onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

29 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Plenty of ex-players to go for Stupers if you can get them. I'd love to hear how Simon Simon Mills ended up as a drayman, and how he felt about the "no hair" chant. When he had plenty of hair. Just not necessarily in the right places.

Keep up the good work. It is nice to see that your efforts are being appreciated.

Now, if you could find Keith Ryder - that would be a blockbuster.

I'd like to be in a room with him for a Keith Ryder one, perhaps a live podcast with an audience and no escape! I'm interested in the business side of things, so we weigh that up with the other two who want a bit more of the playing side looked at. Simon Mills! Just before/about the time I started going. Bradley Sandeman replaced him for the 92/93 season didn't he? 

We really appreciate the nice words. I don't think we'd have kept at it if people were telling us it was rubbish, so to basically just getting good feedback is giving us a nice, warm glow. I keep an eye on the listening numbers, and to be fair it turns out people will listen to anything we put out! Turns out even Talksport have found us, as Jonny was on there talking about the kit with Hawksby & Jacobs earlier! 

If people want things, we'll do our best to get it done. We're having a scheduling catchup this week to try and plan ahead for a bit. I'll put your ideas in, I can't promise Keith Ryder though. Would Perry Deakin do instead?!

Advert

He was, replaced by Andy Hill when we really got good, but still a good player.

Me and the lads have just been having a chat about an upcoming pod idea that we've got. I feel sad for Jonny, he started watching in the LDV season. A couple of seasons apart, it's been a pretty bad 20 years!

Last bit of arse licking mate before I start slagging your podcast off. I think the fact that it is well done, and not ranting stuff, you will have much more chance of getting people on. I initially thought you would soon run out of material. But thinking about it, nah. Plenty to go at.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Similarly Bruno.... Why the sudden drop off after a promising start? Was Brown involved in that to further his own opportunities.

At the time I was hearing credible stories that Brown was kept on by smurf for continuity from the Page era. But Brown as a decision maker was ostracised by Bruno and his assistants and so he had no real say in team affairs. I also heard that Brown was the go to man for the players when the coaching methods and tactics started to be questioned and that Brown was then feeding the dressing issues back to the chairman. 

12 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Not a good time to become a Vale fan emoji1.png. I was lucky enough to start going in the early 80's so got all the glory years in my teens and early 20's.

you should have been around in the 50s 60s great times were had home and away

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 15:05, toyahw said:

Last bit of arse licking mate before I start slagging your podcast off. I think the fact that it is well done, and not ranting stuff, you will have much more chance of getting people on. I initially thought you would soon run out of material. But thinking about it, nah. Plenty to go at.

Well the issue with some media is that they purposely look to create conflict within the studio in order to make it 'entertaining'. We're definitely not going to do that. I won't say which of the three each one is, but one of us is more likely to have knee-jerk reactions, one is very level-headed and one errs on the side of patience (Perhaps for too long). So naturally, we're going to have some disagreements. The fact we've known each other 10+ years and respect that each other has a different but valid viewpoint will hopefully show across, even when the games start!

I too thought we would run out of things to talk about during this time. But having guests on, and things happening externally in football help to fill the void. Desperately looking forward to some actual football to talk about though. 1 month today!

On 11/08/2020 at 08:28, PV1973 said:

At the time I was hearing credible stories that Brown was kept on by smurf for continuity from the Page era. But Brown as a decision maker was ostracised by Bruno and his assistants and so he had no real say in team affairs. I also heard that Brown was the go to man for the players when the coaching methods and tactics started to be questioned and that Brown was then feeding the dressing issues back to the chairman. 

i liked brown, he had good  contacts and given time, would have bought some good players to the club. what i didnt like was the constant bickering with the linesmen and line ref. after all he was a great professional and competitive player. im suprised some team hanst picked him up, and given him a chance, as for bruno and company, the mind boggles! at least it came good with askey,

15 hours ago, geoff1 said:

im suprised some team hanst picked him up, and given him a chance

34 games, 6 wins, 19 losses, 1 relegation, clubs records for poor performance, 17th in League One to bottom of League Two.

I'd have thought it would have been nothing short of miraculous if Michael Brown ever got given a management job at a professional football club.

Bruno Ribeiro is ten times the manager Brown was, and he's awful!

5 hours ago, Wrex said:

34 games, 6 wins, 19 losses, 1 relegation, clubs records for poor performance, 17th in League One to bottom of League Two.

I'd have thought it would have been nothing short of miraculous if Michael Brown ever got given a management job at a professional football club.

fair dos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Episode 13 is out now!

After 161 days, the Vale are back in action! We start by getting over-excited about a pre-season defeat to Blackpool, before touching on the weeks news. After that we go in to our review of 2nd half of the 2019/2020 season before the abrupt ending to lower league football.  

Please subscribe and pass on to your friends!

If you have any thoughts on the items we discuss, please reply to us on here and we're happy to debate!

Available as ever on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (And some other platforms as well!). Also you can listen on the Podbean app or on the website at https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

And once you've listened to the podcast and you want to submit your all-time Vale XIs in to join in our discussion next Sunday, here's the criteria:

- The players picked must be from your time watching Vale e.g I started 92/93 so nobody before then for me

- 4-4-2 only - Until Askey arrived we've stuck pretty stringently to that formation. No switching to 5-3-2 so you can fit Randy Samuel, Jermaine Holwyn and Colin Miles in the same team 

- 5 subs allowed - 1 keeper, 1 defender, 2 midfielders and 1 striker. 

It'd be great to hear why you've picked those players for your XI. Enjoy and we'll bring people's up when we're doing it next Sunday!

On 13/08/2020 at 09:23, Wrex said:

He’s a clueless as a pundit on sky sports aswell