onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

I really love the podcast, thank you. It is very well done. I'd love to know what the funny business going on behind the scenes under Aspin was, All very strange.

Yeah there is a story to tell there for sure. Don't think we'll ever truly hear it though.

• Like 1

Advert

New to these podcasts. Really enjoying them. Nice to see a measured discussion about the current squad players without the knee jerk reaction or criticisms you see sometimes on here and definitely see on social media.

The  Dodds episode is excellent, I love hearing what goes on at a football club. I hear stories now from people in the club and being interested in football I find it fascinating because it’s a whole different world to a normal workplace. If only fans knew what goes on because it’s a lot different than maybe they think. Really interesting stuff. 

Edited by PV1973

On 05/08/2020 at 13:58, toyahw said:

Probably. But Aspin's heart never seemed to be in it either. Not dirt digging here, just curious. Would be great if the lads could bring Aspin in. And Smurthwaite...

Keep up the good work stupers.

On the pod, I said I heard that Aspin was hardly ever there, and it wasn't disputed by Doddsy. We had a chat about how we could delve deeper in to that period and who with, so hopefully we find a way. I certainly would find it interesting too, it was a bizarre time.

Thanks for the good wishes, and I'll pass that on to the other two.

On 06/08/2020 at 09:15, PV1973 said:

New to these podcasts. Really enjoying them. Nice to see a measured discussion about the current squad players without the knee jerk reaction or criticisms you see sometimes on here and definitely see on social media.

The  Dodds episode is excellent, I love hearing what goes on at a football club. I hear stories now from people in the club and being interested in football I find it fascinating because it’s a whole different world to a normal workplace. If only fans knew what goes on because it’s a lot different than maybe they think. Really interesting stuff. 

Thanks for saying you're enjoying them, it does mean a lot! 

We're hopefully having another player on from that era in a few weeks. Not sure if we'll all stay measured when the games start, but we'll see! 

Episode 12 is out now!

Stu, Bez and Jonny are back with the latest news from Vale Park. The new kit is a hot topic, we look at how salary caps affect the Vale and we discuss our new signing, Danny Whitehead. Then it's in to a season review of 2019/2020. We look at August to November this week. A quick pick of significant games in each month, and a run through of progress made.

I know people on here had talked about a theme. We gave one a go this week so let me know what you think! We've got at least one more to try out.

Please subscribe and pass on to your friends!

If you have any thoughts on the items we discuss, please reply to us on here and we're happy to debate!

Available as ever on Apple, Google and Spotify podcasts (And some other platforms as well!). Also you can listen on the Podbean app or on the website at https://aleandthevale.podbean.com

As well as delving deeper into the Aspin era and the unprofessionalism quoted by Askey at the time he took over, other interesting topics from the past would be...

Sinnott ... Was he deliberately undermined by Glover, was he given enough time? Or was he just out of his depth.

Similarly Bruno.... Why the sudden drop off after a promising start? Was Brown involved in that to further his own opportunities.

Page, Norman and Exeter in the cup. Was he really going to get sacked live on TV? Norman addressing fans on the coach after the game etc. Should Smurf have been sectioned for his own wellbeing?

Billy Bell's biscuit tin. Dodgy attendances at Vale park, and the mystery of the Dave Brammer sale.

With the Bruno era I think we could all see from the start of the season that it was going to eventually come crashing down at some point. We picked up results but I’m not sure how, as we were truly awful in most games and getting overran on most occasions. I imagine scouting us for the start of the season would also have played a part - as we were a pure unknown.

• Like 1

With the Bruno era I think we could all see from the start of the season that it was going to eventually come crashing down at some point. We picked up results but I’m not sure how, as we were truly awful in most games and getting overran on most occasions. I imagine scouting us for the start of the season would also have played a part - as we were a pure unknown.
I remember being behind the goal at the Kids grove Athletic friendly watching the keepers warm up and being staggered that the goalkeeping coach didn't speak a word of English. I remember him trying to communicate entirely by gestures and sign language. With Jak Alnwick visibly frustrated and (I think it was) Ryan Boot looking utterly bemused. The writing was on the wall from early doors, but at times in that early part of the season (Wigan and Scunthorpe if I remember rightly) we looked like we could be unplayable going forward.

1 hour ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

Similarly Bruno.... Why the sudden drop off after a promising start? Was Brown involved in that to further his own opportunities.

Going off his management spell after Bruno left maybe there isn't much difference between Brown intentionally sabotaging things and Brown doing his best to help the team.

7 hours ago, maccapvfc said:

I'm with you. I've said pretty much from the start of the pod, that I had a bad feeling after the Bradford game. I remember us playing well at home to Scunthorpe, and then I don't remember a whole lot of good after that. Between beating MK Dons at the start of October, we won once between then and the end of December. And it wasn't like we were playing well and losing either! My thought has always been that given the run we were on, relegation was a formality under Bruno by the time we left. I'm not saying Brown did a good job, but he got us closer to staying up than Bruno would, in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Smallthorne Dog said:

As well as delving deeper into the Aspin era and the unprofessionalism quoted by Askey at the time he took over, other interesting topics from the past would be...

Sinnott ... Was he deliberately undermined by Glover, was he given enough time? Or was he just out of his depth.

Page, Norman and Exeter in the cup. Was he really going to get sacked live on TV? Norman addressing fans on the coach after the game etc. Should Smurf have been sectioned for his own wellbeing?

Billy Bell's biscuit tin. Dodgy attendances at Vale park, and the mystery of the Dave Brammer sale.

Some interesting topics Rob. As part of the plan for the season, we're looking to do maybe a guest interview once a month. Some of the names we have in mind would be able to help us out a bit with some of the questions you have there.

• Like 1

Just watched the underthecosh interview with Carl Dickinson. Changed my opinion on Dan Jones a little. If you guys could get some more players from that era on, like Doddsy was, that'd be brilliant.

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1

Plenty of ex-players to go for Stupers if you can get them. I'd love to hear how Simon Simon Mills ended up as a drayman, and how he felt about the "no hair" chant. When he had plenty of hair. Just not necessarily in the right places.

Keep up the good work. It is nice to see that your efforts are being appreciated.

Now, if you could find Keith Ryder - that would be a blockbuster.