onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Losing certainly makes for a more spicy podcast and it provided a highly charged debate on Askeys future too. I don’t think we should be changing manager just yet, I agree that he’s earned the time to put it right. But with so much disruption with players injured or suddenly having to isolate it isn’t helping team continuity either. Having to change manager would be a huge decision for our owners to take, especially given their own inexperience. I’d give him til January personally. 

I’m tempted to side with Stu on those late winners, it’s not down to players not being bothered, it’s about switching off for a split second and being punished. Whoever was marking Ellison at the corner did it yesterday, the balls gone past them and they’ve switched off and have no idea where Ellison has gone. Yes he got a lucky ricochet but we’ve not been alive to it. You could maybe argue that a factor in the Tranmere and Newport late goals is that we’ve worked so hard with a man down for the last 30 mins that we were physically and mentally tired and just succumbed to all the pressure from the opposition.

I think it was Stu who touched on Clark’s performances, IMO his work rate has been way down on what it should be as a fullback. He isn’t adding enough energy and drive, and I don’t mean the odd 40 yard aimless cross field run on his own where he loses the ball or ends up out of position. I’m talking about providing the support and impetus for us by coming from deep areas where we pin opposition fullbacks in and we’re seeing our fullbacks get around our winger or make runs inside. We aren’t seeing it enough and I’m going to guess that his overall runs and statistics aren’t up at the levels they should be. Not only that I think defensively he has had some problems positionally or with wingers that have seen the opposition create chances or even score. He hasn’t hit the levels we know he can IMO. 

It’s a pity Monty got moved yesterday with Conlon going off, which was possibly much more disruptive a change than it should have been. I can understand him not playing Mckirdy on the wing with Monty because I’m convinced that Worrall is there to help Monty out defensively. But I think just a straight swap with Mckirdy going as a ten and having Burgess and Manny be more disciplined defensively may have worked. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Advert

21 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Losing certainly makes for a more spicy podcast and it provided a highly charged debate on Askeys future too. I don’t think we should be changing manager just yet, I agree that he’s earned the time to put it right. But with so much disruption with players injured or suddenly having to isolate it isn’t helping team continuity either. Having to change manager would be a huge decision for our owners to take, especially given their own inexperience. I’d give him til January personally. 

I’m tempted to side with Stu on those late winners, it’s not down to players not being bothered, it’s about switching off for a split second and being punished. Whoever was marking Ellison at the corner did it yesterday, the balls gone past them and they’ve switched off and have no idea where Ellison has gone. Yes he got a lucky ricochet but we’ve not been alive to it. You could maybe argue that a factor in the Tranmere and Newport late goals is that we’ve worked so hard with a man down for the last 30 mins that we were physically and mentally tired and just succumbed to all the pressure from the opposition.

I think it was Stu who touched on Clark’s performances, IMO his work rate has been way down on what it should be as a fullback. He isn’t adding enough energy and drive, and I don’t mean the odd 40 yard aimless cross field run on his own where he loses the ball or ends up out of position. I’m talking about providing the support and impetus for us by coming from deep areas where we pin opposition fullbacks in and we’re seeing our fullbacks get around our winger or make runs inside. We aren’t seeing it enough and I’m going to guess that his overall runs and statistics aren’t up at the levels they should be. Not only that I think defensively he has had some problems positionally or with wingers that have seen the opposition create chances or even score. He hasn’t hit the levels we know he can IMO. 

It’s a pity Monty got moved yesterday with Conlon going off, which was possibly much more disruptive a change than it should have been. I can understand him not playing Mckirdy on the wing with Monty because I’m convinced that Worrall is there to help Monty out defensively. But I think just a straight swap with Mckirdy going as a ten and having Burgess and Manny be more disciplined defensively may have worked. 

Thanks! We included your thoughts in the pod!

• Like 1

The Stevenage preview is up!

We go through the Tuesday game, and ask why Stevenage have got off to such a bad start. Then go through what we'd change and our predictions. That's the first 25 mins of the pod! The remainder is going through the John Askey question. Why are fans disgruntled with the manger? We look through his transfer history, man management skills and his tactical nous to go a bit more in-depth. 

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

The Stevenage review is up!

Another dismal night for Vale as we fall to lowly Stevenage. We talk through the game, a terrible first half and not a lot of chances created overall. Can Vale blame the injuries and suspensions, or is it just not good enough? We also get our first fan's view with Jordan giving us his thoughts!

If you're interested in getting your thoughts across in audio format for us to use, let me know and I'll let you know how you do it.

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

• Like 1

If nothing else losing certainly leads to more entertainment value in the podcast. 

