onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

11 hours ago, stupers said:

Just Jonny and Bez for a Cambridge review! A 3-1 defeat. Did you see good signs from the performance? Trevor Kettle was his usual self with some baffling decisions throughout the match as ever! Did Askey leave it late for subs? The lads stay honest but positive!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Spot on with the review, gents. I think some people on this forum should give it a listen because the overreaction has been pathetic.

Advert

I'm not one for over reaction and cant be doing with hysteria, but feel you are being overly kind in your assessments lads. I think it might be down to the Carol factor, and that nobody wants to be critical when we had such a feel good factor around the club in pre season. But for me serious questions are going to have to be asked if things don't improve quickly.

Yes we have got injuries, but a lot of has been made of our squad depth, and as such we should be in a position to cover those injuries, so its not really an excuse this season. 

too many players are under performing, and for a team with four (supposed) quality strikers we should be scoring a lot more goals than we are. Worrall's end product hasn't been good enough, from what I've seen so far Whitehead hasn't got the quality required. Burgess has got that quality but he isn't showing it for whatever reason. we don't look incisive enough and for all our hustle and bustle we aren't creating the chances we should be. 

The squad has been heavily invested in, and it was widely anticipated we would be a top 6 side this season. Currently we look a lower mid table team, and it needs sorting quickly.

5 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

I'm not one for over reaction and cant be doing with hysteria, but feel you are being overly kind in your assessments lads. I think it might be down to the Carol factor, and that nobody wants to be critical when we had such a feel good factor around the club in pre season. But for me serious questions are going to have to be asked if things don't improve quickly.

Yes we have got injuries, but a lot of has been made of our squad depth, and as such we should be in a position to cover those injuries, so its not really an excuse this season. 

too many players are under performing, and for a team with four (supposed) quality strikers we should be scoring a lot more goals than we are. Worrall's end product hasn't been good enough, from what I've seen so far Whitehead hasn't got the quality required. Burgess has got that quality but he isn't showing it for whatever reason. we don't look incisive enough and for all our hustle and bustle we aren't creating the chances we should be. 

The squad has been heavily invested in, and it was widely anticipated we would be a top 6 side this season. Currently we look a lower mid table team, and it needs sorting quickly.

I don't think that's the case if I'm honest. The Harrogate/Morecambe/Carlisle review pods are a clear indicator that we will be constructively critical where necessary, and sometimes overly harsh. Nowt to do with Carol, we have no affiliation with the club beyond being supporters. I tend to be more patient around things, the other two not so much as it turns out. Perhaps they toned it down as I wasn't there last night.

I don't think injuries are an excuse. Yep, got some players missing but the players are fit enough to win matches. Cambridge are doing well this season, I wasn't surprised we lost (I predicted 2-0 so I at least got the margin right).

I saw earlier that all the sides we've played so far are in the top half, of which 5 are in the top 7. I wouldn't have predicted that those teams would have done so well at the start of the season, so maybe we've played teams when they're on the up as opposed to where they'll eventually finish. We're not playing great at the moment, not enough chances created and by that I mean, the ball that goes to the player who creates the chance isn't good enough. I think that comes with confidence, and we don't have a lot of it right now.

I think we need a couple of games against teams not doing so well, build confidence back up and get back on track. I think we need to inject some pace in to the forward line and play fast. I do think the Carlisle game knocked us a lot. The switch to 4-4-2 was a mess, we should have stuck to our system. I'm confident we're a top 7 team as I was at the start of the season. Teams go through rough patches and come out better. The fact ours is early is a surprise, but the season is long and we can get back into it.

1 hour ago, Surrey Vale Fan 82 said:

Taking your point about the dark arts on board lads and rewatching their penalty I'm 100% convinced if Conlon spins around, holds his ankle and squeals when he makes contact with Hannat we would have been talking about a red card for Luke instead of a Cambridge penalty. That's what would other teams would have done.

Possibly true. We're not good at that. Askey has us playing hard but honest. It seems unlikely we have the players to change tack.

Thanks for listening by the way!

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Still enjoying it lads, so keep up the good work. Might be an idea to mix it up a bit and have a "mystery" third person who might have a different take? Could get a bit "samey" otherwise.

I think so too. I'll discuss it with the lads and see what we can do. Appreciate the feedback!

Hi Stu, I wasn't trying to suggest that you guys were not laying into the Cambridge performance because you'd had Carol on as a guest. More that the fans in general are giving Askey a bit more slack than they normally would because they don't want to be seen to be overly critical due to the massive effort Carol and her team have put in.
Given that huge effort from the owners I think we all deserve a bit better from the team than we are currently getting. It's not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely below expectations.

9 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Hi Stu, I wasn't trying to suggest that you guys were not laying into the Cambridge performance because you'd had Carol on as a guest. More that the fans in general are giving Askey a bit more slack than they normally would because they don't want to be seen to be overly critical due to the massive effort Carol and her team have put in.
Given that huge effort from the owners I think we all deserve a bit better from the team than we are currently getting. It's not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely below expectations.

