onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

Here's the Barrow review (And a Bradford preview!)

Another horrible afternoon as we lose 2-0 to 22nd place Barrow. 1 win 10, and frankly some totally inept performances to run with it. We run through the game, but the overall discussion is whether the manager's position is tenable any longer and there's plenty of frustration all round. Bradford doesn't look easy after they make it 3 wins on the bounce. Let us know what you think!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Just listening to the Barrow review. As is evident from my posts earlier in the thread, i suspect that Mitch hasnt sufdenly become a problem over the last few weeks as a result of hanging around with McKirdy.
I saw with my own eyes that he used to associate with the likes of Miller and Whitfield and were relatively openly taking the piss out of the manager at the end of season presentation in May 2019.
So you have to question the manager in resigning him, and in signing McKirdy in the summer.
McKirdy's reputation was well known, so why would a manager who is renknowned for building a cohesive squad, who all buy into the managers work ethic, sign a player like that? Outside pressure to do so?
Similarly, im not convinced he ever wanted Clarke back at the club. He could have made a move for him before signing Mills if he really wanted him, and i dont think he was that keen even when Gibbo and Mills were out. So why make the signing? Pressure from the fans? Pressure from the owners?
90% of the players Askey has wanted to bring to the club since he came here haven't been good enough. So why on earth would he then go and sign players like Clarke, McKirdy and Robinson when they dont fit with his ethics or what he wants to build?
Something is wrong with the manager/owner relationship. Either its too cosy, or he hasnt got the balls to tell them "no, im not bringing that player to the club".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Just listening to the Barrow review. As is evident from my posts earlier in the thread, i suspect that Mitch hasnt sufdenly become a problem over the last few weeks as a result of hanging around with McKirdy.
I saw with my own eyes that he used to associate with the likes of Miller and Whitfield and were relatively openly taking the piss out of the manager at the end of season presentation in May 2019.
So you have to question the manager in resigning him, and in signing McKirdy in the summer.
McKirdy's reputation was well known, so why would a manager who is renknowned for building a cohesive squad, who all buy into the managers work ethic, sign a player like that? Outside pressure to do so?
Similarly, im not convinced he ever wanted Clarke back at the club. He could have made a move for him before signing Mills if he really wanted him, and i dont think he was that keen even when Gibbo and Mills were out. So why make the signing? Pressure from the fans? Pressure from the owners?
90% of the players Askey has wanted to bring to the club since he came here haven't been good enough. So why on earth would he then go and sign players like Clarke, McKirdy and Robinson when they dont fit with his ethics or what he wants to build?
Something is wrong with the manager/owner relationship. Either its too cosy, or he hasnt got the balls to tell them "no, im not bringing that player to the club".

Great points Rob

Our Bradford review!

A tough point, in difficult conditions. Better at the back, but not much going forward. Where does this leave us now then? We talk through what the game means, and whether the club could or should be more open about the current situation. 

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Our Mansfield preview is now available!

Happy new year everyone! We talk through Carol's New Years statement and what we think it means. Then we have a chat about transfer targets for January and also the danger that we may lose a couple of players. Then into a Mansfield preview! They haven't won at home yet, and got a bounce from switching managers. Is this a winnable game, and what should we do with players returning?

21 hours ago, stupers said:

Our Mansfield preview is now available!

Happy new year everyone! We talk through Carol's New Years statement and what we think it means. Then we have a chat about transfer targets for January and also the danger that we may lose a couple of players. Then into a Mansfield preview! They haven't won at home yet, and got a bounce from switching managers. Is this a winnable game, and what should we do with players returning?

I know you said that after carols statement that you should put aside the debate on the managers future. But there is no way after today’s performance that you can’t not have a discussion on his future. That was terrible. 

Here's our Mansfield review.

Another horrific performance as we gift Mansfield their first home win of the season with a 0-4 defeat. A completely gutless performance with few individual performances if any. We go through where it went wrong, and we revisit the Askey debate after his strange post-match interview.

11 hours ago, toyahw said:

An extra long bonus edition then?  I'll leave it a day or three to avoid breaking crockery.

Ha, fair point! Obviously can't go through it all. Tried our best though. What do you think? It would be interesting to hear some other views. I suspect quite a lot of people who have been more patient (like me) are nearing the end of their tether.

Yesterday’s performance was probably the worst of the season and it’s hard to know where to start, if you’d didn’t laugh you’d cry and I think that’s how the podcast started off because yesterday’s performance was laughable. It was a good listen again. Well done. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Ive long suspected that McKirdy, Robibson and Clarke werent Askey signings or that he was heavily leant on to bring them in.
I also believe he has wanted rid of Pope for a while and has been prevented from doing so.
All that does is send signals to the players that the manager has no authority. When you combine this with the facy that one or two didnt like him in the first place, it has created a situation where the players rule the roost and we have gone from a cohesive unit with a strong dressing room to a circus in a matter of months.
Askey isnt responsible for that, ultimately someone else at the club is. We could play Agatha Christie all day (is it Carol, Patrick, Rudgie, Sinclair, Garlick?) but that wont alter the situation.
Carol needs to hold her hands up and admit the mistakes but ultimately despite it not being down to him and despite plainly having the rug pulled from underneath him, Askey cant fix it, and he has to go.

• Like 1