onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

An best Vale XI from my time as a fan is such a hard thing to do. I could change it 100 times and still not be happy with it. I've gone for...

GK Neville Southall
RB Simon Mills
LB Darren Hughes
CB Dean Glover
CB Neil Aspin
CM Andy Porter
CM Robbie Earle
LW Steve Guppy
RW Mark Chamberlain
ST Andy Jones
ST Tony Naylor

Subs

GK Mark Goodlad
CB Phil Sproson
CM Robin Van Der Laan
CM Ray Walker
ST Martin Foyle.

So many Vale legends and personal favourites I could have made a whole new team with the players I've had to leave out.

• Like 1

Advert

Forgot to add my reasoning...

Southall -was just head and shoulders above any keeper we'll ever see at Vale in my lifetime.

Full backs - both were basically defensive wingers. Hughes had blistering pace, both could cross a ball accurately and Simon Simon was a cult hero with the best chant for any player while I've been a supporter.

Centre Halves - Aspo was hard as nails and would run through a brick wall for the team (even played on after that horror tackle from Steve Foley in 92). Deano was so cultured and comfortable on the ball, never seemed in any difficulty in any situation.

Midfield- You need a ball winner and a playmaker. Goober was a terrier, knew the dark outs and wasn't afraid to use them, but he could play a bit too. Robbie was just class, it was a toss up between him and Ray Walker but Robbie's goalscoring ability got him in there (Ian Taylor missed out as a result)

Wingers - Chamberlain went on to play for England within months of being in Div 4 with us, that tells you all you need to know.
Guppy gets in ahead of both McCarthy and Ainsworth because he had more trickery, was a better crosser of the ball.

Strikers - Jones just on pure goals to game ratio. My Dad knows nothing about football, but even he stopped asking me who had scored for Vale when I got in from the games circa 87. Because he knew the inevitable answer .... Andy Jones.
Naylor was a pocket genius... Just look at the goal v Sunderland and that tells you all you need to know.

Subs - Goodlad - Underated due to the era he followed
Sproson - Club legend
Van Der Laan - another legend, had it all, a tackle, a pass, and goals.
Foyle - Less goals than Pope but just such a more skillful player who played at at a much higher standard
Walker- Vision.... Saw things happening on a football pitch about 10 seconds before anyone else did.

• Like 1

Episode 14 is out now!

We're back, and we run through the latest happenings at Port Vale including:

- A pre-season win at Fleetwood

- Returning to the stadium

- Fixtures release

- Nicky Maynard maybe????

- New kit

Then we go in to our all-time Vale XIs. Criteria was set that we would select players that played since we started going, in a 4-4-2 formation. A bit of debate, a couple of surprises so well worth a listen!

Please subscribe and pass on to your friends!

If you have a quick 30 seconds or so, feedback on the length of the pods would be great. We're conscious that we can go over an hour, and that maybe too much! Let us know!

Available as ever on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (And some other platforms as well!). Also you can listen on the Podbean app or on the website at https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Episode 15 is out now!

Only a week to go before we can actually talk about competitive football, and as one of us didn't see the Rochdale game, we have friend of the show Nathan on to fill the void for the news section including:

- Penalty-fest v Rochdale
- Season ticket sales
- 3 new signings, but none of them are Nicky Maynard (And one of us is not happy!)

Then it's our season preview. We each predict the top 7 in League Two, along with who we think will get relegated. We also have a go at getting into John Askey's mind and seeing what team will start v Crawley in the 1st league game.

(We're switching to our in-season schedule of recording pre-game (Thursday/Friday) and then after the game (Saturday). So if you are after a bit more Vale talk, and you know anyone else who would be then please pass this pod on. We'll be having ways of interacting with the pod and getting your views across that will be announced on the preview show for the Scunthorpe game!

Available as ever on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (And some other platforms as well!). Also you can listen on the Podbean app or on the website at https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

Enjoyed the latest episode again. On the subject of Maynard, its easy to blame the agent for him moving for more money, but that is his job after all - to get the player the best deal for him to have options. But whoever it was that said its Maynards decision on his future is bang on. If he really wanted to come and play for us then he would have done.

This one just shows how quickly things can change in football as the Browne segment very quickly became redundant, but it did show how well he had done for us in preseason.

On 01/09/2020 at 02:25, PV1973 said:

Enjoyed the latest episode again. On the subject of Maynard, its easy to blame the agent for him moving for more money, but that is his job after all - to get the player the best deal for him to have options. But whoever it was that said its Maynards decision on his future is bang on. If he really wanted to come and play for us then he would have done.

This one just shows how quickly things can change in football as the Browne segment very quickly became redundant, but it did show how well he had done for us in preseason.

Yeah that was me about Maynard. Ultimately a player can make a decision for himself and it doesn't have to be based on money. I can see why, at 33 he's thinking this might be a last hurrah money wise, but he's played at some decent clubs. If he's quibbling over a couple of hundred quid a week at 33, then something went wrong financially. With his career, he should be picking where he enjoys to play. Perhaps that is Mansfield, but if it was why entertain talking to us!

Agreed it's tough when you the stories change. We recorded the news section straight after the Rochdale game (Ironically for freshness in terms of talking about the match!) only to get clobbered with the Rhys Browne news later that day! Can't win em all. Perhaps we'll be luckier now we're going to 2 a week

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tapper said:

Some one thinks that Nicky Maynard is a <ovf censored> house! hahahahahahahahaha😀😀 Thanks for these podcasts. The theme music could do with being a hire bitrate. sounds a bit crappy. I am going have to get in  jonny's pub one of these days.

Get yourself in there, Bezza is usually propping up the bar!

Regarding the theme, it's the recording we have from the band. I quite like the 'rustic' recording though!

Episode 16 is out now!

Jonny and Stu are missing Bezza for this one, as he couldn't drag himself out of the pub! We cover the latest news from Vale Park on another busy week, and then dive in to a preview for the Scunthorpe game (Finally a proper game to talk about!)

Any feedback on the preview part for us? Too long/short? Any ideas for additional segments? We're open to ideas! 

Available as ever on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (And some other platforms as well!). Also you can listen on the Podbean app or on the website at https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

And hot on the heels of the preview, the latest pod is out now!

We start the season with a win! Goals from Zack Mills and Theo Robinson get the job done at Scunny and we're in the hat for the 2nd round of the League Cup for the 1st time since 2015! Listen to our review of the game, Phil Bowers giving his views and Jonny's baby in the background!