I totally agree we should be getting more out of them. I think we're a playoff team and aren't playing like it currently. I'd like to get us to the end of October and see where we are after that. 10 games is usually a good marker as to how we're doing.

Enjoyed that one this week (no offence Stu)  because it just shows how we all see games differently. I thought that whilst we did have a few half chances that we scuffed at, I don’t think we’re anywhere near our levels of last season in terms of attacking play, and that the boys went a bit over the top in their praise for our attacking play at Cambridge. I don’t think we’re getting behind teams, forcing mistakes from sides in dangerous areas, getting good crosses into the box, seeing players breaking the lines at the opposition defence or even getting players into good positions in the box through our own play.

I also think some of the ratings were a bit generous and that leads me into our support play and general attacking play too. One of the things that Askey spoke about last season was they were working on ways to get players into good positions in the box, we did that with little triangles of play down both wings that either ended up with a winger, full back or a Burgess or Taylor breaking into the box or making a good angle for a ball in to a forward. You’ve only got to look back at highlights of games last season to see the amount of chances we created and goals we scored by playing this way. This season the only game we’ve played like that was at Wigan. In the rest of the games we just haven’t seen it. Which leads me to the ratings of players in those areas that should be offering more of a threat in how we attack. On the left we had Fitzpatrick, Monty and Conlon, I don’t recall once seeing those 3 link up to work an opportunity. When we did I felt it was down to Montys individual endeavours more than team play. But he totally faded out of the game in the second half. Fitzpatrick as steady as he was (he did well defensively) just doesn’t break past his winger to offer anything different. On the right we all know Clark is a good player, but I think he got found out a bit at times defensively, but apart from a couple of individuals runs where he lost the ball he and Worrall played like strangers, he didn’t make a run around him or make a run on the inside to work an opportunity and I don’t think he offered much at all in the way of an attacking threat as a combination with Worrall. Second half our link up play and any threat down the right was non existent. Maybe part of that problem is Worrall being out of form? We also didn’t see Whitehead or Joyce get involved with them either which would free up a winger or fullback to make that run.

To me we are nowhere near the levels we were last season when we  had Monty, Clark, Gibbo, Worrall and Amoo as key players in our attacking play. We don’t seem to be firing at all in that regard or playing like they know what each to other is going to do. Like I said, watch highlights of last season and you can see what I’m talking about and what we are lacking going forward.

Maybe I’m being too harsh and it may take a few games for us to get going? Maybe having no Taylor is a bigger miss to our squad? Maybe it’s showing that we can’t afford for key players like Worrall to have a dip in form. 

Edited by PV1973

The Oldham preview is up!

Injury news and cardboard cutouts organised by SVA to support the Foundation on the news items, along with whether it's unwarranted for Askey to be getting criticised for how Vale have started the season. After that we get in to the Oldham, with some lively debate on whether we're desperate for points at this stage. Let us know what you think!

Available on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (Plus many more). Also here https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

I liked the spikiness of Johnny (I think) when you were discussing points accrued by ten games. Maybe it was the early morning start? But it added a bit more to the debate.

I think you got the teams spot on with what we have, Monty whilst not the best full back in the world is better when he pushes on and supports the play. So him and Clarke should be nailed on as fullbacks if they can get their attacking game going. Whitehead has had 2 bad games in a row and couldn’t complain if he lost his place. 

Oldham review is up!

A win away at Oldham! A much better performance led to a victory. A strong performance from the returning David Amoo was a big plus, along with some fine efforts across the board. Is this a springboard for the season? Stu, Jonny and Bez discuss!

On 23/10/2020 at 12:20, PV1973 said:

I liked the spikiness of Johnny (I think) when you were discussing points accrued by ten games. Maybe it was the early morning start? But it added a bit more to the debate.

I think you got the teams spot on with what we have, Monty whilst not the best full back in the world is better when he pushes on and supports the play. So him and Clarke should be nailed on as fullbacks if they can get their attacking game going. Whitehead has had 2 bad games in a row and couldn’t complain if he lost his place. 

Yes he was a bit spiky yesterday! I like having a debate with Jonny because I know we see things differently. That's part of the reason I suggested doing the pod with him! At the end of the day, an improved performance will eventually lead to better results which is what we saw today. I hope after 10 games theres another 6 points on that total. It'll make that table much easier to look at after 10 games. 

I think you use Montano for games where we want to be on the front foot, Fitzpatrick when you're going to be more defensive. Great we have those options, just need the performances and results to go with them!

The Cheltenham preview is up! No Bezza, so we quickly chat about statistics and how things look for Vale on that score. Then we delve in to Cheltenham, a team that had some great battles with Vale last year. They've started well, but can Vale put back to back wins together? We also reveal that we'll be interviewing an ex-Vale player this week. Find out who on the pod!