After watching that last night I’m erring more on the side of him going sooner rather than later. There are no excuses for our change in style, performance and work rate from what we saw last season. None whatsoever. You can’t tell me that missing Pope, Legge, Gibbo, Amoo and Joyce is the reason for it. Those lads coming in to their places should be up for it and be able to slot in seamlessly and show the same effort, quality and desire that we were used to under Askey. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PV1973 said:

If nothing else losing certainly leads to more entertainment value in the podcast. 

After watching that last night I’m erring more on the side of him going sooner rather than later. There are no excuses for our change in style, performance and work rate from what we saw last season. None whatsoever. You can’t tell me that missing Pope, Legge, Gibbo, Amoo and Joyce is the reason for it. Those lads coming in to their places should be up for it and be able to slot in seamlessly and show the same effort, quality and desire that we were used to under Askey. 

I was absolutely fuming at the final whistle. But we had to wait an hour to record, so I think we'd calmed down a bit by the time we recorded!

Another great podcast lads.

Where do I start with that shower of sh**e last night.  Having calmed down a little and had a think over the past 24 hours, I personally think you can break down our current predicament into three key points:

- Is the manager's performance under scrutiny and is that scrutiny justified?

YES and a resounding YES.  Because the feel good factor of the club has undoubtedly helped over the course of the majority of Askey's tenure, this does not mean that the manager cannot be criticised for what are, at best, abject performances.  And those performances are coming from a squad of players that I genuinely rate in this division as good enough to mount a challenge at the top end of the table. However we have not looked anything like the team we were last season, so I'd suggest to anyone that either teams have sussed out "1 Tactic John", we have drastically under achieved so far, or a bit of both. There's no question any more for me, John Askey's tenure as Port Vale manager is soon to be concluded, as it seems to me that things have run their natural course between him and the club.

- Do the players have to shoulder some of that responsibility and are they equally as culpable as the manager?

I'd have to say that yes they do have to shoulder responsibility for their own performances, however it's the manager that picks the team and will set them up to play against opposition.  It is clear to me that the players are attempting to play Askey ball, but cannot make it work, particularly when teams set up to play counter attack against us.  For 4 games running, we have not looked likely to hurt teams and the manager has not found a way for us to break opposition down.  There is a definite hunger and desire from opposition teams at the moment, who smell blood on a wounded animal and know how to hurt us.  That is galling for me, given the quality we have in the squad.  A special mention for our strikers, 3 of whom we do not play a style that accomodates their own game.  Another season of reliance on a 35 year old centre forward is regression and not progress.

- Do the board consider our current predicament as worthy of a "crisis" regarding the managers position?

Given the clear expectation level (We do not want to be 8th again!) It would seem unlikely to me, given the quite vehiment criticism from a growing number of fans on social media, that the board are not currently discussing the clubs position as a whole, including that of the manager.  It may well be that Carol and the board want Askey to stay in the role, however I think it's time that the club engage with media and supporters a little more and tell us, as they seem to have gone uncharacteristically quiet of late, which you guys quite rightfully brought up on the pod. My personal view is that the managers position has to be under discussion, and a decision either way won't be far away if our current form was to continue. If it does continue, then the board will have to act if they are to match their own ambitions, and look to appoint another manager.

I'm definitively in the Askey Out camp now, and though no one wants to see anyone lose their job, especially at a time like this, there should be no sentiment in football, its a results business and business is quite frankly shocking at present.

Dave.

• Like 1

Great post Dave, it's a fair and level-headed response to the current problems. I also agree that the players seem to have somehow escaped some culpability in all this. Whilst, as you say ultimately this falls on the manager you can't help but feel that most of them didn't turn up Tuesday night which I find unacceptable. We've questioned Askey's ability to motivate them, but sometimes you have to get yourself up for a game. 

I do wonder if the club are aware of the current feeling from some parts of the fanbase. It's always the most critical of supporters who shout the loudest, but I'm seeing a lot of people who I consider 'patient' and 'sensible' Vale fans who have had enough. As I said on the pod, if we were losing, but playing well and being unfortunate then I would be more accepting as I could see light at the end of the tunnel. We're not playing well, and aside from periods during matches we've not strung together a great performance in the first 14 games. That's why I think some people are getting frustrated.

Thanks for saying you're enjoying the podcasts. I'll pass it on to the other lads!

Our Leyton Orient preview is up!

We quickly look back at the Stevenage and Askey's post-match interview, before quickly discussing fans back in the ground (At some point). From there it's in to a Leyton Orient preview, and whilst they've had a couple of good results, all may not be as it seems! A couple of us are positive we can finally stop the rot!

4 hours ago, valesince83 said:

Just been on Spotify check out the review of today's game, but it played the preview again instead, don't know if it's just me

It is getting a bit like groundhog day at the moment. Match preview, can we stop losing? Match review, err we lost again. Feel like giving up at the moment. God only knows how Askey will turn this run around.