onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

The recent Manny debate between Bez and Jonny was spot on. There’s no point saying he’s the best midfielder when we can’t get enough games out of him, we can’t build a team around someone like that. 

The second part of the Adam Yates interview I thought was very revealing and there were a lot of points that I found interesting.....

We all knew the Bruno experiment was Smurfs doing and he confirms that players were signed on the basis of highlight reels that can make anyone look good. David Kelly coming in and disrupting the dressing room was a detail that he thought didn’t help Brown and I wonder what he did that was so disruptive? Laurie Wilson going vegan and it changing him as a player. His comments about the local lads in the team were spot on for me, none of this knee jerk reaction and over the top comments we see after a game, just matter of fact observations that give an insight into how those players are regarded. In fact I’d apply that to every player he discussed, talking about what each player brought to the club and their strengths and weaknesses, in particular the Dodds discussion too. In a way that and his comments about being on the radio show the level of detail and understanding of players roles that some fans just don’t seem to be able to grasp. I liked his comments about the boo boys too and his desire to keep his place. 

I hope you can get more ex players on. 

Edited by PV1973

Advert

@stupersjust listened through your chat with Gabriel Sutton online and your comments on Gibbo giving away possession jumped out at me, because you talked about the same stuff with yatesy. But as for that costing us goals I could only think of the Forest Green game at home where he miscontrolled it on the edge of the box and the ball ran away from him for their lad to score. I was struggling to think of other instances. 

22 hours ago, PV1973 said:

@stupersJust seen the ale and the vale lads on video on Twitter. Let me say that your voices do not match the faces that I had in my minds eye. I had beza down as a bald bloke in his mid 40s 😀

Ha ha! He says he's a step up from a bald 40 year old bloke!

Edited by stupers

22 hours ago, PV1973 said:

@stupersjust listened through your chat with Gabriel Sutton online and your comments on Gibbo giving away possession jumped out at me, because you talked about the same stuff with yatesy. But as for that costing us goals I could only think of the Forest Green game at home where he miscontrolled it on the edge of the box and the ball ran away from him for their lad to score. I was struggling to think of other instances. 

I genuinely have more in my mind that just one v Forest Green. I can remember him something similar v Morecambe in recent seasons. Like I said, I think 95% of the time it doesn't result in a goal as he tends to be able to get back and make amends. It's just something i've picked up on in the last couple of years. He's a good player, good defender and I think he's useful going forward. But I think he is careless with the ball at times - I've seen halves of football where I wonder if he's completed a pass or not. If he's going to get better (And I think he will) then that's his area of improvement. 

The Tranmere preview is up!

We recorded early, so some confusion on past/present/future tense! We talk rearrange fixtures, and money running out in the EFL. We discuss who is the best striker at the club currently, and how to solve Manny's injuries in the long term. Then we get into a Tranmere preview, whether their managerial change has made a difference and how dangerous they could be given they were fancied strongly at the start of the season!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

On 12/11/2020 at 21:28, stupers said:

I genuinely have more in my mind that just one v Forest Green. I can remember him something similar v Morecambe in recent seasons. Like I said, I think 95% of the time it doesn't result in a goal as he tends to be able to get back and make amends. It's just something i've picked up on in the last couple of years. He's a good player, good defender and I think he's useful going forward. But I think he is careless with the ball at times - I've seen halves of football where I wonder if he's completed a pass or not. If he's going to get better (And I think he will) then that's his area of improvement. 

I'm not having that. Yeh he gives the ball away now and again but no more than anyone else. And he is busy doing stuff, not backwards and sideways. More shocked he is a massive Sht fan. Oh well turn a blind eye on that one. Good luck getting back soon Gibbo. Class act.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by toyahw

On 13/11/2020 at 17:34, toyahw said:

I'm not having that. Yeh he gives the ball away now and again but no more than anyone else. And he is busy doing stuff, not backwards and sideways. More shocked he is a massive Sht fan. Oh well turn a blind eye on that one. Good luck getting back soon Gibbo. Class act.

Keep up the good work.

Fair play, just something I've noticed from him!

The Scunthorpe preview!

We quickly touch base on the Tranmere game now we've calmed down a bit. We talk about overreactions and the ref one more time before we let it go. Then into the Scunny preview. We've already beaten them, can we do it again? And how many changes is too many?

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

And the Scunthorpe review!

2 defeats in a row as Vale fall to a wonderstrike from Scunthorpe United. Do Vale have a confidence crisis? Lack of creativity a problem again as Vale fail to find a way through a stubborn Scunthorpe team. We're joined by the excellent Ed Walker of the D3D4 Podcast who watched the game!

What did people think? I'm not that disappointed with with the results overall. 19 points from 12 games is the bottom end of what I would have expected. But the performances for me, don't reflect well. We simply don't create enough chances to win games most weeks. I've always thought we have trouble getting the ball into players so they can create chances, but I also think now that we don't necessarily have a striker who can play the way Askey wants to play, and when he's switched it around up top, it hasn't gone well (Aside from Pope at Southend). 

Troubling times, how do we get back on track? I think it's tweaks, not wholesale changes required. 

Good to get another more neutral viewpoint on in that Scunthorpe podcast to mix things up a bit. I think Johnny’s ratings were pretty bang on. One thing that maybe was a bit understated was how well Legge and Brown did for their chance that hit the post, I know that Brown got lucky with the rebound but he’s narrowed the angle enough to give their lad not a lot to aim at. Legge has seen that their lad is free at the back post, if you watch it you seen him have a glance around as he’s backtracking, he’s then forced their forward to shoot instead of passing it and has made sure he’s kept him as wide as he possibly can in that situation. One thing of note in there is that Clark is absolutely miles out of position which has left their winger free at the back. So I thought that was good defensive work from Brown and Legge. 

11 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Good to get another more neutral viewpoint on in that Scunthorpe podcast to mix things up a bit. I think Johnny’s ratings were pretty bang on. One thing that maybe was a bit understated was how well Legge and Brown did for their chance that hit the post, I know that Brown got lucky with the rebound but he’s narrowed the angle enough to give their lad not a lot to aim at. Legge has seen that their lad is free at the back post, if you watch it you seen him have a glance around as he’s backtracking, he’s then forced their forward to shoot instead of passing it and has made sure he’s kept him as wide as he possibly can in that situation. One thing of note in there is that Clark is absolutely miles out of position which has left their winger free at the back. So I thought that was good defensive work from Brown and Legge. 

I have to agree, Leggy did a great job there. I did try and emphasise it, perhaps it got last in the furore. As you say, he was forced to shoot. Now he almost got it bang on, but it was still the most difficult option when he got there, thanks to Legge and Brown. 

• Like 1

The Newport preview!

We tried but Jonny was unresponsive, so Stu and Bezza went through the weeks news including fans back in (Again!) and the fallout and criticism from fans of the Scunthorpe game. We discuss how we'd fix it before getting into what to expect from table-topping Newport. One of us thinks they're not all they're cracked up to be and Vale can sneak a win!

Newport review!

Honestly, how many 96th minute winners can you concede in a season?! We cover the game, the red card, the subs etc. We then get deep into whether Askey is in trouble or not. It would be great to get some views on Askey before we record the Stevenage preview on Sunday! 

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts. And here! https://aleandthevale.podbean.com