a 433 should be played with the wide men tucking in close to the striker.  I suppose that's what you get by playing a forward in that position not Hurst who is essentially a left midfielder pushed forward. 

I think that's an interesting point. If you don't have forwards in those wide positions, is it more of a 4-5-1? It certainly felt more like that under Askey. If you look at Liverpool who are the experts at 4-3-3, a front line of Salah, Firmino and Mane includes 3 forward, who press further up the pitch. 

A great point, I'll bring this up on the next pod. Thanks for the feedback!

7 hours ago, Bradwell Exile said:

Hi Lads,
Maybe a point worth mentioning this week. I bought a 10 game flexI ticket back in the summer, this week I’ve received an e-mail from the club stating that I’ll be able to get the final 11 home games, starting with Walsall on Saturday,free via iFollow codes. Not sure how well this has been communicated by the club other than directly messaging supporters, in case some out there haven’t checked their inboxes.
UTV! Dave.

Hi Dave,

I'll bring it up on the pod. Cheers!

16 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

Rob, I was listening to the podcast while driving from Houston to Tulsa today. A very entertaining 45 minutes, which shortened the road a bit. 
I’d like to point out something , if the lads don’t mind. I don’t know what you were speaking into , a regular mic , or pc mic etc, but it sounded great , very warm sounding , just like radio . The other mics sounded very shrill and tin like. Just wondering what the lads speak into. A good mic can make a huge difference to a broadcast. I love the podcasts, and I look forward to them every week. If I can be of any help in the mic Dept. , I’d be glad to help. Thanks to all. 

Thanks for the feedback mate. We'd appreciate any help in terms of the mic's. I'll message you.

4 hours ago, stupers said:

I think that's an interesting point. If you don't have forwards in those wide positions, is it more of a 4-5-1? It certainly felt more like that under Askey. If you look at Liverpool who are the experts at 4-3-3, a front line of Salah, Firmino and Mane includes 3 forward, who press further up the pitch. 

A great point, I'll bring this up on the next pod. Thanks for the feedback!

There's obviously different ways you can play it; and it depends on the other players available to you, right? How attacking are your fullbacks, where does your width come from, do you mainly attack centrally or from wide? The Liverpool front 3 are world class players with great chemistry, so it looks seamless. We can't decide who the main striker is, which side Worrall should play, whether Amoo will play more than 3 games in a row, whether Monty is a winger or fullback.

Askey prioritised system over players; to me, I can't understand why he didn't look at a 3-5-2/(or even a 3-4-3) to be honest - you could have had Gibbons/Monty on either side, or even Worrall on the right. The defence could have some extra cover for the lack of pace. Joyce would still be part of a 3, playing to his strengths. In a 3-5-2 you could partner up strikers, or even play Amoo and allow him to drift wide and take up those positions allowing a midfielder to break forward into the box. There were plenty of options to offer flexibility.

17 hours ago, The_godfather said:

There's obviously different ways you can play it; and it depends on the other players available to you, right? How attacking are your fullbacks, where does your width come from, do you mainly attack centrally or from wide? The Liverpool front 3 are world class players with great chemistry, so it looks seamless. We can't decide who the main striker is, which side Worrall should play, whether Amoo will play more than 3 games in a row, whether Monty is a winger or fullback.

Askey prioritised system over players; to me, I can't understand why he didn't look at a 3-5-2/(or even a 3-4-3) to be honest - you could have had Gibbons/Monty on either side, or even Worrall on the right. The defence could have some extra cover for the lack of pace. Joyce would still be part of a 3, playing to his strengths. In a 3-5-2 you could partner up strikers, or even play Amoo and allow him to drift wide and take up those positions allowing a midfielder to break forward into the box. There were plenty of options to offer flexibility.

I would agree with that point you've made about Askey prioritising the system, and when you look at his signings they were strange as they never really fitted his preferred system. Aside from Rodney, neither Cullen or Robinson really fit a front 3, so I have found that confusing.

I jest a little when I use Liverpool as a comparison. Like you say, we can't decide who our best three are, so it's always going to look disjointed.

I would also consider us playing 3 at the back, but unless you play a 3-4-3, you're putting Worrall in centre-mid. 

Some great points again, I shall bring this up with the lads on Friday!