onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

What on earth do you expect them to do?

Read out the result, Baggers' match report, and passively offer no comment or opinion?

Whatever you say Sloop Joe B.  It is all fine but they sing off the same sheet.  And it get's a bit repetitive after a while for me.  No problem. Just my opinion.  Am I allowed that your royal highness?

Edited by toyahw

Advert

2 hours ago, toyahw said:

Whatever you say Sloop Joe B.  It is all fine but they sing off the same sheet.  And it get's a bit repetitive after a while for me.  No problem. Just my opinion.  Am I allowed that your royal highness?

Can understand the repetitive suggestion, it's hard to keep it fresh when you're previewing/reviewing games. That's why we are trying to add new things in, getting other fans in to do reviews. 

As for the above comments about the lad who joined us on Saturday (Alex Wood). One way we were trying to freshen it up was to get alternative viewpoints. In Alex's defence, he said he was a Vale fan from the start (Born in Folkestone) and I understand he tries to get to games as much as he can pre-lockdown. But he's also a reporter for the Mirror/Express/Star so his work takes him in other directions. We thought collectively he would be a good guest given his profession, and to be fair I thought he was and I enjoyed talking to him. I think adding a fan in every so often to join us to mix it up is my suggestion, and I can see us doing that in the future. We branched out in to getting fans to 2 minute reviews which I like.

Not sure we can do much about being self-opiniated! Having opinions is the entire theory behind doing the pod. I certainly welcome hearing all opinions, and Bez and Jonny certainly differ to me, hence why I asked them to do the pod with me. 

Anyway, thanks for listening up to this point. Sorry we didn't do something more to your taste, but I think we have a good format that adds to what's already out there in terms of the Sentinel and Radio Stoke coverage. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wrex said:

48 minutes into the Bolton review. You said the game against Wolves U21 was important to Askey keeping his job but tbf you said that's because of how Carol will view it and not yourselves

Ah, that was Jonny! I've just listened back. I said 'who cares' in the background!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stupers said:

Can understand the repetitive suggestion, it's hard to keep it fresh when you're previewing/reviewing games. That's why we are trying to add new things in, getting other fans in to do reviews. 

As for the above comments about the lad who joined us on Saturday (Alex Wood). One way we were trying to freshen it up was to get alternative viewpoints. In Alex's defence, he said he was a Vale fan from the start (Born in Folkestone) and I understand he tries to get to games as much as he can pre-lockdown. But he's also a reporter for the Mirror/Express/Star so his work takes him in other directions. We thought collectively he would be a good guest given his profession, and to be fair I thought he was and I enjoyed talking to him. I think adding a fan in every so often to join us to mix it up is my suggestion, and I can see us doing that in the future. We branched out in to getting fans to 2 minute reviews which I like.

Not sure we can do much about being self-opiniated! Having opinions is the entire theory behind doing the pod. I certainly welcome hearing all opinions, and Bez and Jonny certainly differ to me, hence why I asked them to do the pod with me. 

Anyway, thanks for listening up to this point. Sorry we didn't do something more to your taste, but I think we have a good format that adds to what's already out there in terms of the Sentinel and Radio Stoke coverage. 

Can't believe you've gotten stick for 1, having opinions on the Vale, and 2, having a national sports journalist on and obviously discussing wider football issues.

It's a good pod lads. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

That's all fine but your initial criticism wasn't this at all. It was that it was 'too opinionated', which I stand by as being bizarre criticism for a sports podcast.

Edited by Joe B

It’s good to get an extra voice on there, didn’t he say he’d been to Arsenal with his kids and father in law whos a fan of them? His knowledge of the Vale and the squad seemed fine to me though so I didn’t mind him at all. I must admit to missing the Man U reference though.

I think the one comment within that podcast that hit home was that this squad has been shaped around Pope, that is so true and we’ve struggled to find another way of playing without him and indeed a replacement for him. 

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

Good evening toyahw,

I hope one is well on this fine and one must say mild Decemeber evening. 7 degrees. Maybe Al Gore had a point about the old climate change after all.

The great thing about our great nation is we welcome healthy debate, and if not derogatory, all opinions are welcomed. Even if they are wrong, like yours here.

One must say that as a legitimate enthusiast of both Ale and Port Vale, the gentlemen have done a fantastic job in giving one's self some way to spend an hour or so of his time away from the dark and troubled times we so find ourselves in. One would imagine that this would be the case for many others also.

As a result, one would say the gentlemen should be commended for their efforts.

All the very best,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Can't believe you've gotten stick for 1, having opinions on the Vale, and 2, having a national sports journalist on and obviously discussing wider football issues.

It's a good pod lads. 

Thanks Joe, we appreciate it. All good getting some negative feedback as well, can't win em all!

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

It’s good to get an extra voice on there, didn’t he say he’d been to Arsenal with his kids and father in law whos a fan of them? His knowledge of the Vale and the squad seemed fine to me though so I didn’t mind him at all. I must admit to missing the Man U reference though.

I think the one comment within that podcast that hit home was that this squad has been shaped around Pope, that is so true and we’ve struggled to find another way of playing without him and indeed a replacement for him. 

Cheers matey, I also thought he was decent guest as well. Yes the Arsenal reference was to do with his future father-in-law as opposed to him being an Arsenal fan. I must admit it's rare I go back and listen to our pods, but I don't remember Man U being brought up either. Bezza always listens so I'll see what he heard!

25 minutes ago, stupers said:

Hi Jeff,

Much appreciated. We like you too.

Thanks

Stuart

Good evening stupers,

One would like to take the time to wish you all the best over the festive period.

You and the the gentlemen have done a sterling job.

The podcast has taken over Tony Christie's Greatest Hits as one's most listened to audio on the old Spotify machine.

All the very best,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff.
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2020 at 10:15, toyahw said:

I'm not having a Vale podcast with some cockney tit talking about Arse and Man U. End of. We hear quite enough about them.

Cheers for the feedback. A few points here. 

1) Can't help my accent I'm afraid.

2) I live in north London and very occasionally watch Arsenal with my father in law.

3) I don't know how on earth you got the impression that I'm a Man Utd fan. United weren't even mentioned - at any point. 

4) I've been supporting Vale for the best part of 25 years now. 

5) The Ale and Vale lads are doing a cracking job with the pod. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Cheers for the feedback. A few points here. 

1) Can't help my accent I'm afraid.

2) I live in north London and very occasionally watch Arsenal with my father in law.

3) I don't know how on earth you got the impression that I'm a Man Utd fan. United weren't even mentioned - at any point. 

4) I've been supporting Vale for the best part of 25 years now. 

5) The Ale and Vale lads are doing a cracking job with the pod. 

I thought you came across well Alex and I enjoyed the pod. 

• Like 3